ANOTHER "new" retro game console

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

van

ANOTHER "new" retro game console

Post by van » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:02 pm

Has anybody gotten wind of this yet? A new modular retro game console.

Polymega Website

Looks ambitious.

DPrinny

Re: ANOTHER "new" retro game console

Post by DPrinny » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:41 pm

Think I heard something about this months ago, the disc access part of it could be interesting if its not a slow as smeg drive

Faster loading Neo Geo CD games would be awesome

Analog

Post by Analog » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:07 pm

DPrinny wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:41 pm
Think I heard something about this months ago, the disc access part of it could be interesting if its not a slow as smeg drive

Faster loading Neo Geo CD games would be awesome
speed /loading comparison from the polymega channel;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IccQcMmQhg

i'm interested in this. if they can get saturn expansion in there I might be on board, i'm interested in pc engine and saturn as I really don't want to get either consoles due to their failing cd parts. also region free would be amazing and another thing pushing me towards buying.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:39 pm

the Saturn dont fail as much as the Playstation does, id have no interest in using it for that as I have a few different ones with different mods

Bloody hell, thats fast, pending price I might get one for it

Analog

Post by Analog » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:00 pm

DPrinny wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:39 pm
the Saturn dont fail as much as the Playstation does, id have no interest in using it for that as I have a few different ones with different mods

Bloody hell, thats fast, pending price I might get one for it
price for the base I think they said less than a nintendo switch. so that could be £278 then. :)

tbh it wouldn't surprise me if it were expensive. if it's cheap that would be great.

edit;
i've never had a saturn, been reluctant to invest as I have heard about hardware problems. so the saturn hardware holds up better than the ps1? interesting. I know early ps1's had hardware issues but thought the later models were generally pretty reliable and tough. mine lasted ages and had heavy use.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:09 pm

Interesting. I'd been watching the Atari thing, hadn't noticed this.

I'll keep an eye with interest and reserve judgement. Many of these retro things look cool but tend to get buggered up by being cheap stuff with a premium price tag.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:45 pm

I've got a sneaking suspicion that it's basically going to be another of these devices that lets you dump your cartridges and discs into its internal storage and then emulates them, so I'm a bit meh in that respect. It's not like it'll let me play anything I can't already manage on the Raspberry Pi.

That said, if it's easy to use and you're a stickler for playing games with the original controllers and peripherals it might have something to offer. I guess we'll just have to see how their "hybrid emulation" stacks up, as well as what the final price is, of course.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:05 am

Analog wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:00 pm
edit;
i've never had a saturn, been reluctant to invest as I have heard about hardware problems. so the saturn hardware holds up better than the ps1? interesting. I know early ps1's had hardware issues but thought the later models were generally pretty reliable and tough. mine lasted ages and had heavy use.
Out of the 5 ive got at home 2 dont work

Its probably the wort time to get into the Saturn, game prices are going up for it