Best and worst Multi Loaders

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

TheDude18

Best and worst Multi Loaders

Post by TheDude18 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:20 am

While we have all experienced loading screens during a particular game, nothing was worse than loading a game on an 8 bit machine by tape only to come across a multi-loading game. It was understandable on why some games required it - Games were becoming more and more complex and required far more memory than the format of choice would allow. Some would only require a short amount of time to load, or have a system in place where you wouldn't have to re-load that segment again or even music while they load the next level. While others...............lets just say I hope you had the latest copy of C&VG, Your Amstrad, Razzle (delete as appropriate) to hand.

So what are your experiences of the dreaded multi-load? What about newer consoles or formats? Here's three for starters -

Last Ninja 2 (C64 - Tape) A classic. Each level was loaded separately. However as the levels were long in length and could be quite intense at times, you welcomed the break! Then the's amazing loading music! Some of the best tracks on the C64, each level and load had its own distinctive music.

Sly Spy (C64 - Tape, Pack In version) Oh boy! Want to start a new book? Now's the time. I loved the game and it looks good, sounds fantastic, includes a lot (if not all) of the arcade features and levels. Each load seem to take an age, you even have to load the opening screen! Also the first several levels are extremely short - the opening level takes around a minute to complete! No loading music in-between levels, no indication on how long is left, you couldn't even go and come back as the level would start automatically!

Airborne Ranger (C64 - Tape) Two tapes. TWO TAPES! Bar instructions on which tape and side to use there was nothing. Zip. At least the levels were a suitable length, something to get your teeth into. I also owned the budget re-release as one of my tapes played up. It came on only one tape, yet the instructions for both tapes remained! "Please insert tape two, side a" What tape two?!?!?!!?

Antiriad2097

Re: Best and worst Multi Loaders

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:38 am

Gunship (C64 Tape). Like Airborne Ranger, there was a lot of preliminary stuff, so it took about half an hour to get in to the game. Worth the wait though. Just like Airborne Ranger. Worst in terms of length of load time, but at least the game took a while, unlike...

Turbo Outrun (C64 Tape). Take an age to load the sampled music intro, then wait for the game, play for a minute, then if you don't reach the goal, reload. So bad, I played it about 3 times and chalked it up to experience. Shame, as the game engine is good.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

thingonaspring

Post by thingonaspring » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:10 am

Never went back to it to see if it really was all that bad, or if I just lost patience, but I remember Body Blows (Amiga) being tediously dull switching between all four discs for ages, for a single fight.

lupogtiboy

Post by lupogtiboy » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:11 am

Rise of the Robots on the Amiga. 10 discs?! Really? Even with a 2nd drive it was tedious, and then the massive let down when you actually played it as well......
Its small, its fast, its just gone past! www.clublupo.co.uk

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:16 pm

Monkey Island 2 on Amiga; sometimes required switching of discs just to complete a characters animation. Would like to say it was worth it due to it being a class gamr, but it made it simply unplayable. I bought a hard drive just to play that game; on hd it playrd perfectly.

Also LOTR on the Speccy. Anyone who played this game will know what im talking about
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"