SNES Mini Announced

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

TheDude18

Re: SNES Mini Announced

Post by TheDude18 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:32 pm

Sephiroth81 wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:44 pm
I've asked this over at the Retrocanteen as well, but does anyone know for sure whether the SNES controllers that are supplied with the SNES Mini, will connect to Wiimotes for Wii and Wii U software? It would of course be great for Virtual Console games on the Wii, but also homebrew stuff.

I've not seen any pictures yet to suggest that the connections are the same as they are on the NES-Classic Mini (although the front where the SNES ports are on the mini, seems to be just a flap which then reveals the actual controller ports - i just can't see what they look like). The assumption from many seems to think they'll be compatible, but I'm not convinced yet. Would certainly be a great selling point for me (and i'm sure many others) if these SNES -mini controllers can be used on the Wii!
Batman mentioned this in an earlier post too. Like Sephiroth, this is also a big selling point for me as a big Wii user. I cant seem to find anything concrete online on it though.

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:47 pm

Found this site which mentions the Mini SNES can be played with the classic/pro pads of the Wii & WiiU, which I'm assuming means the SNES joypads should also work the other way around?
https://arstechnica.co.uk/gaming/2017/0 ... comments=1

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:15 pm

TheDude18 wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:47 pm
Found this site which mentions the Mini SNES can be played with the classic/pro pads of the Wii & WiiU, which I'm assuming means the SNES joypads should also work the other way around?
Thats awesome news - thanks! I saw a video about an hour ago as well, and could see the port on the Mini-SNES (US edition), and they did look remarkably like the ones on the Wii-mote. So I think this is probably going to be a reality, which is great, as I adore the original SNES pads, and felt the classic-controllers on the Wii were not up to the same standard (although decent enough).

ALK Temp

Post by ALK Temp » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:06 pm

TheDude18 wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:47 pm
Yes, they use the same connectors as the controllers you plug into Wiimotes. Since the NES Mini's Controllers worked with Wii and Wii U Virtual Console games, and there's already a Club Nintendo SNES Controller for Wii and Wii U, its pretty simple to make.

Though I guess the value of my Club Nintendo SNES controller won't be dropping in value after all.... :lol:

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:57 am

There are some available to pre-order in Game -
http://www.game.co.uk/en/super-nintendo ... on-2024185

ALK Temp

Post by ALK Temp » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:25 pm

Amazon has switched to a 1 per customer route and has been cancelling bulk orders. Hopefully they'll have more to order soon.

ommadawnyawn

Post by ommadawnyawn » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:25 pm

It's twice as expensive over here. :/
Mini-reviews & Lists: http://minirevver.weebly.com/, Youtube (chiptunes, romhacks): https://www.youtube.com/user/Alianger/videos, Retro game mockups: http://alianger.imgur.com/

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:20 pm

Some more info and photos of the Mini Snes (including joypad connections)
https://www.polygon.com/2017/6/30/15874 ... ons-photos

ZXSabreman

Post by ZXSabreman » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:09 pm

Managed to get a preorder today at Game, still had two left as well so I'm well happy. Not sure why they are charging £79.99 tho as I thought the rrp is £69.99
"Time fades even legend..."

binaryRooster

Post by binaryRooster » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:26 pm

There have been quite a lot of stock going up at various retailers in the last couple of weeks - i bet some of those people who paid £200 for a pre-order on ebay on that first day are feeling a bit sheepish right now.

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:21 pm

ZXSabreman wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:09 pm
Managed to get a preorder today at Game, still had two left as well so I'm well happy. Not sure why they are charging £79.99 tho as I thought the rrp is £69.99
I'm in a similar boat - My pre-order from Nintnedo uk is £69.99, while the pre-order from Smyths is £79.99

ALK

Post by ALK » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:14 pm

Yeah, my local Game still as preorder posters still up. Should really ask but ugh, with the TV bust I dunno if I'll have £50 to put down on one for a good while....
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

Analog

Post by Analog » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:31 am

looks like US customers got screwed by walmart;

https://www.theverge.com/2017/7/26/1604 ... cellations
Walmart confirmed today that it will in fact be canceling all of those SNES Classic preorders it accidentally accepted last week when the product page was mistakenly put live. The company is notifying preorder holders via email — some of whom are game journalists who’ve posted the note to Twitter — saying, “We know that this is incredibly disappointing to you, and we’re truly sorry for this mistake.” Well, there you have it, folks: the SNES Classic preorder party is over, at least for now.

“Unfortunately, due to a technical glitch, the Super Nintendo Classic Edition was mistakenly made available last Friday evening ahead of the official release date,” Deserie Dulaney, the senior director for customer care at Walmart, writes in the email. “We, regrettably, will have to cancel this item on your order.” Walmart did not charge those who purchased via credit card — the retailer, like many others, only does so when the item ships — and those who did pay via PayPal or with a gift card and had the amount withdrawn from their account are getting refunds.

It’s unclear how many orders Walmart accepted in the small window of time last Friday when the coveted throwback mini console was “available.” Those who did notice that the page for the SNES Classic was put live starting around 11:30PM ET were able to put in their credit card info and even got a confirmed October 6th arrival date. It all seemed so promising.

https://twitter.com/kobunheat/status/89 ... 72/photo/1

But Walmart customer service representatives began clarifying through the company’s website and on Twitter that the SNES Classic “was not scheduled to be displayed” and was “released too soon.” Walmart then began canceling orders seemingly at random. The whole affair sent Nintendo fans into a frenzy, as some users held onto the faint glimmer of hope that only some, and not all, of the orders would be canceled — and that perhaps their own would be spared. The confusion and miscommunication continued all throughout the weekend and well into this week, as some preorder customers still saw their orders as “processing” on Walmart.com.

That it took the retailer nearly a week to begin issuing a definitive answer on the cancellations will likely not go over well with the game community, many of whom are tired and frustrated with Nintendo’s supply tactics and its lack of communication around SNES Classic availability. Yet as recent history has shown time and again, nothing short of global catastrophe will prevent a popular nostalgia-fueled Nintendo product from selling out in seconds.

Nintendo has opened preorders for the device overseas, including on Amazon UK, but there’s no word yet on when or even if North American customers will be able to put orders in before the September 29th release date. When the SNES Classic does become available, however, we can expect the same crowds to scramble once more in an attempt to secure their own unit. The question now is which retailer will be the first to sell the product without breaking people’s hearts first.
this means there will be a lot of people that will have to go through the hassle of making sure they get one all over again.

Analog

Post by Analog » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:25 pm

a lot of annoyed gamers in the states in regards to the snes mini, promises from nintendo about how it would be different than the nes mini classic but so far not materialising (lets hope they have more stock long term) apparently it went up for pre orders at 2am.... from what I can tell from a lot of the yt retro gamers I check up on they weren't even gonna get themselves hyped for it, because they knew going into it they wouldn't get one regardless. some people flat out said they are not buying it.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:38 pm

Hang on a darn tootin minute

I think I still have mine on preorder