SNES Mini Announced

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

gman72

Re: SNES Mini Announced

Post by gman72 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:06 pm

I managed to get one ordered from VERY.com but I think they're out of stock now.

Its a cool, little device and I'm looking forward to playing some cool Nintendo games.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Analog

Post by Analog » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:15 pm

Negative Creep wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:59 pm
TheDude18 wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:52 am
batman877 wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:01 am
OK, so this is my third post on this topic... :x

I simply don't understand why people are getting so upset about the limited availability. If you were really interested in this product (which I am) then you could have signed up to plenty of 'notifications' on various sites, or kept your eye on social media. I had an email from GAME saying that it was up for pre-order... a couple of hours later I checked ShopTo (my preferred online site) to see if they were taking pre-orders... they were... I pre-ordered it, no money down. Had a confirmation email saying my pre-order was guaranteed. Job done.

I also don't understand why people are moaning about the product itself. If you don't like it, simply forget it exists and move on. Personally I think it looks like another wonderful item with carefully chosen titles and the added bonus of the first official release of StarFox 2! I have all of these games on either original cart, virtual console or emulation, but I still want this as I love the HD presentation, the overall design of the machine and the fact I can get hold of another wii compatible SNES controller!

In terms of Nintendo's behaviour regarding limited stock... they are mass producing the Switch, another iteration of the 3DS family (the new 2DS XL) and several first party titles for both consoles. How much resource do you think they have? This product is a niche item aimed at collectors... it's amazing that they are even bothering to create such a product. Maybe it's because they want to give their hardcore fans something back? I agree that a lot of free marketing is going to come out of this... but let's stop assuming that they're simply out to do one over on us all! :D

Sorry for the rant! :oops:
I have to agree with Batman on all his points here. While I do use a lot of emulation and yes the mini SNES will also use emulation, I (like many others on here) like to collect. The SNES is my favourite console even though I dont have one at this time. The mini version will keep me entertained and will be well worth the final asking price from my point of view.
Quick question - is it confirmed that the controllers will be compatible with the Wii ala the Mini NES?

Also I still have 2 consoles on pre-order. I only need the one and would be happy to help out anyone else on here trying to get one. Not sure how it would work, postage, paying etc. especially as I havent met anyone on here , but Just trying to help.
The problem is not everyone can afford one straight away, and if you don't have the money at the time the scalpers will ensure you won't be able to get one for a long time yet.
yea, this was the point I was trying to make. unless nintendo make larger quantities of this then it will be the same situation as the nes mini classic. a regular games console we can pick up at any point in its lifespan if and when we have the funds to do so as companies continue to produce new stock. with the nes classic mini, you have to buy it within a window of opportunity or pay marked up scalper prices. nintendo only announced it on monday and then pre-orders are out, not long after pre-orders are full. at least if they announced this on a nintendo direct or earlier in the year, the public would have got a headstart and would have been able to set aside something for it perhaps. I know that there might still be places where you can pre-order but there are a lot of people that have to prioritise their money and so games that are this expensive are not top of the list. it's not just a question of money either, some people can't decide if they want it or not, people should be free to be given the time to decide if a product is for them or not.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:34 am

Yeah I agree with most points there, except the availability thing is definitely unfair. Preorders need to be available for a set time and produce the thing accordingly- so those that want them can get them. Yes if you struggle later that is tough luck for the consumer- but to be 'sold out' during preorder time is pretty harsh, it's just creating ridiculous demand for scalpers to have a field day in.

binaryRooster

Post by binaryRooster » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:28 am

Up now on Argos as well for £69.99.

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:14 am

Treguard wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:26 pm
TheDude18 wrote:

Also I still have 2 consoles on pre-order. I only need the one and would be happy to help out anyone else on here trying to get one. Not sure how it would work, postage, paying etc. especially as I haven't met anyone on here , but Just trying to help.
Might have to take you up on this. I THINK I have one ordered at Grainger Games now, but their sites been very flaky.
Let me know how you get on Treguard, I'll hold on to the order for a bit and if you want it we can sort something out. It's the one from shop to which they have originally quoted at £79 but as a few have mentioned on here, they have dropped their prices to suit in the past. I've also had the confirmation email from them.

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:33 pm

TheDude18 wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:14 am
Treguard wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:26 pm
TheDude18 wrote:

Also I still have 2 consoles on pre-order. I only need the one and would be happy to help out anyone else on here trying to get one. Not sure how it would work, postage, paying etc. especially as I haven't met anyone on here , but Just trying to help.
Might have to take you up on this. I THINK I have one ordered at Grainger Games now, but their sites been very flaky.
Let me know how you get on Treguard, I'll hold on to the order for a bit and if you want it we can sort something out. It's the one from shop to which they have originally quoted at £79 but as a few have mentioned on here, they have dropped their prices to suit in the past. I've also had the confirmation email from them.
Thanks mate will do. It's not like you won't have opportunity to sell it on otherwise.

dste

Post by dste » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:43 pm

Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:49 pm

Ordered mine with Smyth's. Hope they come through ok! Outrageously excited for this.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

ALK Temp

Post by ALK Temp » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:05 pm

Well, least it looks like more retailers have it at least (Till they sell out of course.). Don't think the NES Mini was sold that much outside of the usual places like Game, Amazon, Shopto and Nintendo's Store was it?

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:45 am

The main bug bear with the Mini SNES is the lack of information regarding the number of units available, if it will be a limited release etc. Especially after the initial release of the Mini NES and how that was handled. Scalpers were quick off the mark with the NES, but with the SNES, it's been a struggle to purchase one since they announced its release. As someone else has already posted (and put across very well) it's all publicity for Nintendo. Strangely though, from what I have seen/read so far, there has been far more publicity for the Mini SNES than the Switch! Another augment for Nintendo hanging on to previous successes?

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:03 am

TheDude18 wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:45 am
The main bug bear with the Mini SNES is the lack of information regarding the number of units available, if it will be a limited release etc. Especially after the initial release of the Mini NES and how that was handled. Scalpers were quick off the mark with the NES, but with the SNES, it's been a struggle to purchase one since they announced its release. As someone else has already posted (and put across very well) it's all publicity for Nintendo. Strangely though, from what I have seen/read so far, there has been far more publicity for the Mini SNES than the Switch! Another augment for Nintendo hanging on to previous successes?
Fair points for sure. They know the Mini SNES is going to be a goldmine judging by the massive success of the Mini NES and it's collectable status. But the Mini NES could have been even more successful if handled a little better, and I thought due to that lessons would be learnt for the SNES. They must know scalpers will have a field day if not handled correctly. Not sure what the perfect answer is, but the main thing is to ensure those who want one can preorder without a 'sorry sold out' popping up.
The one thing they have stated is that it's production will only be for the remainder of the year though isn't it?

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:20 am

I've decided against one. Gonna keep my money and put it towards the Switch I want and the new 8bitdo Snes controller.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:44 pm

I've asked this over at the Retrocanteen as well, but does anyone know for sure whether the SNES controllers that are supplied with the SNES Mini, will connect to Wiimotes for Wii and Wii U software? It would of course be great for Virtual Console games on the Wii, but also homebrew stuff.

I've not seen any pictures yet to suggest that the connections are the same as they are on the NES-Classic Mini (although the front where the SNES ports are on the mini, seems to be just a flap which then reveals the actual controller ports - i just can't see what they look like). The assumption from many seems to think they'll be compatible, but I'm not convinced yet. Would certainly be a great selling point for me (and i'm sure many others) if these SNES -mini controllers can be used on the Wii!

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:01 pm

From looking about it says they are
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:06 pm

DPrinny wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:01 pm
From looking about it says they are
I hope this is the case. I wouldn't bet the parrot on it though.