SNES Mini Announced

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Analog

Re: SNES Mini Announced

Post by Analog » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:46 am

DPrinny wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:05 am
Analog wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:51 am
I had the same problem with the last round of amiibo, they just sold out way too fast for me. not sure if I will get the mini snes, I didn't get the mini nes either. if they just had reasonable stock levels and a guarantee they would restock then I would say fine, I will buy it when I have the money. but it's not always convenient to have to pay for this stuff at a specific time within a window of opportunity. sometimes I just don't have the money to spare!
The only way to stop the scalpers is to flood the market

All of a sudden heres a million of them and weekly restocks
They will still try to scalp them, but only the idiots will pay way over the odds

WAIT A MIN!!
Its a Official NINTENDO branded product
THEY WILL ALREADY OVERPAY!!
they are not idiots, they are just people that want to buy a nintendo product. people have no idea whether their products are going to be restocked or not, they are offered no assurances and there appears to be no consistency with how they restock. amiibo sold out, people had no idea whether more would be made so a lot of people panic buy. the mini nes comes out people are like oh don't worry they will restock them, they did eventually with amiibo and then they shock everyone by telling them no more will be made. I have no idea whether this snes will be a limited thing or not. they leave their customers in utter confusion sometimes. its literally a competition to be able to buy their products with other customers as no one knows whether their latest side product thing will become rare or not. I love nintendo products, but their business practices in the last couple of years drive me utterly mad.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:00 pm

Its still idiotic, they want it and that want it NOW and are willing to over pay for it.

Nothing new from Nintendo will be rare, same with those limited editions, in most cases more of them are sold than the normal one.

At the end of the day, some people need to stop and think

Do I need this?
Do I really need this?
Then do the "Toss a coin" method (If it lands on the side for buy and you are still thinking not to then dont)

Analog

Post by Analog » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:12 pm

the reason they want it to buy now is because they don't know if more will be made! or whether the price will increase on places like ebay? the nes classic cannot be bought for the rrp. so you suggest they wait, while the price just goes up and up getting more out of reach. who knows what the price will be of these things in 5 or 10 years time? they might decrease in value but they could just end up getting more and more expensive? there is clearly a huge demand for them.

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:14 pm

I'm just trolling all of the scummy scalpers, by using some disposable ebay accounts and buying them all up just to never pay them. Giving them some false joy of a purchase only to end up with hassle of relisting items etc, will put a lovely smile on my face. :D

For people who pay over the odds for these things with buy it now, are just adding fuel to the fire.

pratty

Post by pratty » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:34 pm

I'd like to get one, but if I'm honest it would probably be cheaper and easier to buy the the games I'm most interested in for my Wii U. :|
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

gman72

Post by gman72 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:52 pm

No pre-orders can now be found anywhere... :(
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:33 pm

ShopTo had availability about 30 mins ago (now gone). I suspect that people are canceling with ShopTo after getting one for less at Nintendo's store.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

ALK Temp

Post by ALK Temp » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:09 pm

Urg, missed out on Nintendo's Preorders. The only preorder I was able to nab was an order on Game.co.uk, which concerns me as to it even arriving.

Guess I'll just have to hope maybe they'll have another batch released for preorders before release.... @_@

batman877

Post by batman877 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:36 pm

I remember when I pre-ordered the NES Mini from ShopTo it was listed at around £75. On release they charged me £45! Be patient... they have pre-order stock available right now. If you want one just pre-order and relax. I imagine it will cost around £50 when September comes...

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:43 pm

ALK Temp wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:09 pm
Urg, missed out on Nintendo's Preorders. The only preorder I was able to nab was an order on Game.co.uk, which concerns me as to it even arriving.

Guess I'll just have to hope maybe they'll have another batch released for preorders before release.... @_@
Dont they usually only take the money out when they are sending it?

ALK Temp

Post by ALK Temp » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:03 pm

DPrinny wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:43 pm
ALK Temp wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:09 pm

Dont they usually only take the money out when they are sending it?
Yes, but I've heard of cases where Game accept more preorders then actual stock they end up getting when it comes to the really limited stuff, thus end up cancelling some orders.

But who knows, maybe they'll trim all those multiple orders to the same address and/or go for a 1 per customer route. Not that it always works but better chances of getting one I hope. @_@

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:33 pm

wow.. here in Australia theyre already sold out at the places I went to... what were they selling, 3 per site? Its ridiculous.

No doubt Nintendo has done this on purpose, because no way could they have been so extremely popular in such a short period of time, no chance. They gave like 100 to each place and most would have been bought by the people working there, its just marketing in my opinion, they will cash in on this in other ways. Probably a system with 50 games in the near future, because 21 is just ridiculous quite frankly.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:23 am

Guys guys guys guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuyyyyyyyyyyyyssssssssssssssssssss.............

What if
Nintendo are scalping them them selfs

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:32 am

Preordered one, but you just don't know until you get it I guess, you are always a bit concerned despite the strict one per customer order they will oversell the preorders and scalping pricks will have a field day having ordered from different sites with different accounts.

Incredible stuff, the demand for these- Old games when all is said and done! :wink:

Gigifusc

Post by Gigifusc » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:23 am

Coming at this from a VERY cynical angle myself. Nintendo release two retro based consoles in extremely limited number.

Why?

To make money? Ok, let's do the numbers:

2.3M mini NES sold at a cost average of about £50 (That was the RRP - Nintendo doesn't make extra money for higher retail prices, that goes directly to the shop).
That equals about £115M.

Lot of money no?

Let's compare that to the Switch. Average £280 x 3M sold TD (after only some 4/5 odd months.)
That equals about £840M

Breath of the Wild sold about 3M copies at an average of £50.
That equals £150M.

These are all aroundabout numbers don't forget - not precise! And of course don't forget that those numbers aren't what goes into Nintendo's pockets - they're just the total sales values created for the individual products.

So if we look at those figures, the NES mini equated to the development of a video game. The cost of dev, marketing etc was probably about the same as an average game (likely less than the dev costs of Zelda).

In the case of the Switch, the sales are restricted simply because they can't make enough of them quickly enough to sell. There is no current finite number - they will continue to be built and sold for several years still.

In the case of BotW, as with most games, there is no limit and they are on the shelves and being sold freely to customers.

So why is the mini different? Why limit that stock when it looks as though they could have sold a LOT more and made a LOT more money?

Well, let's think about the situation itself: Nintendo announce a product that gets consumers excited. They release it and it sells out very quickly. Prices on ebay etc go sky high. But at this point, they are making no more money out of it. So what do they get? Marketing. Free marketing. The story of consumers going mad to get their hands on the latest must-have thing is worth tens if not hundreds of millions worldwide. Imagine, almost every games site will have reported this story - no marketing money needed by Nintendo. Worldwide, many tech sites will have reported the story. free marketing. Worldwide, many mainstream news sites will have reported this story. Free marketing.

Marketing at this level (worldwide) is a very expensive thing and they get it for free by creating their own narrative. Share prices go up, investment goes up, Nintendo as a business comes out of it looking very, very sweet. Happy shareholders is #1 top priority for any business.

And we're about to see round 2 played out with the Snes mini.

That's my take on it anyway.

Me? I'll carry on playing near perfect versions of those game emulated on my system of choice. I can play them as authentically as I want or I can add visual filters to give them a bit of a visual overhaul but most importantly for me, I get to play them with save slots which are a bloody awesome feature.