Reasons to get a PS3

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

User avatar
DPrinny
Posts: 24355
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Super Mancyland

Re: Reasons to get a PS3

Post by DPrinny » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:55 pm

Jimmy Corkhill wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:51 pm
For me, it just feels so soulless compared to the first two Playstation consoles, owned one four times now, and it just doesn't seem to click.
No thats just the ps3/360 machines to current,

Oh look its another FPS or 3rd person game

Jimmy Corkhill
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:20 pm

Re: Reasons to get a PS3

Post by Jimmy Corkhill » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:37 pm

DPrinny wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:55 pm
Jimmy Corkhill wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:51 pm
For me, it just feels so soulless compared to the first two Playstation consoles, owned one four times now, and it just doesn't seem to click.
No thats just the ps3/360 machines to current,

Oh look its another FPS or 3rd person game

Oh my God indeed! Sick of shooters and FIFA games, I'd like to see a revival in platforming games personally.

User avatar
DPrinny
Posts: 24355
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Super Mancyland

Re: Reasons to get a PS3

Post by DPrinny » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:27 pm

Jimmy Corkhill wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:37 pm
DPrinny wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:55 pm
Jimmy Corkhill wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:51 pm
For me, it just feels so soulless compared to the first two Playstation consoles, owned one four times now, and it just doesn't seem to click.
No thats just the ps3/360 machines to current,

Oh look its another FPS or 3rd person game

Oh my God indeed! Sick of shooters and FIFA games, I'd like to see a revival in platforming games personally.
Indie games wise you are good for them
Theres quite a few good ones that kinda got swept aside,
Rayman Legends is fun

User avatar
SJ_Sathanas
Posts: 1938
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:16 pm
Location: Kent

Re: Reasons to get a PS3

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:31 pm

Jimmy Corkhill wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:37 pm
DPrinny wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:55 pm
Jimmy Corkhill wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:51 pm
For me, it just feels so soulless compared to the first two Playstation consoles, owned one four times now, and it just doesn't seem to click.
No thats just the ps3/360 machines to current,

Oh look its another FPS or 3rd person game

Oh my God indeed! Sick of shooters and FIFA games, I'd like to see a revival in platforming games personally.
I'm not sick of Fifa at all. I haven't played one since Fifa 97.

User avatar
DPrinny
Posts: 24355
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Super Mancyland

Re: Reasons to get a PS3

Post by DPrinny » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:46 pm

SJ_Sathanas wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:31 pm
Jimmy Corkhill wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:37 pm
DPrinny wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:55 pm


No thats just the ps3/360 machines to current,

Oh look its another FPS or 3rd person game

Oh my God indeed! Sick of shooters and FIFA games, I'd like to see a revival in platforming games personally.
I'm not sick of Fifa at all. I haven't played one since Fifa 97.
I think it might of changed a bit since then

OldLou
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:52 pm

Re: Reasons to get a PS3

Post by OldLou » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:00 pm

We finally broke down (it was time) and grabbed one around Christmas. For 30-40 years I've stayed a generation behind the curve for various reasons, it's always served me well.
We've been gathering the hits at a decent clip, as well....trying to build a 'best of' before really settling into any serious playtime...
IMG_2222.JPG
IMG_2222.JPG (2.1 MiB) Viewed 296 times

User avatar
Shinobi
Posts: 7522
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:33 am
Location: The Pride Lands

Re: Reasons to get a PS3

Post by Shinobi » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:57 pm

Friend just texted me and reckons that Sony unveiled HD versions of Ico/Shadows on E3.

I never played Ico and did everything on Shadows got the mask and whistling arrows from the time trails. My grip and health bars where off the screen on the PS2 never managed this on PS3. Be all over this.
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

OldLou
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:52 pm

Re: Reasons to get a PS3

Post by OldLou » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:04 pm

Shinobi wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:57 pm
Friend just texted me and reckons that Sony unveiled HD versions of Ico/Shadows on E3.

I never played Ico and did everything on Shadows got the mask and whistling arrows from the time trails. My grip and health bars where off the screen on the PS2 never managed this on PS3. Be all over this.
Not played them, but I've seen them often enough - wifey is a massive fan of both. She's after the more recent one involving the gigantic bird creature, as well.

User avatar
SJ_Sathanas
Posts: 1938
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:16 pm
Location: Kent

Re: Reasons to get a PS3

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:29 am

Shinobi wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:57 pm
Friend just texted me and reckons that Sony unveiled HD versions of Ico/Shadows on E3.

I never played Ico and did everything on Shadows got the mask and whistling arrows from the time trails. My grip and health bars where off the screen on the PS2 never managed this on PS3. Be all over this.
What? They've remastered it again?
Icon is good. You should try it I think.

User avatar
Sel Feena
Posts: 3506
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:38 pm

Re: Reasons to get a PS3

Post by Sel Feena » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:10 am

OldLou wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:04 pm
Shinobi wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:57 pm
Friend just texted me and reckons that Sony unveiled HD versions of Ico/Shadows on E3.

I never played Ico and did everything on Shadows got the mask and whistling arrows from the time trails. My grip and health bars where off the screen on the PS2 never managed this on PS3. Be all over this.
Not played them, but I've seen them often enough - wifey is a massive fan of both. She's after the more recent one involving the gigantic bird creature, as well.
What they did with Trico in that game was phenomenal. It's definitely worth picking up.
Image

User avatar
Shinobi
Posts: 7522
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:33 am
Location: The Pride Lands

Re: Reasons to get a PS3

Post by Shinobi » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:56 am

OldLou wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:04 pm
Shinobi wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:57 pm
Friend just texted me and reckons that Sony unveiled HD versions of Ico/Shadows on E3.

I never played Ico and did everything on Shadows got the mask and whistling arrows from the time trails. My grip and health bars where off the screen on the PS2 never managed this on PS3. Be all over this.
Not played them, but I've seen them often enough - wifey is a massive fan of both. She's after the more recent one involving the gigantic bird creature, as well.
You should get your wife to play Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom very similar to Ico and one of my fav last gen gamesz. Majin himself is a really charming character.
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

User avatar
Shinobi
Posts: 7522
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:33 am
Location: The Pride Lands

Re: Reasons to get a PS3

Post by Shinobi » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:01 am

SJ_Sathanas wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:29 am
Shinobi wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:57 pm
Friend just texted me and reckons that Sony unveiled HD versions of Ico/Shadows on E3.

I never played Ico and did everything on Shadows got the mask and whistling arrows from the time trails. My grip and health bars where off the screen on the PS2 never managed this on PS3. Be all over this.
What? They've remastered it again?
Icon is good. You should try it I think.
I hope it's true but not watched E3. I had Ico on the PS3 until the disc drive broke and deleted all my saves. I know with the PS2 version either the Pal or NTSC version is supposed to be noticeably better, better Yorda will etc.

I couldn't get out of the first room after rescuing Yorda tried everything then realise I just pull the switch. PS3 broke on me the day after:(
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

ALK Temp
Posts: 89
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:28 pm

Re: Reasons to get a PS3

Post by ALK Temp » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:13 am

SJ_Sathanas wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:29 am
Shinobi wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:57 pm
Friend just texted me and reckons that Sony unveiled HD versions of Ico/Shadows on E3.

I never played Ico and did everything on Shadows got the mask and whistling arrows from the time trails. My grip and health bars where off the screen on the PS2 never managed this on PS3. Be all over this.
What? They've remastered it again?
Icon is good. You should try it I think.
Its actually a full remake, where the last release was just a HD Polish.

User avatar
che_don_john
Posts: 1231
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:51 am

Re: Reasons to get a PS3

Post by che_don_john » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:47 am

AceGrace wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:27 am
My PS3 collection is probably my most cherished.

It has pretty much all of the 360 games plus so much more. I've got it squashed into about 3 cupboards at the moment.
Same here. I think the previous generation was probably the best I've experienced in terms of the range of quality games on offer.

The best PS3 console exclusives, for me, were:
Demon Souls
Heavenly Sword
Heavy Rain
Motorstorm: Apocalypse
Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time
Resistance 2 & 3
The Last of Us
Trine
Uncharted (all three)
Vanquish
Wipeout HD


And the best multi-platform games were:
Assassin's Creed II & Brotherhood
Binary Domain
Bioshock
Borderlands 2
Bulletstorm
Call of Juarez: Gunslinger
The Darkness II
Dead Space
Diablo III
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Dishonoured
Dragon Age Origins
Fallout 3
Far Cry 3
Joe Danger
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
Limbo
Mass Effect
Mirror's Edge
Oblivion
Portal 2
Split/Second
Wolverine Origins


Well worth getting a PS3.
CheDonJohn's Sale/Trade/Wanted/Giveaway thread

PSN ID, XBL Gamertag and Steam: CheDonJohn
Playfire profile

Image

User avatar
SJ_Sathanas
Posts: 1938
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:16 pm
Location: Kent

Re: Reasons to get a PS3

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:41 pm

Vanquish was on 360 as well. Great game though.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests