I need a favour re: Gamecube controller

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

SJ_Sathanas

I need a favour re: Gamecube controller

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:46 pm

I've boight a modified Wii. IT came without any of the stuff needed to use it so I bought a Gamecube controller seperatley. The controller doesn't work but I need to find out if it's the controller or the Wii at fault. Is anyone willing to lend me a known working contoller so I can test the Wii?

It's a Will with the four GC ports in the side. I've tried the controller in all 4 and it doesn't seem to be recognised.

DPrinny

Re: I need a favour re: Gamecube controller

Post by DPrinny » Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:22 pm

First of all

Try using a Wii game that supports GC controllers or any GC game, if that dont work its buggered

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:08 pm

I have a working Wave Bird you can lend I should have a spare power supply Wii remote and Nunchuck and official GameCube memory card you can have for free if you need them?
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:54 pm

DPrinny wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:22 pm
First of all

Try using a Wii game that supports GC controllers or any GC game, if that dont work its buggered

I don't think the presence of a disk will help; I can't even navigate menus. I'm assuming the GC controller is capable of doing so?

Shinobi wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:08 pm
I have a working Wave Bird you can lend I should have a spare power supply Wii remote and Nunchuck and official GameCube memory card you can have for free if you need them?
Does that require a light bar as I don't have one?

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:15 am

SJ_Sathanas wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:54 pm
DPrinny wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:22 pm
First of all

I don't think the presence of a disk will help; I can't even navigate menus. I'm assuming the GC controller is capable of doing so?

No you can only use the Wiimote for Wii menus
But if you start a Wii GC compatablie game or a Gamecube game you can use one

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:10 am

As noted, the Cube controller only becomes active once you've booted a Cube game, until then, it's Wii remote only. Do you have Mario Kart Wii or Smash Bros? Those use the Cube controller.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:36 am

Sounds like I should get a proper Wii controller.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:14 am

SJ_Sathanas wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:36 am
Sounds like I should get a proper Wii controller.
You could try getting a Wii Pro Controller? They're very good control pads. I've got an official black one and the gold Goldeneye one. I used to have a third party white one which was fine, although I think I lent it to somebody and it's not returned, curses.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:15 am

Shinobi wrote:
Ah, what a control pad. I love my Wavebird :D
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:40 pm

Shinobi wrote:
Sorry Shhinobs I didn't see your offer of free stuff! I've already ordered a remote and 'chuck but I think a memory card would be useful.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:45 pm

greenberet79 wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:15 am
Shinobi wrote:
Ah, what a control pad. I love my Wavebird :D
Agreed I bought mine new £5 when Gamestation was selling them off cheap.. Crazy how much they sell for now

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:48 pm

SJ_Sathanas wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:40 pm
Shinobi wrote:
Sorry Shhinobs I didn't see your offer of free stuff! I've already ordered a remote and 'chuck but I think a memory card would be useful.
Did you get a sensor bar as well what else you missing? I got 2 cube memory cards a pokemon 52 meg grey and a black Resident 4 which one do you want? Did your modded Wii come installed with games.. Got a lot of the converted Wads like Starblade,Shock Troopers, Space Harrier etc and Lit, Retro City Rampage and emulators like Final Burn etc

Those games you sent me arrived today and they are greatly appreciated so the memory card is the least I can do

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:49 pm

Shinobi wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:48 pm
SJ_Sathanas wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:40 pm
Shinobi wrote:
Did you get a sensor bar as well what else you missing? I got 2 cube memory cards a pokemon 52 meg grey and a black Resident 4 which one do you want? Did your modded Wii come installed with games.. Got a lot of the converted Wads like Starblade,Shock Troopers, Space Harrier etc and Lit, Retro City Rampage and emulators like Final Burn etc

Those games you sent me arrived today and they are greatly appreciated so the memory card is the least I can do
After the usual Nintendo health warning this is what I'm pesented with;
IMG_1061.JPG
IMG_1061.JPG (1.18 MiB) Viewed 704 times
I'm unable to navigate menus so cannot boot any game discs or anything. I expect the emulators are in the SD card that came with the Wii. I have a GC controller and have ordered a Wii remote and nunchuck. Do I need a sensor bar too? Either memory card would be great thanks.

I should look closer at all this before I bought it.

dste

Post by dste » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:24 pm

You definitely need a remote and nunchuk as you cannot navigate that menu page without them. When you get them plugged in you will see a hand icon if I remember correctly.

You will also need a sensor bar for the remote.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:32 pm

SJ_Sathanas wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:49 pm

After the usual Nintendo health warning this is what I'm pesented with;
IMG_1061.JPG
I'm unable to navigate menus so cannot boot any game discs or anything. I expect the emulators are in the SD card that came with the Wii. I have a GC controller and have ordered a Wii remote and nunchuck. Do I need a sensor bar too? Either memory card would be great thanks.

I should look closer at all this before I bought it.
The emulators should be in the Homebrew channel.. You will need a sensor bar to use the Wii Remote luckily I have 3 so you can have one off mine :D You will also need to sync the Wii remote with the Wii What you need to do is pull the flap down at the front of the Wii and hold the red button here -

Take the battery cover of the wii remote and hold the red button down that is close to the battery the controller will then sync and your good to go

Here's mine sorry about the mess in the photo really need to move those figures out of the way of the TV. I have 3 pages of games mostly wad games all I play is Star Blade and Ninja Gaiden. If you go homebrew channel you should have a list of emulators Atari 7800, Coleco, Mame, Final Burn, Nes, Megadrive/Master System/Mega CD and PC Engine if its anything like mine