James Bond Games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

User avatar
killbot
Posts: 4824
Joined: Thu May 18, 2006 5:36 am

Re: James Bond Games

Post by killbot » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:19 pm

Having thought about it, I think the issue all Bond games face is the nature of the character. Bond's time in the films is more-or-less equally divided between being a detective, following clues and solving puzzles, and being an action hero who gets into fist fights, shootouts and car chases. While the two work together in a movie or a book, it's hard to marry them together successfully in a game. Most games go totally one way or totally the other, and as a result feel like they're missing something. A 'proper' Bond game would be part graphic adventure, part FPS, part fighting game and part driving game but such a diverse range of play styles would probably feel like a total mess when you actually played it. Maybe something like the Arkham games would work; they're primarily action games, but they also have bits where you have to play detective with some light adventure game mechanics.
Image

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

pratty
Posts: 5405
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:13 pm

Re: James Bond Games

Post by pratty » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:43 am

An Arkham type game sounds like a natural evolution, though having said that I never felt the recent Bond games lacked much for not having a lot of puzzle solving. I think cut scenes can convey that aspect of Bond just fine, I'm not against more puzzle solving elements, I just don't think they're necessary.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

User avatar
RetroMartin
Posts: 1679
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:02 pm

Re: James Bond Games

Post by RetroMartin » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:43 pm

pratty wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:43 am
An Arkham type game sounds like a natural evolution, though having said that I never felt the recent Bond games lacked much for not having a lot of puzzle solving. I think cut scenes can convey that aspect of Bond just fine, I'm not against more puzzle solving elements, I just don't think they're necessary.
I always felt something a little more mass effect style with you being able to pick dialogue options to portray Bond how you like and make him look how you like (or go with the actors as 'presets') with cover shooter, driving and some puzzle solving/searching adventure elements would make it quite fun. Chuck in some iconic locations all across the world and you'd be on to a winner.
Image

PSN username - MartinPhantom

pratty
Posts: 5405
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:13 pm

Re: James Bond Games

Post by pratty » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:39 am

RetroMartin wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:43 pm
I always felt something a little more mass effect style with you being able to pick dialogue options to portray Bond how you like and make him look how you like (or go with the actors as 'presets') with cover shooter, driving and some puzzle solving/searching adventure elements would make it quite fun. Chuck in some iconic locations all across the world and you'd be on to a winner.
I'd buy that. If they executed it well the developer could have a hit franchise on their hands.

I wonder how long before a Lego Bond game?
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

User avatar
Ryan GH
Posts: 259
Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:29 pm
Location: Perth Australia

Re: James Bond Games

Post by Ryan GH » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:40 pm

Everything or Nothing on the xbox is the business. Amazing title song, amazing vehicle chases where you can smash through shop windows and perform wild stunts and sometimes so rad it goes into slow-motion for a few seconds...... :P :P :P
Exciting third-person shooting and melee combat too. It was a pleasure to play this from the beginning to the end, I would advise you to play on hard difficulty for a serious challenge though. Don't choose easy you soft nut!!

User avatar
TheDude18
Posts: 1858
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:13 am
Location: South Wales

Re: James Bond Games

Post by TheDude18 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:11 am

Managed to pick up all the PS2 releases -

Goldeneye: Rogue Agent
Everything or Nothing
Nightfire
Agent Under Fire
Quantum of Solice
From Russia with Love

I know some of which are considered a bit pants but I couldn't help collecting a full set. I'm most looking forward to FRWL as I understand is Sean Connery doing the voice acting?! It must have been his last bit of work prior to retirement or that could have been LXG? I'm not sure. Anyway, cant complain just need some free time to play them.
Image

Gigifusc
Posts: 538
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:02 pm

Re: James Bond Games

Post by Gigifusc » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:24 am

killbot wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:19 pm
Having thought about it, I think the issue all Bond games face is the nature of the character. Bond's time in the films is more-or-less equally divided between being a detective, following clues and solving puzzles, and being an action hero who gets into fist fights, shootouts and car chases. While the two work together in a movie or a book, it's hard to marry them together successfully in a game. Most games go totally one way or totally the other, and as a result feel like they're missing something. A 'proper' Bond game would be part graphic adventure, part FPS, part fighting game and part driving game but such a diverse range of play styles would probably feel like a total mess when you actually played it. Maybe something like the Arkham games would work; they're primarily action games, but they also have bits where you have to play detective with some light adventure game mechanics.
I'd say the Uncharted template would be perfect for Bond - a mix of story, linear gameplay that both supports and tells the story as you're playing mixed with action set pieces. Heck, you could almost just re-skin the Uncharted games, add a Bond villain and an impending global attack to the story and your pretty much there.

User avatar
PaulEMoz
Posts: 610
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:11 pm
Location: Co. Durham
Contact:

Re: James Bond Games

Post by PaulEMoz » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:01 pm

Personally, I thought Everything or Nothing was really good. That's my favourite Bond game.

User avatar
Ryan GH
Posts: 259
Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:29 pm
Location: Perth Australia

Re: James Bond Games

Post by Ryan GH » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:26 am

Agreed. And that bloody excellent title song. I used to listen to it two times before continuing a saved game! :P

User avatar
Trixta
Posts: 506
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:18 am

Re: James Bond Games

Post by Trixta » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:08 am

DPrinny wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:00 am
I see people playing Goldeneye at events/weekenders
They play for five minutes
The realise its aged like a mug of tea left in the kitchen
I do work at a gaming bar in cornwall. The amount of people that come in and are like "omg goldeneye, I love that game" After 5-10mins they're left confused wondering why its so awful (we have an in house joke that no one can play it for longer then 20mins).
Image
psn- jason_trixta
wii u - trixtaa
twitter - @jason_trixta

User avatar
DPrinny
Posts: 24373
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Super Mancyland

Re: James Bond Games

Post by DPrinny » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:15 am

On the other hand, Mario Kart still gets tons of play

Speaking of Bond and Goldeneye

http://goldeneyevault.com/viewfile.php?id=349

User avatar
outdated_gamer
Posts: 2599
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:14 pm

Re: James Bond Games

Post by outdated_gamer » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:29 pm

DPrinny wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:15 am
On the other hand, Mario Kart still gets tons of play

Speaking of Bond and Goldeneye

http://goldeneyevault.com/viewfile.php?id=349
This thing is pretty crazy, especially considering it runs quite well (read: playable) on real hardware too.

User avatar
outdated_gamer
Posts: 2599
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:14 pm

Re: James Bond Games

Post by outdated_gamer » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:36 pm

Trixta wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:08 am
I do work at a gaming bar in cornwall. The amount of people that come in and are like "omg goldeneye, I love that game" After 5-10mins they're left confused wondering why its so awful (we have an in house joke that no one can play it for longer then 20mins).
Simple answer to that - horrible framerate coupled with quite fuzzy visuals and a control scheme that didn't survive the transition into modern times. (but to be fair, is also arguably better suited for console shooters than the Halo style twin stick aim/move scheme)

User avatar
DPrinny
Posts: 24373
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Super Mancyland

Re: James Bond Games

Post by DPrinny » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:52 pm

outdated_gamer wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:29 pm
DPrinny wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:15 am
On the other hand, Mario Kart still gets tons of play

Speaking of Bond and Goldeneye

http://goldeneyevault.com/viewfile.php?id=349
This thing is pretty crazy, especially considering it runs quite well (read: playable) on real hardware too.
Im having problems with it, think a few others are as well, the first level being a bit too dark

User avatar
killbot
Posts: 4824
Joined: Thu May 18, 2006 5:36 am

Re: James Bond Games

Post by killbot » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:47 pm

TheDude18 wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:11 am
Managed to pick up all the PS2 releases -

Goldeneye: Rogue Agent
Everything or Nothing
Nightfire
Agent Under Fire
Quantum of Solice
From Russia with Love

I know some of which are considered a bit pants but I couldn't help collecting a full set. I'm most looking forward to FRWL as I understand is Sean Connery doing the voice acting?! It must have been his last bit of work prior to retirement or that could have been LXG? I'm not sure. Anyway, cant complain just need some free time to play them.
I think Connery's last performance was in a very, very low budget Scottish animated movie. I saw the DVD in Poundland. It did NOT get good reviews. A bit of a sad send off, really.
Image

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests