James Bond Games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

outdated_gamer

Re: James Bond Games

Post by outdated_gamer » Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:51 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:50 am
outdated_gamer wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:06 pm
GoldenEye 64 was pretty nice too (revolutionary for consoles in it's day tbh), although the game would really need a remaster
Umm, it has been remastered, its the game the Dude was playing that sparked off this thread, he says so in his first post. It was badly needed imo, since the N64 game is fairly ghastly these days. There's a solid game underneath, but the visuals and controls are horrid.

I had high hopes for the No One Lives Forever games, playing them a few years back. Again, they've dated somewhat and are rather hollow experiences.
That was a remake, not a remaster. Remaster means that it's the same game with some engine tweaks like higher res textures, 60 fps gameplay and 1080p resolution while a remake can change up quite a lot of things, from the engine, to gameplay feel, level structure, cut scenes and so on. Perfect Dark on the 360 was an example of a nice remaster that upgraded an old game whereas Conker Live & Reloaded on the original Xbox was a remake that changed up a lot of things (and according by many, for the worse).

I don't know about the NOLF games being "hollow", they still are praised as some of the best humorous spy shooters ever made and can look pretty good with some mods, but if you asked me I prefered the IGI games and their more serious tone. Both series ended with the second part though, which might imply there's not a huge market for spy shooters out there, which is a shame since a whole generation of players will know shooters just thru the Call of Duty formula of heavy action-sequence-linearity driven FPS games and have no idea about "proper" stealth-based shooters outside of maybe Hitman (which is at stake nowadays too - and Splinter Cell lost a lot of it's former appeal by becoming too "actiony" too). Same thing with tactical shooters - the modern Ghost Recon and Rainbow Six games are watered-down tac shooters that have barely anything in common with their originators. The only such series that still goes on is the ArmA games but those are more military sandboxes than simply tac shooters.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:57 am

The Spy Who Loved me on the 'miggy is definitely one of the better official Bond games. Remember getting View T'Kill on Speccy and being horrified by how bad it was.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:20 am

^For some reason i used to play that a lot on the Speccy. Think as a kid as i loved the film so much i just wanted to play the game. Was horrendous though but i do have faint memories of the 'car' part of the game (Like a very basic GTA !) driving around. I'll have to check the game out on WOS, been so long. I'm hoping i didnt buy it as it wasnt great though.

You do think back to a lot of games and think didnt they have a QA department ? Or just invite kids in to play the game and note their feedback ? That game must have been about 8 quid back then which would have been a lot to a kid to save up for that and then they get that dross. Thats one huge reason why as a kid i didnt feel guilty about any games i had on C90's as stuff like this was frustrating as anything, saving up weeks for a game and its utterly terrible. Didnt the MD or anyone in the company say 'hold on a second this is pretty poor...' - nope ! They just used to churn out a lot of crappy licenses to get a lot of sales up front before everyone realised how bad the games were

stejay007

Post by stejay007 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:29 am

Got to be said Blood Stone in my opinion is the best "newer" 007 Game.

Goldeneye 64 will always be the best for it's time, although feels like its aged horrifically.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:14 am

psj3809 wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:20 am
You do think back to a lot of games and think didnt they have a QA department ? Or just invite kids in to play the game and note their feedback ? That game must have been about 8 quid back then which would have been a lot to a kid to save up for that and then they get that dross. Thats one huge reason why as a kid i didnt feel guilty about any games i had on C90's as stuff like this was frustrating as anything, saving up weeks for a game and its utterly terrible. Didnt the MD or anyone in the company say 'hold on a second this is pretty poor...' - nope ! They just used to churn out a lot of crappy licenses to get a lot of sales up front before everyone realised how bad the games were
The number of times an interviewee in RG will say they just didn't have time to test a game or get it to where they wanted as the company had made impossible promises or the publisher had made unreasonable demands. As you say, if you were paying £8 for a game in 1987 (for example) then it wasn't cheap.

Might make a good feature - high profile (ish) games that were release unfinished or untested dross.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

Gigifusc

Post by Gigifusc » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:20 am

Sly Spy Secret agent was a Bond game in all but name:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TgqlXFls5Y

Someone mentioned Operation Stealth by Delphine - that was a Bond game in America if memory serves, wheras in Europe, we didn't have the licene attached.

Licence to Kill on Amiga had a very steep difficulty curve but once you raised your reaction levels, it was a pretty good game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUB8p4a64ZQ

007 racing on PS1 was a really cool idea but didn't quite achieve what it could have. Not sure how it plays today though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WS_sG1qgMPg

EA took the Bond licence through many years of average to slightly above average FPS games that were often very linear in nature. Activision then took over and again, released a couple of polished but average FPS games.

Blood Stone was a pretty decent 3rd person action game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmGiskjpJRg

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:27 am

007 Racing is a turd. I bought it with high hopes, but try as I might I just couldn't get any enjoyment from it. Video suggests some of the later levels may be more entertaining, but I gave up early doors as it wasn't worth the effort. Possibly worth a punt since the PS3 will play it though, you may get more mileage from it than I did.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:37 am

Thanks for all the comments guys. I didn't realise there were so many official games on the PS3! So that's my first port of call. Followed by From Russia With Love on the PS2..................once I get a PS2 that is!

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:09 pm

We forgot XIII, a really cool and slightly forgotten GoldenEye-like FP shooter with Cel-shaded graphics from two gens ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=900cS4fkp7k

You can't buy this game anywhere digitally nowadays, but it most certainly deserves a "HD" re-release. It was more entertaining than the official Bond license shooters of the time and also one of the first games to push this sort of look.

batman877

Post by batman877 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:16 am

'Goldeneye' on the N64 is the obvious choice but here are a few more suggestions:

'Live and Let Die' (1988, Domark) - Amiga, ST, C64, Amstrad
Great racing/shooting game - sort of a cross between Buggy Boy and Spy Hunter!

'Licence to Kill' (1989, Domark) - Amiga, ST, C64, Amstrad, Spectrum, BBC, MSX
Mixed up into short levels - enjoyed the 8-bit versions more as the difficulty is more forgiving; amazing title music too!

'James Bond: 007' (1998, Saffire/Nintendo) - Gameboy
Not really a Bond game, but a Zelda type game dressed up as Bond; highly under-rated adventure.

007: Nightfire (2003, Eurocom/EA) - Gamecube, PS2, XBOX, PC, MAC
The best Bond game from this era; takes parts from the early Call of Duty and Tom Clancy franchises and it works well.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:55 am

paranoid marvin wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:57 am
Remember getting View T'Kill on Speccy and being horrified by how bad it was.
The C64 version is even worse! That terrible sampled speech saying : "James Bond." - It's sounds like he's constipated! :lol:

Some of the other Domark games like The Spy Who Loved Me and License to Kill are okay. I have seen some YouTube videos of License to Kill - and I have even played the DOS version - which isn't bad, allowing for the period it came out. I always thought it was a shame that unlike the film - that didn't get a 15 certificate from the BBFC, or feature a scene which has an exploding head! :lol:

pratty

Post by pratty » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:41 am

Everything Or Nothing and From Russia With Love were both great.

Nightfire was decent, but the Goldeneye remake is the best Bond FPS I've played since the original Goldeneye.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:45 am

I had Live & Let Die and License To Kill on the Spectrum, they were ok but nothing special.

Then I had Spy Who Loved Me on the Atari ST, again it was decent but nothing more.

I much later picked up James Bond: The Duel on the Mega Drive when I started collecting and thought it was abysmal, which was a shame as I had been really looking forward to it.

The last James Bond game I bought was Golden Eye on the Wii, it was most excellent indeed.

SpecChum81
Location: London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wubble!!

Post by SpecChum81 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:05 pm

I really loved Licence To Kill and The Living Daylights on the Speccy! :D
Press Play On Tape

killbot

Post by killbot » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:20 pm

I had the James Bond Collection on the Amiga, which consisted of Licence to Kill (fun, but very hard), Live and Let Die (fun, but far too easy) and The Spy Who Loved Me (fun, and just about right difficulty wise). I didn't play any of the other early Domark games, though I do remember hearing that A View to a Kill was absolutely shocking. I also had Domark's The Duel for the Master System and didn't rate it to be honest. I think there were also a couple of text adventures around this time, based on the novels rather than the films, but I never played them. I haven't played the 2600 game by Parker Bros. either.

I did however play The Stealth Affair, albeit in its European guise of Operation Stealth. It was a decent point-and-click adventure marred by some rubbish arcade sections. Could do with a modern remaster that reworks those bits and makes the graphics look a bit nicer.

Then of course there's GoldenEye which was awesome in all kinds of different ways. I ploughed hours into both single- and multiplayer back in the day and had an absolute blast. The Wii version was weird; pitched as a remake but in fact after the first level it played very, very differently and the story had some differences too. Still fun, but not as much. The other Nintendo 007 game - the Game Boy version - is a fine action RPG and one I enjoyed even if it doesn't feel like it has anything to do with James Bond.

Once EA got the licence it all went to crap for a bit. I briefly played Tomorrow Never Dies and was politely appalled. The World Is Not Enough was better, but only by virtue of stealing literally all its ideas from GoldenEye. I gave 007 Racing a wide berth but did enjoy the trilogy of original games EA made (Agent Under Fire, Nightfire and Everything or Nothing). The latter two in particular had really nice presentation that made them feel almost like new Bond movies. After that EA went back to the movies for inspiration, adapting From Russia With Love; a game I own but haven't gotten round to playing yet. And of course there was GoldenEye Rogue Agent but the reviews put me off going anywhere near that.

Unfortunately when it comes to the Activision series, aside from the GoldenEye remake I previously mentioned, I've not really played much. Quantum of Solace didn't look very interesting so I didn't bother with it, Blood Stone was not released on the Wii which was my main console that gen and 007 Legends got horrendous reviews and was quickly pulled from sale.

Overall, I'd say my favourite was GoldenEye (N64), with Operation Stealth/The Stealth Affair in second place and The Spy Who Loved Me in third, and honourable mentions going to the trilogy of Agent Under Fire, Nightfire and EoN. Pretty much everything else lies somewhere on a scale of 'forgetable' to 'godawful'. If there were to be a new Bond game I'd like to see a return to adventure game mechanics that make you feel like you're an actual spy trying to solve a mystery rather than another identikit FPS. But that feels like a forlorn hope.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360