Comparison of GTA San Andreas

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

outdated_gamer

Comparison of GTA San Andreas

Post by outdated_gamer » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:13 pm

I think this is a interesting topic - comparison of the different versions of this open world classic:

PS2 vs PC vs 360

PS2 vs Xbox

PS2 vs PC in-depth

PC modded vs Mobile

360 vs Mobile

PS2 vs PS3

PC modded vs PC original

PC modded vs PC vanilla vs PS2 emulated vs PS2 original

For some reason, they all look different and for some reason the PS2 version actually feels the best, despite running in just 480i with 25 fps.

What do you think?
Last edited by outdated_gamer on Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stvd

Re: Comparison of GTA San Andreas

Post by stvd » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:11 pm

Where's the Xbox version?

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:23 pm

I suppose the 360 version would be the "Xbox" original version? Just played via backwards compatibility (so either off original xbox disc or as DLC)

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:31 pm

stvd wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:11 pm
Where's the Xbox version?
Added it to first post. It's basically the PC version with lower res graphics and framerate, lacking the "orange" feel of PS2 version.

Sephiroth81 wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:23 pm
I suppose the 360 version would be the "Xbox" original version? Just played via backwards compatibility (so either off original xbox disc or as DLC)
Nope, the 360 version is a enhanced port of the Mobile version which added some new effects and more defined characters. Unless you mean the Xbox version played via BC.

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:41 am

They're all still less fun to play than Vice City. Never got on with San Andreas.

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:00 am

I found my favourite part of San Andreas was the apache helicopter (Hunter, I think?) vigilante missions, which consisted of blowing up small convoys of gangsters with machine gun and rockets. I use to play that for hours, listening to the music and generating huge amounts of money I didn't need.

gunbladelad

Post by gunbladelad » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:40 pm

The best part of the GTA series is the music selections - and I really struggle with San Andreas' selection of music to the point that the game's actually a chore to play.
Where logic won't work, I will

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:55 pm

What!!?? :wink:

stvd

Post by stvd » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:13 pm

I always find it weird when people prefer Vice City. Not anything game-wise. It's the music.
The first 3 3D GTA games play the same, SA has much more to it, game-wise than the others.
But because VC has an 80's soundtrack, it's the better game.
I've even heard people say they hate ALL GTA games but they really like VC. :? :? :?

The Hardest of All Freds

Post by The Hardest of All Freds » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:54 pm

The Mac version is rubbish btw
Going Solo...................

Jimmy Corkhill

Post by Jimmy Corkhill » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:01 pm

Anyone else miss the dark and grittiness of GTA 3?

SpecChum81
Location: London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wubble!!

Post by SpecChum81 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:11 pm

I only ever played this on the PS2, and it's the only GTA I never really liked.

I much preferred the Mob/Mafia feel of the previous and subsequent GTA games, rather than the Street/Gangsta feel of San Andreas.

Although having said that, San Andreas gave us the most options when it came to character customisation...
Press Play On Tape

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:34 pm

San Andreas is the best for me purely down to map size and variety of terrain/things to do. The prior games were/are indeed awesome but the Liberty City ones are really limited in comparison and as enjoyable as Vice City is, the map is too small and flat for me to the point where I find it difficult to return to.

Don't get me wrong, I like them all and think there is plenty of note about each installment but San Andreas was the one that hooked me the most. As for the soundtrack? I loved the early 90's rock on Radio X, classics on K-DST, house music from SF-UR and the soul on CSR.

As for versions? Stay the hell away from the PS3 disc version - it was rubbish. Weird default controls, audio/radio glitches and the game constantly crashed during the flight school for me. Apparently this was a port of the iOS version which I found to be pretty shocking for a publisher to do for a home console release, no matter the RRP. The PS2 version may be the ugliest and oldest now but it's still the one I find easiest to return to. If I still had an original Xbox then no doubt I'd prefer that version.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:09 am

Megamixer wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:34 pm
San Andreas is the best for me purely down to map size and variety of terrain/things to do. The prior games were/are indeed awesome but the Liberty City ones are really limited in comparison and as enjoyable as Vice City is, the map is too small and flat for me to the point where I find it difficult to return to.

Don't get me wrong, I like them all and think there is plenty of note about each installment but San Andreas was the one that hooked me the most. As for the soundtrack? I loved the early 90's rock on Radio X, classics on K-DST, house music from SF-UR and the soul on CSR.

As for versions? Stay the hell away from the PS3 disc version - it was rubbish. Weird default controls, audio/radio glitches and the game constantly crashed during the flight school for me. Apparently this was a port of the iOS version which I found to be pretty shocking for a publisher to do for a home console release, no matter the RRP. The PS2 version may be the ugliest and oldest now but it's still the one I find easiest to return to. If I still had an original Xbox then no doubt I'd prefer that version.
My g/f insist I keep the PS2 I had for sale so she could play WIpeout so I may have to get GTA:SA. I Was going to get the PS3 version.

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:46 pm

San Andreas is fantastic due to world size and variety but as an overall package, Vice City and VC Stories were superior. The music selection was better, the characters were more fun and it felt like 100% was actually achievable without being a chore.

PSN username - MartinPhantom