If You Could Choose One System

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Treguard

Re: If You Could Choose One System

Post by Treguard » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:45 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:53 pm
Don't worry about it.

I will still attempt to educate the world, But I long ago accepted the fact that some people like to live in ignorance and wrap it round them like a comfort blanket.

far be it for me to shatter these fragile illusions.
Why do you seem so angry that I agreed with someone else's opinion that the best 16 bit machine was the Amiga? I like the Snes, think it's a great machine and has some fantastic games, I just think the Amiga has more games I like, and if I had to pick just one machine, I'd choose it over any other. People liking some things more than things you like doesn't make them ignorant, it just means they have different views.

Except if someone says the Dragon 32. That guy clearly needs help :wink: .

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:38 pm

What about the person that chooses an Amstrad?
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:17 am

They probably get banned. The new moderation has to make a correct decision eventually ;)
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:23 am

I believe Darran would have chosen Amstrad

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:33 am

Has he died?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:10 am

Treguard wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:45 pm
RodimusPrime wrote:
Don't worry about it.

I will still attempt to educate the world, But I long ago accepted the fact that some people like to live in ignorance and wrap it round them like a comfort blanket.

Why do you seem so angry that I agreed with someone else's opinion that the best 16 bit machine was the Amiga? I like the Snes, think it's a great machine and has some fantastic games, I just think the Amiga has more games I like, and if I had to pick just one machine, I'd choose it over any other. People liking some things more than things you like doesn't make them ignorant, it just means they have different views.

Do I seem angry?

If you could not see that the last post was far from serious then I don't really know what to say to be honest.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:12 am

ncf1 wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:23 am
I believe Darran would have chosen Amstrad
out of Amstrad, Spectrum, and C64 I would choose the amstrad.

If I had to that is, truth is, looking back, the 8bit home computers have not aged well and are just not that fun to play on any more.

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:35 am

RodimusPrime wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:12 am
If I had to that is, truth is, looking back, the 8bit home computers have not aged well and are just not that fun to play on any more.
That may be true of the Spectrum and the Amstrad but it most certainly isn't of the C64. The C64 was holding its own with the Amiga well into the 90s and, in many cases, the C64 versions of games are better than those on the Amiga. If I had to pick one system, the C64 would be a very strong contender because of the vast library of games, the extent to which developers were able to push the system (no system fulfilled its potential more than the C64) and the overall quality of the hardware (I regard the C64 as one of the best designed systems ever - with the exception of the power supply which can be remedied).

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:53 am

RodimusPrime wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:10 am

Do I seem angry?

If you could not see that the last post was far from serious then I don't really know what to say to be honest.
In my mind, you ALWAYS seem angry for one reason or another! :P

I could tell you were probably joking in your last post though. Perhaps you should have confirmed it with a stupid smiley face, but even that rubs some people up the wrong way and can be taken the wrong way. I got my knuckles rapped by our forum overlords for using a smiley the other week, as it apparently made my comment seem even more offensive...
:mrgreen: :| :( :o :)

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:58 am

RodimusPrime wrote:
Treguard wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:45 pm
RodimusPrime wrote:
Don't worry about it.

Do I seem angry?

Well yeah, you seemed angry. I wouldn't have said anything otherwise?

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:00 am

Sephiroth81 wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:53 am
RodimusPrime wrote:

Do I seem angry?

In my mind, you ALWAYS seem angry for one reason or another! :P

I could tell you were probably joking in your last post though. Perhaps you should have confirmed it with a stupid smiley face, but even that rubs some people up the wrong way and can be taken the wrong way. I got my knuckles rapped by our forum overlords for using a smiley the other week, as it apparently made my comment seem even more offensive...
:mrgreen: :| :( :o :)
I mean I even conceded the point by admitting Mrmessy was correct in calling me out.

I think MR Treguard is a little upset with me.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:05 am

RodimusPrime wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:00 am

I mean I even conceded the point by admitting Mrmessy was correct in calling me out.
I think that comment was missed due to outdated_gamers memoirs that directly followed...

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:07 am

markopoloman wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:38 pm
That person appreciates the paradoxical nature of a machine that can produce the definitive 8 bit version of Chase HQ, yet also poop out the worst version of Outrun ever produced.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:02 am

Treguard wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:07 am
markopoloman wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:38 pm
That person appreciates the paradoxical nature of a machine that can produce the definitive 8 bit version of Chase HQ, yet also poop out the worst version of Outrun ever produced.
That's what I love about the Amstrad.

It either produces versions of games that are by far the best, or a version that is by far the worst.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:41 am

Sephiroth81 wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:05 am
RodimusPrime wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:00 am

I think that comment was missed due to outdated_gamers memoirs that directly followed...
I actually laughed at this comment. It echoes my own private "Goodness me!" moment upon seeing outdated gamer's alarmingly thorough tackling of the topic at hand.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.