Favourite Handheld

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Which is your favourite handheld?

Nintendo Gameboy
22%
Gameboy Colour
2%
Gameboy Advance
15%
Nintendo DS
15%
Nintendo 3DS
7%
Sony PSP
7%
PS Vita
15%
Sega Game Gear
2%
Atari Lynx
12%
Neo Geo Pocket/Neo Geo Pocket Colour
2%

Total votes: 41

English Invader

Favourite Handheld

Post by English Invader » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:24 pm

Following Rodimus's suggestion in his last console battle thread, I thought I'd start a favourite handheld poll. The only ones I haven't personally experienced are PS Vita, 3DS and Neo Geo Pocket/Colour and, on balance, my favourite is the original Nintendo Gameboy.

Sega Game Gear - grew up with this one and have a collection of over 300 games for the system but after exposure to other handhelds it hasn't really stood the test of time.

Atari Lynx - love this system and the arcade ports are really up my street.

Nintendo Gameboy - the backlight and bivert mods really opened up this system for me (as well as the GB Boy Colour hardware clone) and the combination of portability, battery life and fantastic pick-me-up games make this one the winner. My only complaint is that the system lacks a real kick ass driving game like Checkered Flag on the Lynx or Super Monaco GP on the Game Gear.

Gameboy Colour - lovely screen, comfortable to hold and some good games but the demographic is a bit too Mary Kate and Ashley for me.

Gameboy Advance - early adopter of this system and enjoyed it back in the day; still have it but the lighting in my current home makes it unusable; have the SP and the Micro but they don't feel as good in the hand.

Nintendo DS - this was a hand-me-down from a relative who never used it and while I haven't got into the system in a big way the console is a joy to use and the games are good.

Sony PSP - the worst of the bunch; could have been brilliant but the hardware sucks.

mr jenzie

Re: Favourite Handheld

Post by mr jenzie » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:27 pm

AHA
first one eh

best games one, and my only one too, so NO WAI favouritism there :mrgreen:

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:54 pm

I've always loved the Lynx, but tbh I've gone for GBA. Just a sensational library. Although I do play them on a DSL! I still voted GBA though, if I could have bought a GBA SP with the backlit cheaper I would have :)

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:44 am

Its the Vita for me. Its the only handheld that has made me want to collect for it seriously and go after a full set (up to 333 physical games at the moment). There is a barely a day where I don't spend an hour or two playing it.

I do have a soft spot for the awesome Neo Geo Pocket Colour as well just for SNK Vs Capcom Match of the Millennium. Probably still my favourite pocket fighter.

I do like the older Nintendo handhelds as well just for the wealth of Mega Man and Castlvania releases on each as well as a few other hidden gems. But for some reason, despite a few excellent games I just don't like my 3DS that much. Maybe its the flimsy, uncomfortable feel, the low res screens, the crappy OS or maybe because it was released just before the Vita...
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:15 am

My white DS Lite from 2007 is probably my overall most used handheld, followed by the PSP. The PSP has a bit more to it in terms of the homebrew scene and of course graphical prowess, but the DS in its native form seemed to create a lot better handheld gaming experiences IMO.

A DS Lite, with a GBA flashcard, an R4 card, allows you to play pretty much the entire gameboy library (with GBA games fully natively, and the GB/GBC games being very competently emulated) as well as the huge and varied DS library. Also supports pretty decent emulation for Master System, Game Gear and NES too. The clamshell design is also handy for portability, and has a very good battery life (compared with the PSP).

So DS Lite gets my vote, followed by the PSP.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:40 am

Vita for me.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

JamesC

Post by JamesC » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:43 am

Original Game Boy for me.
No fannying about with menus - just pop the cart in and play. The carts are practically bullet-proof and while the games are simple there's a fantastic library of stuff that's perfect for mobile play.
There isn't too much shovel ware rubbish on the system either.
If there was a 'top 100 handheld games ever' feature I reckon a good proportion of them would be games from this system.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:23 am

Has to be the Atari Lynx for me, it was just so ahead of its time and no other machine hold as many happy memories for me.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:41 am

The Laird wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:23 am
Has to be the Atari Lynx for me, it was just so ahead of its time and no other machine hold as many happy memories for me.
:shock: You chose the Atari Lynx?!?

I'm still looking for a decent portable Lynx emulator....

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:53 am

Sephiroth81 wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:41 am
The Laird wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:23 am
:shock: You chose the Atari Lynx?!?

I'm still looking for a decent portable Lynx emulator....
You'll be looking for a long time!

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:54 am

Voted for the Neo Geo poket
Just because its the console idd bung in a bag to play on a long journey

As long as it was during the day

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:01 am

The Laird wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:53 am

This I fear. Same with the Jaguar. Surely if they can now do a reasonable job of emulating a Neo Geo on an android device, they can do a Lynx one! Come on emulator coders....get busy!

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:12 am

Sephiroth81 wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:01 am
The Laird wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:53 am

This I fear. Same with the Jaguar. Surely if they can now do a reasonable job of emulating a Neo Geo on an android device, they can do a Lynx one! Come on emulator coders....get busy!
The annoying thing is that Handy, by far the best Lynx emulator out there, does everything well except the sound, which is abysmal. But more stupid than that is Handy is open source, but nobody has even attempted to update it for years. Most of the hard work is already done, so I don't understand why somebody just doesn't try to fix the sound issue.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:23 am

The Laird wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:12 am

The annoying thing is that Handy, by far the best Lynx emulator out there, does everything well except the sound, which is abysmal. But more stupid than that is Handy is open source, but nobody has even attempted to update it for years. Most of the hard work is already done, so I don't understand why somebody just doesn't try to fix the sound issue.
I'm going to test a few Android ones today (just to see if there are any new kids on the block), what games would you recommend I try that usually push an emulator to its limits?

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:32 am

Sephiroth81 wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:23 am
The Laird wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:12 am

I'm going to test a few Android ones today (just to see if there are any new kids on the block), what games would you recommend I try that usually push an emulator to its limits?
All the Android Lynx emulators are based on Handy so all have the same sound problem (likewise with Plynx for the PSP). The best benchmark game is STUN Runner, which generally runs a bit slower in emulation with some sound issues.