The answer to why we like retro games.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Ryan GH

Re: The answer to why we like retro games.

Post by Ryan GH » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:19 am

paranoid marvin wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:50 pm
But today, when anything is possible and games can effortlessly rival movies in budget and professionalism, there is nothing that surprises me; anything is possible and a game has to be poor in spite of the budget rather than because of it.
Check out the intro to The Witcher : Enhanced Edition. It totally blew me away and the game is phenomenally good.

Doddsy

Post by Doddsy » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:25 am

Same here, but thats because we were younger. lets be honest everything seems more special and exciting as a kid.

I don't disagree with you about that as I feel the same. But I think its purely down to experiencing it as a kid, simple as that.

Exactly the opinion I was suggesting - kids experience things more intensely than adult as the BBC 1 documentary show demonstated and as a result those experience stick with us through out our life.

SpecChum81
Location: London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wubble!!

Post by SpecChum81 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:36 pm

For me it would be a mixture of things.

Nostalgia certainly, being taken back to a particular time and remembering how it was when I first played a certain game. Not just just with games. I quite often read through old magazines and youtube a lot of Thames TV/Children's ITV from the 80s. For me there's a joy and comfort in that.

Fun is another major factor. Gaming today is insanely advanced and the realism is often breathtaking. However, you simply don't get games like APB, Toejam & Earl, Fantastic Dizzy, Bubble Bobble, Golden Axe, Head Over Heels and any number of classics.

While we've always had tasks/missions/levels to complete, these days gaming seems far too serious sometimes. Whereas when I were a Lad, I could load up Defender II or Road Rash and simply play and have fun.

But that's just the way gaming is done these days.

Who knows, had I been born in 2001 instead of 1981, then 20 years from now I would probably be saying the same things about the PS3 and Xbox as I do now about the Mega Drive and Speccy.
Press Play On Tape