The answer to why we like retro games.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Doddsy

The answer to why we like retro games.

Post by Doddsy » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:21 pm

I was watching a programme on the telly about teenagers brains and how they develop. You may have seen it, it was on BBC 1 a few months ago. It got me thinking about why we like retro gaming and I believe the programme has given me the answer. Because kids and teenagers experience situations more intensely than adults from something as simple as drinking a sweet drink to a more intense experience such as a fair ground ride, it's fair to say that when we play a retro game from our child hood or teenage years it somehow recreates those intense feeling we had towards that gaming experience again - making it personal and at the same time enjoyable again.
Just a thought...

ZXSabreman

Re: The answer to why we like retro games.

Post by ZXSabreman » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:56 pm

I don't just like retro games, I like 70's/80's music, I collect vintage toys like Star Wars, Action Force. I like to read old magazines like Crash, it's about nostalgia and reliving my childhood with the time of innocence we have as a child.
I surround myself with things I remember owning as a child, watching films from my childhood.
The thing with retro gaming for me is the memory is better than playing them now, not all of them but so many which I loved back in the day haven't aged well.
"Time fades even legend..."

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:14 pm

We were discussing this at work a few months ago as a fellow emplyee was ridiculed for wearing childrens boxer shorts...well Dangermouse to be exact. I stuck up for him also saying retro tv was something i loved like grange hill. it was brought up that older men liked to watch childrens tv to entice children in otherwords i was a paedo, someone else said its a form of autism and depression. After calling them a bag of dickks, i explained we all like to retreat to that nostalgic area in our brains where we have no problems or bills or work worries. To some its tv or videos, games or books. we are all different. Now recently i see on facebook these same munters commenting on memes called " you are an 80s kids if" then there are pictures of mr benn and bagpuss etc and one or two put things like oooh i loved bagpuss my nan would put it on, i can smell her perfume now" etc. I roll my eyes.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:58 pm

ive thought about this a lot. Its a combination of things: yes it is nostalgic, and fun to re-live and re-live again what we found fun as a youngster. The game is fun firstly, and along with it can come fond memories of when or where we played that game, so you don't just get the enjoyment of the game but memories surrounding it. For instance every single time I played Outrun on Mame my brain also carries along memories of seeing and playing it in the arcade and so that is carried along into the present experience, and there's even the fact that this game used to cost something like $1 to play so I'm getting freebies every time I play! The mind brings all of that stuff along so you get all this stuff at once. Also it can be a soothing experience as it may remind one of better, easier, carefree times when one wasn't responsible for anything but enjoying oneself as a kid, so memories of that come back. Basically its a whole bunch of nostalgia hitting you at once from a number of directions and perspectives, enhancing the experience so much more than if you were just playing an old game for the first time.

And yes, add onto the fact that as a kid its new technology, youre experiencing something for the first time, its incredibly exciting just for that reason, and when youre younger things really sear into the mind, so perhaps its attempting to try and get back those very first experiences as well.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:16 pm

It's also got a lot to do with losing the willingness to adapt to new things as we grow older. A natural thing that comes to us all sooner or later. When your formative years are over and done that's where your overall tastes tend to stick. After that it's mostly about looking back or finding "new" things that fit our formative criteria enough to be enjoyable.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:56 pm

Because there used to be more idealism and enthusiasm in the creation of games and the business side of things didn't yet get out of hand. This produced more originality and also the rather big technology limitations ment that developers could still explore a lot of concepts. Nowadays gaming is like fast food - edible but generic. True uniqueness is solemn seen among the "AAA" groups, it's usually the indies that keep the spark of creativity burning in the present day.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:36 pm

For me it's because I can just put it on and play it. No updates or internet-related stuff, no system updates or friend lists etc. Just a game - pure and simple.

I do really enjoy modern gaming but there are some days when I just can't be arsed with it.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

tuki_cat

Post by tuki_cat » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:24 pm

This hits the nail on the head for me, it is great to be able to put something on and just play it. No long tutorial, no complicated intro, no 15 minute cut scenes - mostly just straight into the game.
Megamixer wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:36 pm
For me it's because I can just put it on and play it. No updates or internet-related stuff, no system updates or friend lists etc. Just a game - pure and simple.

I do really enjoy modern gaming but there are some days when I just can't be arsed with it.

Ryan GH

Post by Ryan GH » Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:31 pm

Yes for me its the simplicity. Raiden is one of my favorite games because all you do is hold down the fire button and dodge bullets and yet it is a world of fun to try to beat your best score.

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:41 pm

I agree that nostalgia is probably the biggest pull for a lot of games and systems.

Though another big pull is the discovery of games. I'm still learning about PS1/PS2/Saturn games despite me thinking I had pretty good knowledge of the systems. I've picked up various consoles over the years and every time I have done, I try to hunt for key stand out games and hidden gems for that system.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:09 pm

outdated_gamer wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:56 pm
Because there used to be more idealism and enthusiasm in the creation of games and the business side of things didn't yet get out of hand. This produced more originality and also the rather big technology limitations ment that developers could still explore a lot of concepts. Nowadays gaming is like fast food - edible but generic. True uniqueness is solemn seen among the "AAA" groups, it's usually the indies that keep the spark of creativity burning in the present day.
Total myth,

Its always been this way.

From ataris treating programmers like they were just generic workers, and flooding the 2600 with substandard crap to try and fleece customers.

Companies jumping on fads and releasing clones of popular games ( Pacman and space invader clones were rampant )

Cynically cashing by trying to sell the same things in fancier boxes ( world cup carnival, C64 and Amstrad consoles that tried to sell you the same thing for 20 times as much on cart )

Releasing the same games with minor updates ( Streetfighter series for example )

yearly updates started with madden and Fifa on megadrive.

Nonstop sequels. 6 megman games on NES. Sonic games nearly reaching double figures on megadrive.

Games with minimal content being made artificially harder just to make them last longer.

Lazy ports and lazy updates of old games for a quick cash in ( Atari Jaguar nails this )

Need I go on. Retro gaming is great, I love it and is a passion of mine, but lets take the rose tinted specs off and return to the real world.
Last edited by RodimusPrime on Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:22 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:09 pm

Total myth,

From ataris treating programmers like they were kust generis workers, and flooding the 2600 with substandard crap to try and fleece customers.

Companies jumping on fadfs and releasing clones of popular games ( Pacman and space invader clones were rampant )

Cynically cashing by trying to sell the same things in fancier boxes ( world cup carnival, C64 and Amstrad consoles that tried to sell you the same thing for 20 times as miuch on cart )

Releasing the same games with minor updates ( Streetfighter series for example )

Nonstop sequels. 6 megman games on NES. Sonic games nearly reaching double figures on megadrive.

Games with minimal content being made artificially harder just to make them last longer.

Lazy ports and lazy updates of old games for a quick cash in ( Atari Jaguar nails this )

Need I go on. Retro gaming is great, I love it and is a passion of mine, but lets take the rose tinted specs off and return to the real world.
Fair point but when I think of games that genuinely impressed me, I think of the past, not the present. Modern games are super polished versions of things we all already saw in the past. It says something that a title like Minecraft feels like the most original concept in modern days. Although it might also be true that the innovation nowadays actually comes from technology rather than games - VR and titles that make good use of it.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:26 pm

outdated_gamer wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:22 pm
RodimusPrime wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:09 pm

Total myth,

From ataris treating programmers like they were kust generis workers, and flooding the 2600 with substandard crap to try and fleece customers.

Companies jumping on fadfs and releasing clones of popular games ( Pacman and space invader clones were rampant )

Cynically cashing by trying to sell the same things in fancier boxes ( world cup carnival, C64 and Amstrad consoles that tried to sell you the same thing for 20 times as miuch on cart )

Fair point but when I think of games that genuinely impressed me, I think of the past, not the present. Modern games are super polished versions of things we all already saw in the past. It says something that a title like Minecraft feels like the most original concept in modern days. Although it might also be true that the innovation nowadays actually comes from technology rather than games - VR and titles that make good use of it.
Same here, but thats because we were younger. lets be honest everything seems more special and exciting as a kid.

I don't disagree with you about that as I feel the same. But I think its purely down to experiencing it as a kid, simple as that.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:50 pm

There's not been a modern game that impressed me like 'Dragon's Lair' in the arcade did; nor is there a home game like Mario 64 that impressed me. I still remember being astounded by the 3rd level on the Speccy version of R-type , and the Amiga intro to 'The Three Stooges'. I gasped in amazement when I heard the speech on C64 Impossible Mission and the intro to the Amiga's Blood Money blew me away. But today, when anything is possible and games can effortlessly rival movies in budget and professionalism, there is nothing that surprises me; anything is possible and a game has to be poor in spite of the budget rather than because of it.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:26 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:50 pm
There's not been a modern game that impressed me like 'Dragon's Lair' in the arcade did; nor is there a home game like Mario 64 that impressed me. I still remember being astounded by the 3rd level on the Speccy version of R-type , and the Amiga intro to 'The Three Stooges'. I gasped in amazement when I heard the speech on C64 Impossible Mission and the intro to the Amiga's Blood Money blew me away. But today, when anything is possible and games can effortlessly rival movies in budget and professionalism, there is nothing that surprises me; anything is possible and a game has to be poor in spite of the budget rather than because of it.
well said, I was just thinking before that another reason I love retro games is because of the differences in the systems, all the different colour pallettes and sound capabilities, how each system had its own style and nuances, there was just so much to take in and absorb and appreciate.