I miss unlockable fighters on fighting games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

RodimusPrime

I miss unlockable fighters on fighting games

Post by RodimusPrime » Tue May 30, 2017 8:44 am

It seems that most fighting games all have the characters unlocked from the start. I know this is a lot to do with tournaments etc and that all the pro fighters have instant access to the fighters but its spoiled fighting games IMO.

I used to love playing Tekken and Soulblade and unlocking all the fighters. even Marvel vs Capcom 2 on Xbox had a large amount of the roster you had to unlock.

It was a great evolution to fighting games from the 16bit days when there was no real incentive to play in single player.

any one else miss the days when a large chunk of the roster had to be unlocked.

learnedrobb

Re: I miss unlockable fighters on fighting games

Post by learnedrobb » Tue May 30, 2017 8:49 am

Aye.

But why have gamers work hard to unlock characters when you can make them pay for some juicy DLC instead?

Sorry, my marketing hat fell onto my head then. It's a big old pile of nonsense but sadly, most publishers would rather rinse gamers for every penny they have over rewarding gamers for buying (and playing) their product.
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Tue May 30, 2017 11:22 am

One thing I do like the idea of however is a free base game were you just buy the characters, such as the latest Killer Instinct or DOA5 Last Round. I always find there's only a handful I ever use anyway, so it can work out better value

Ferret Oxide

Post by Ferret Oxide » Tue May 30, 2017 5:05 pm

I think you're absolutely right about the tornament crowd. These days, it's all about your game being key in esports. Street Fighter V focuses on it, GT Sport promises to focus on it. It's the next goal for companies to aim for.

It's a shame, as I used to love unlocking new fighters, even if they were basically different skins. It gave me a tangible goal in single player.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Tue May 30, 2017 6:21 pm

Ferret Oxide wrote:
Tue May 30, 2017 5:05 pm
I think you're absolutely right about the tornament crowd. These days, it's all about your game being key in esports. Street Fighter V focuses on it, GT Sport promises to focus on it. It's the next goal for companies to aim for.

It's a shame, as I used to love unlocking new fighters, even if they were basically different skins. It gave me a tangible goal in single player.
It was my fave part.

I think it really hit home with marvel vs capcom 3. I love the game but i missed the enjoyment of seeing which fighter I would unlock next.

LAIS

Post by LAIS » Tue May 30, 2017 6:24 pm

I was thinking the same thing recently. I felt it with the most recent Mario Kart too, everything is unlocked from the start which kinda kills the replay value for me.

Finally unlocking Dr Boskonivich in Tekken 3 was a fantastic feeling, that game was all the better for its unlockables. Soul Calibur II was similar.

Great point from the person who mentioned tournaments, I'd not considered that.

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Wed May 31, 2017 11:13 am

Apart from a few hidden Boss characters I always found it a chore. Especially Tekken, where you're required to use all the characters. I'd just set it to easy, 1 round, 60secs limit, and then button mash my way through.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed May 31, 2017 12:13 pm

I definitely miss is. Marvel Vs Capcom 2 is a perfect example because back when I originally played it, I didn't know what the full roster looked like so it was exciting to gradually reveal it. Other highlights were definitely the likes of Tekken and Soulblade + the Soul Calibur sequels which also sometimes had really crazy methods for unlocking costumes let alone characters.

Most modern fighting games only care about tournament types now. Look at Street Fighter V's rubbish single-player and the way there are so many tournament-related promotions/events linked in. None of it interests me and so the game rarely get's played (as much as I think the core gameplay is actually fantastic). The DLC factor is also appalling with this game with even colour pallettes requiring cash to unlock. There's no way of earning enough fight money in single-player so you're screwed if online doesn't appeal.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Wed May 31, 2017 12:30 pm

What they seem to forget is that the majority of people don't care about tournaments or e-sports, they just want to have a bit of button mashing fun

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed May 31, 2017 12:34 pm

Negative Creep wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 12:30 pm
What they seem to forget is that the majority of people don't care about tournaments or e-sports, they just want to have a bit of button mashing fun
I'm in the middle. I want some depth and if a game's good, I'll get stuck in, learn all the moves and how to play properly etc. But after that, I don't have the time or interest to be watching feeds of tournaments and all that stuff.

Fighting games have always been my top genre in gaming but the newer ones definitely disappoint a lot of the time. Really hoping that Tekken 7 is good since Tag 2 was very generous with content and loads of free DLC.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.