Original Final fight is better than Original Streets of rage

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Treguard

Re: Original Final fight is better than Original Streets of rage

Post by Treguard » Tue May 30, 2017 9:58 am

A vote for Final Fight is a voter for Mayor Mike Haggar, so Final Fight wins.

Make America piledrive street punks again!

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Tue May 30, 2017 10:17 am

Last edited by Sel Feena on Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Tue May 30, 2017 11:22 am

The original Megadrive Streets of Rage is probably inferior to Final Fight (arcade), but the unofficial fan-made remake available on Xbox more than matches it. And as others have also said on here, Streets of Rage 2 is amazing.

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Tue May 30, 2017 8:17 pm

Im still the weird chap who prefers SOR 1 to SOR2, purely for simplicity and the better music in my opinion.

If we had been given Bare Knuckle 3 instead of the meh game we did get i'd be quite torn between the 3.

I guess it has to do with the fact that growing up i played streets of rage loads but didnt get to play 2 or 3 or Final Fight til I was older just due to availability of games for me to play.

PSN username - MartinPhantom

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:08 pm

Compare a game on arcade format with a home console? They may be a similar type of game but they were worlds apart from the start.

Personally think the move set and stylings of SOR2 knock Final Fight into a oddly mismatched comparison shaped hat.

Next week Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo Arcade is better than Yie Ar Kung Fu on the Amatrad CPC.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:27 pm

shiftytigger wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:08 pm
Compare a game on arcade format with a home console? They may be a similar type of game but they were worlds apart from the start.

Personally think the move set and stylings of SOR2 knock Final Fight into a oddly mismatched comparison shaped hat.

Next week Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo Arcade is better than Yie Ar Kung Fu on the Amatrad CPC.
yeah, lets compare 2 games 10 years apart that have no history with each other.

or lets compare 2 games a couple of years apart, where the home port was segas direct answer to final fight, and was an attempt to get a final fight type game on the console and even the main character was designed to be similar. Not to mention these 2 games have been constantly compared for over 2 decades.

yeah, really good comparison there.

you know Shifty, you are generally a decent poster, but that post was censored embarrassing and a complete load of bollocks.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:35 pm

I'd probably say:

Streets of Rage 2 > Final Fight > Bare Knuckle III > Streets of Rage

Okay, I added more games into that than the original question revolved around but hey-ho. I do like Final Fight but I just prefer the visual and audio style of the SoR games. Final Fight does play very nicely though. It's a shame that Sega never did take advantage of arcade boards of the time and do an arcade SoR - probably one of gaming's biggest "what could have been"'s.

I didn't include the Final Fight SNES sequels in my preference as I think they are very average. I really don't like FF2 and FF3 is better but still not really that exciting (aside from having more moves).
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:04 pm

Tough call but Final Fight

SOR 2 while a brilliant and lovely looking game is too easy to 1cc(especially using the infinite punch). I can even 1cc mania with Blaze but she's insanely overpowered, she was really toned down for SOR3. With the exception of Mr X bosses are way to easy to beat add in the sveral hidden extra lives on levels 1 - 3

SOR3's UK is far harder than the JP version. Even on mania Bare Knuckle 3 is more enjoyable to play then... UK easy difficulty is Bare Knuckles hardest setting giving several extra health bars to some enemies and female enemies spammed flying kicks.. Some of the Capcom arcade games, decide to let the enemy rank go manic on random credits. Final Fight arcade is all about crowd control due to the random AI and the speed different enemies get up, and how each enemy fights differently. look At Sodom(the masked man in the ring with 2 swords) he fights totally ever game, Some times you can trap Sodom against the ring posts using the 2 jumping weak knees, another game he's really aggressive spamming his invincible dash and you lose a few lives. Final Fight is a skillful game that requires learning, there is proper tactic's to beating the bosses. I can 1cc arcade final fight but the Snes version Is miles harder.

Censorship
Snes Final Fight is missing level 4 industrial stage, Rolento, Guy and the 2 player mode. Also Snes FF can only have 3 enemies on the screen same time(less if you don't destroy crates) but they ramp they're energy bars up. Enemies can't be scrolled of the screen like on the arcade making the final 2 levels miles harder. Sodom is insanely difficult on the snes. Also the UK Final Fight had all the women and black men removed as well as the cop spitting his gum

Final Fight Mega CD awesome music and extra level kept the women but they where fully clothed, enemy placement is different, definite home version

SOR 3 was also heavily censored/butchered version of Bare Knuckle removing bosses/Hidden Character Ash the raving homosexual, changing the heroes to gender neutral colours, among several other changes such as removing cut scenes changing storyline/music etc. The women where fully clothed and the insane difficulty spike which was common with a lot of UK release such as probrotector and Castlevania

Final Fight 3 snes is by far the best snes version, branching paths, special moves preformed by dragon punch/fireball motions, rage moves, destructible background scenery and quite an easy game allowing you to get quite far
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

aztecca

Post by aztecca » Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:22 pm

Sel Feena wrote:
Tue May 30, 2017 10:17 am
You have to wonder, when a shirtless muscled man is repeatedly doing that...is he really there for the piledrivers ? :?
Thats one of funniest things I've read on here in a while.
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

Ryan GH

Post by Ryan GH » Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:26 pm

Final Fight is miles better than Streets of Rage but Streets of Rage 2 is marginally better than Final Fight.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:59 pm

shiftytigger wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:08 pm
Next week Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo Arcade is better than Yie Ar Kung Fu on the Amstrad CPC.
I think I'd rather play the Amstrad game tbh. There's something about SF2 that just irks me.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:25 pm

Surely too limited a topic? Double Dragon is better than both and Crime Fighters 2 is also awesome provided its the uncensored version.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:11 am

Shinobi wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:04 pm
Censorship
Snes Final Fight is missing level 4 industrial stage, Rolento, Guy and the 2 player mode. Also Snes FF can only have 3 enemies on the screen same time(less if you don't destroy crates) but they ramp they're energy bars up. Enemies can't be scrolled of the screen like on the arcade making the final 2 levels miles harder. Sodom is insanely difficult on the snes. Also the UK Final Fight had all the women and black men removed as well as the cop spitting his gum
Have to love the random censorship in these games, such as claiming Poison was actually a man. So beating up women is wrong but hitting transsexuals is just fine :lol:

Although I can see why they removed Ash from SOR3.........

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:08 pm

Negative Creep wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:11 am
Shinobi wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:04 pm
Censorship
Have to love the random censorship in these games, such as claiming Poison was actually a man. So beating up women is wrong but hitting transsexuals is just fine :lol:

Although I can see why they removed Ash from SOR3.........

But Nintendo where alright with a disabled pensioner in a wheelchair having his wheelchair smashed up and thrown to his death from a skyscraper 'Belgar' the last boss. I see Poison has become female against according to her Street Fighter 4 bio
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:40 pm

This thread has inspired me to play the SOR trilogy again. 2 is easily the best of the bunch, just so much fun to pick and play with every stage being memorable. SOR1 is good with the best soundtrack of the lot and has a suitably grimy feel of a crime-ridden city, but suffers from the fact the sequel does it so much better and does feel a bit unfair at times (Mona & Lisa and that flame spitting fat guy - urgh). SOR3 is spoiled by being stupidly hard, but the collection comes with Bare Knuckle 3 which negates those problems. I'm not so much of a fan of the sci-fi/cyberpunk direction it went in, but I do really like the chaotic soundtrack. It shouldn't work, but it does.