If you had your time again

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

ncf1

If you had your time again

Post by ncf1 » Thu May 18, 2017 3:36 pm

if you had your time again - and this time around was able to choose the machine/s your got .. would you pick the same ones as you had? Or would you, say, have opted for a C64 instead of the Spectrum you got? Or chosen an Atari 2600 over the Intellivision? Or an Atari ST over your Amiga? You get the idea.

sscott

Re: If you had your time again

Post by sscott » Thu May 18, 2017 3:49 pm

Not really. My choices of colecovision, Atari 800xl and then ST may have been on the fringe but enjoyed them all. I so wish I'd learnt to be a more competent programmer at the time though, teaching Python 30 years later however to school kids .

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Thu May 18, 2017 3:58 pm

Not really. happy with all my system choices.

Only thing I would have changed is when I first started having a disposable income, bought less games and been more selective so I could enjoy them more.

it took away the enjoyment I had playing games as a kid as they stopped being something to enjoy and spend time getting the most out of them.

necronom

Post by necronom » Thu May 18, 2017 5:37 pm

No. I chose the perfect machines: VCS, Vic-20, C64, A500, A1200, PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4 and later bought a Spectrum as I'd not owned one, though I played on one quite a bit at a friends.

I would change giving all my C64 games away when I sold my original one, as I'd love to have my disk version of Little Computer People and some of my other originals on tape and cassette, though I've bought back quite a few of them.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Thu May 18, 2017 5:58 pm

I am very happy with my lot for the most part - Spectrum>2600>ST>Lynx>Mega Drive>Jaguar>Saturn

The only thing I would probably have changed is letting my dad persuade me to get the Atari XE over the Spectrum. Not just because it was a far better computer but also I never would have needed to get the 2600, the XE would have filled the role of a console and a computer.

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Thu May 18, 2017 6:03 pm

I love my Plus/4 but if I had my time again I would definitely have gone for a C64 instead.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Thu May 18, 2017 6:06 pm

Thought I would expand a bit more.

I started with an Amstrad CPC. Now I had access to friends spectrums and Commodores and nothing I played made me think I was missing out. I also was lucky enough to have the colour monitor which many people were jealous of.

Then I got an NES. never ever regretted that, in fact I thought the MS while fun was a far far inferior machine whenever I played on one.

Then Megadrive, which I loved but then sold for a Super nintendo. Completely the right choice. I made the thankfully right decision to skip the amiga as apart from a few games I liked it was completely awful for fighting, platform, shooters and action games. Picked an amiga up later for champ manager and Sensible world of soccer, which I bloody love the machine for. But gave up on the machine ever trying to provide arcade type and action games.

Then went N64 which got huge amount of play thanks to 4 player mariokart, Goldeneye, and ISS. then added a PS1 later.

Had enough money to get all 3 GC, Xbox, and PS2. Loved all 3 although the Xbox was my most played machine.

Then 360 which was hands down the better machine that gen, although added a cheap wii and PS3 later although they got limited play time compared to the 360.

went Xbox one and the WiiU later, still not feeling like I need or want a PS4.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Thu May 18, 2017 10:11 pm

My route was:

2600 - ZX81 - C64 - Nes - master system - A500 - A1200 - PC - PC - PC - PC -PC PC PCPCPCPCPCPCPCCPCPCPCPCPCPCCPCPCPCPCPCPC

If I had my time again....

Get rid of the NES and Master System and it would have been the perfect route. :D (Although I never got rid of my C64 whilst having those consoles - sold it to fund my A500).

Edit: There is a Gamecube/Dreamcast/360/Wii/Wii-U in with that lot somewhere - but they are family game things and don't really class them as mine :D
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Thu May 18, 2017 11:39 pm

for me the only machine I felt out of step with was the Vic-20 : it was the one machine I could not love in any way, shape or form. Although I was completely happy with my chain - Apple II > C64 > Amiga 500 > PC, I remember feeling jealousy looking at games from the Amstrad and the PC Engine in particular. The Amstrad's screenshots to me often looked better than those of my beloved C64 but (only recently) having played with some Amstrad titles finally I see that I didn't miss out on much. But the PC Engine, wow.. if I could have been offered either a C64 at the time or a PC Engine... that would have been a tough one.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri May 19, 2017 8:03 am

I would pick the same (Speccy), loved the games for that, had it for years. Again back then all my mates had Speccys first so that was the main reason i had one, plus my parents probably wanted to go for the 'cheaper' one in case these new fangled home computers were a one year fad

Still surprised when i hear stories of kids who were my age back then getting their parents to get them a different 8 bit computer !

che_don_john

Post by che_don_john » Fri May 19, 2017 3:20 pm

I started with a second-hand Amstrad CPC-464 and didn't really have a choice (I was just grateful to have it!). If I could go back I would definitely have chosen an Amiga.

Everything else since then - Master System, GameBoy, Mega Drive, Playstation, Dreamcast, PS2, PS3 and PS4 - I've been pleased with. At some point I have owned the other consoles of those generations (e.g. buying an Xbox and GameCube some years after the PS2) but I wouldn't change my first choices.

The only exception would be the 32X. I got that not long after release and it was terrible (although it did get me interested in Star Wars).
CheDonJohn's Sale/Trade/Wanted/Giveaway thread

PSN ID, XBL Gamertag and Steam: CheDonJohn
Playfire profile

SpecChum81
Location: London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wubble!!

Post by SpecChum81 » Fri May 19, 2017 4:26 pm

Interesting question!

I don't think I'd change anything, as I'm rather happy with my system/console history

VIC-20
ZX81
Game Boy
Mega Drive
PS1
PS2
PS3

I still have all my systems and they all still work brilliantly! :D

I never owned a Master System, so if I could go back in time I'd add that to my list, as I always had great fun whenever I got to play on one at various friends and cousins houses.
Press Play On Tape

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Fri May 19, 2017 8:38 pm

It wasn't really a choice for me, as I got what I was given or could afford. My route was VCS, Speccy, XL, C64, St, Amiga, Ps1 , N64 then PC. Would I change that route if I could? Doubt it. The VCS was the best system around at the time, all my mates at school had Speccys, I enjoyed my brief dalliance with XL and C64. I would have enjoyed having a SNES, but i preferred having a much wider variety of games on 16 bit computers.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri May 19, 2017 11:44 pm

I dunno. For the most part paid my own way and saved for and bought second hand most of the time. Because of such a tight budget I really researched what I bought with hardware and titles. In my teens of course you bought what your friends had for tape swopping.

Obviously there are some I'd have loved I could never afford at the time, but otherwise pretty satisfied and happy with what I had. Would have loved a Vectrex and Colecovision. :)

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Sat May 20, 2017 8:54 am

Spectrum - only thing I would change is selling off my games really cheap when my +2 died.

Mega drive - again , regret selling my original collection back in my college days for beer and smoke money.

Snes - didn't regret getting rid of any of it - except for one game. Looking back , probably wouldn't even bother.

PS1 - still enjoyed a hell of a lot. I'd just change some of my purchase choices. Oh and remember to buy that box full of very cheap sealed Vib Ribbons from local games store.

Dreamcast - a decision I have never regretted. Again , knowing then what I know now I would have bought certain titles when they were being sold off cheap locally.

GameCube - Regret this only for getting rid of my original console and some of the games I've sold that are now considered premium.

Ps2 - apart from a few retro based games , I allowed my collecting for this get out of hand. Lucky really considering the purchases I got from this . The future of my ps2 collection is non expanding.

PS3 - bought my first and still in use console for 30 quid or thereabouts as an experiment in whether I wanted one. I've avoided most trash premium titles and been pretty happy.

All in all I've been very happy with my machine choices , just made a few duff choices with buying selling games.

Machines I wish I had owned at the relevant time - Atari Lynx , Nes.

When it comes down to it , my identity itself part comes from my choices in games playing and buying. It's me and it just means I could enjoy discovering the others as an older nerd.