So, tell me about the original Nintendo Wii......

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Antiriad2097

Re: So, tell me about the original Nintendo Wii......

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu May 18, 2017 4:28 pm

Wiimote accuracy can be greatly effected by the environment. The sensor bar is nothing more than a couple of points of light that the Wiimote reads. Any other light sources (windows, reflections, candles... and lightbulbs of course) can make it flakey. An evenly lit room that isn't too bright can make a big difference. Just closing the curtains can be beneficial, even in the likes of Aberdeen.

Sensor bar placement can also be significant - I tend to stick mine to the top of the telly for max visibility- if I put it under the telly, sometimes the sideboard can obscure it when the Woomote is held low.

Its no equal for a GunCon 2, you'll get the odd missed shot, but plenty good enough that it shouldn't spoil your fun.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu May 18, 2017 4:33 pm

Got a wireless one for events, the range of it is insane
It was on one side to Fab Cafe
I was on the other (30ft?)
It was working

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu May 18, 2017 4:56 pm

Doesn't it work without the sensor bar and just a couple of candles at the right distance apart? Or was that bullcrap?
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Thu May 18, 2017 5:12 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 4:56 pm
Doesn't it work without the sensor bar and just a couple of candles at the right distance apart? Or was that bullcrap?
I actually tested this once, and I can confirm it does work, and with relative ease.

Although candles are probably more expensive than sensor bars these days, and more dangerous!

Analog

Post by Analog » Thu May 18, 2017 5:39 pm

DPrinny wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 4:33 pm
Got a wireless one for events, the range of it is insane
It was on one side to Fab Cafe
I was on the other (30ft?)
It was working
impressive! the floatiness is a concern, but i'll give it a shot :mrgreen: and opt for targetting on where I need it.
cheers.

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Thu May 18, 2017 6:12 pm

Don't expect it to be cheap though....

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Thu May 18, 2017 8:18 pm

Sephiroth81 wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 6:40 am
The Wii U supposedly upscales Wii games to 1080p as well, and Wii games look pretty nice then as well (at least the few I tried on it).
I've heard Wii U doesn't change the resolution but does add some sort of image filtering, but I'm not sure about it. On PC emus, you can scale to 4K and beyond and use custom controllers and graphics mods. GC and Wii emulation has progressed quite a bit and even once glitchy/unplaylable games are a different story these days, but you do need a powerful system and some tinkering.

dste

Post by dste » Fri May 19, 2017 3:31 am

Boom Blox Bash Party
Conduit 1 & 2.
de Blob (though note that you cannot save mid-level and at least one level can take half hour+)
Disaster Day of Crisis (Either one of the best games ever or one of the worst, definitely worth playing though).
Donkey Kong Country Returns
Ghost Squad
Goldeneye
House of the Dead Overkill
House of the Dead 2+3
Kirby's Epic Yarn
The Last Story
Little King's Story
Mad World
Mario Kart
Mario Galaxy 1+2
Metroid: Other M ( Despite the terrible storyline I enjoyed the game).
Metroid: Prime trilogy (can be epensive).
No More Heroes
Okami
Pandora's Tower
Punch-Out
Resident Evil 4
Sin and Punishment
Smash Bros Brawl
Tatsunoko vs Capcom
Xenoblade Chronicles
Zack & Wiki

I'm sure I will have missed some games off that are worth playing but I really don't think you can go wrong with the games on the list.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri May 19, 2017 3:42 am

For No More Heroes, get an import version, the PAL one has all the blood removed and replaced with sparkly stuff which rather ruins the aesthetic.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Fri May 19, 2017 4:16 am

Liamh1982 wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 12:18 pm
When it comes to running emulators on a Wii though, the king is Genesis Plus GX. Arguably a better Mega Drive emu than any on the PC (the audio is the closest to 100% accurate I've ever heard) but undisputably a better Mega CD emu than any on the PC. Kega Fusion won't run M-CD Road Rash. Gens won't run it either. Gen+ GX runs it superbly (I would say perfectly but I know Seph's watching! :lol: ).
Blimey! Having never owned a Megadrive, I wasn't really aware of genesis plus gx's accuracy, but noticed it was very well supported and never seemed to run exceptionally well. The fact it supports Mega CD, Master System, Game Gear as well is superb.

I wonder if it will ever run 32x games though? I can't seem to find a 32x Wii emulator. The original Xbox seems to have a competent 32x emulator that appears to be glitch free, so I'd like to think the Wii is capable of it.

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Fri May 19, 2017 9:03 am

Hi David,

Can I ask how did you hack your Wii? I did it some time ago but I've recently had to format the console. Someone did suggest using the 'bomb' method ?!
Is there a youtube video? Lazy I know but my life is crazy busy at the moment so any pointers would be appreciated.

As for game collecting, I'm slowly building a collection up purely based on price and it's great discovering some gems I didn't have a clue about, so don't be put off by the price of some of the games out there!
All the following are 75p :o or less on the CEX site -

Rogue Trooper
Madden '09
PES 2011
FIFA '11
Trauma Center Second Opinion
Heatseeker
Tiger Woods '09
Mercury Meltdown Revolution
SSX Blur
Battalion Wars 2
Overlord - Dark Legend
Madworld
Cursed Mountain

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Fri May 19, 2017 9:10 am

TheDude18 wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 9:03 am
Hi David,

Can I ask how did you hack your Wii? I did it some time ago but I've recently had to format the console. Someone did suggest using the 'bomb' method ?!
Is there a youtube video? Lazy I know but my life is crazy busy at the moment so any pointers would be appreciated.

As for game collecting, I'm slowly building a collection up purely based on price and it's great discovering some gems I didn't have a clue about, so don't be put off by the price of some of the games out there!
All the following are 75p :o or less on the CEX site -

Rogue Trooper
Madden '09
PES 2011
FIFA '11
Trauma Center Second Opinion
Heatseeker
Tiger Woods '09
Mercury Meltdown Revolution
SSX Blur
Battalion Wars 2
Overlord - Dark Legend
Madworld
Cursed Mountain
cex are good for wii but expect to pay alot or go cash converters i got carnival games for £1 cex wanted £8
This guy are sick

David

Post by David » Fri May 19, 2017 9:48 am

His can't remember the exact site I used but Google "wii letterbox hack"

Takes literally 5 minutes

A bit complicated to get he file structure for emulators up and running but worth it in the end

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri May 19, 2017 10:27 am

TheDude18 wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 9:03 am
Hi David,

I used the Letter bomb way on mine, can be a bit of a git to get working, but as long as all the directions are followed perfectly problems wont occur and if they do a bit of GOOGLEO ACTIONARU will find the solution

David

Post by David » Fri May 19, 2017 11:00 am

Aye letterbomb thats what I meant :)