So, tell me about the original Nintendo Wii......

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Sephiroth81

Re: So, tell me about the original Nintendo Wii......

Post by Sephiroth81 » Thu May 18, 2017 6:40 am

outdated_gamer wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 7:57 pm
I've also avoided the Wii, mainly because of the "gimmicky" motion controls and the fact it was basically a "overclocked GameCube", but it does have some nice games for it, mainly Nintendo's own titles like the Mario Galaxy games but also some 3rd party niche Japanese games. I think nowadays, it would be best to play those games on a PC emulator in high resolutions and standard gamepad support if you have a good enough PC, but I guess 2nd hand systems don't cost much and would be appealing to those who still have a CRT TV screen (I have one but don't really use it much) and maybe as a "light" emulation system for the pre-3D systems.
I think Wii games through component at 480p look reasonable still on modern televisions (although the smaller the telly the better for pixel density). The Wii U supposedly upscales Wii games to 1080p as well, and Wii games look pretty nice then as well (at least the few I tried on it).

Emulation sounds very advanced for Gamecube/Wii (with Dolphin), i guess thanks to fairly straightforward and well understood hardware. I'll have to check it out, my only concern is the control setup, as a few games need the infrared pointer controls, as well as some of the other features of the wiimotes/nunchucks etc might be better with native controls.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Thu May 18, 2017 6:43 am

David wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 6:34 am
Thankfully most of the games I want can be played with the cube controller

Just set up the snes emulator before work there. Wow I love it full screen and looks great even on hdtv
Yeah, the SNES emulator is a pretty solid port of SNES9X. Nice and customisable, and looks good on HDTV as you said, although I tend to either switch to 4:3 mode directly on TV, or within the emulator options, as SNES games stretched out to 16:9 looks pretty weird. The black borders along the sides don't bother me when in 4:3 on HDTVs anymore.

Analog

Post by Analog » Thu May 18, 2017 7:18 am

you'll get the best looking picture for your gc games for the price of the equipment by using bc on a wii and relevant cables. you could buy several wii consoles for the price of one gc component cable!

David

Post by David » Thu May 18, 2017 8:16 am

Can I save game cube saves to sd card or do I need a gc memory card?

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu May 18, 2017 9:06 am

If your doing it the legit way you need a GC memory card
If off a HDD you can save on it

David

Post by David » Thu May 18, 2017 10:33 am

I like that classic controller, very comfy and great for the snes games.

Downloaded a set of roms with a load of jap super famicom stuff as well so that should keep me busy for a while

Started getting some n64 stuff too until I realised that bar 5 or 6 games everything else on it is a pile of steaming monkey sh*t

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Thu May 18, 2017 12:18 pm

When it comes to running emulators on a Wii though, the king is Genesis Plus GX. Arguably a better Mega Drive emu than any on the PC (the audio is the closest to 100% accurate I've ever heard) but undisputably a better Mega CD emu than any on the PC. Kega Fusion won't run M-CD Road Rash. Gens won't run it either. Gen+ GX runs it superbly (I would say perfectly but I know Seph's watching! :lol: ).

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Thu May 18, 2017 12:19 pm

personaly i'm addicted to wheel of fortune but i'd also recomend hyysteria hospital,new mario wii,pikmin and bully
This guy are sick

Gigifusc

Post by Gigifusc » Thu May 18, 2017 2:20 pm

First of all, try and get a wii plus controller if you can as they're a little more sensitive than the standard ones.

Second, make sure you setup your wii space correctly.
The sensor bar central to where you sit and give yourself plenty of swing room - the more the better IMO.

Thirdly, games.

First party ones were the best. Zelda's and Mario's are a must!
Be careful with third party games - they varied from excellent to real hard core bottom of the censored barrel. Don't be tempted with cheap wii games going for £1 because the wii had a ratio of something like 20/80 between good games and utter censored. This was just down to small publishers releasing quick cheap rubbish to make a fast buck from the unsuspecting new casual console demographic - aunts basically.

I guess all I'm saying is - be selective despite the number of games.

Hope that helps. Enjoy. :)

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu May 18, 2017 2:32 pm

Gigifusc wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 2:20 pm
Don't be tempted with cheap wii games going for £1 because the wii had a ratio of something like 20/80 between good games and utter censored. This was just down to small publishers releasing quick cheap rubbish to make a fast buck from the unsuspecting new casual console demographic - aunts basically.
No

BUY THE CHEAP TAT!!

Actually Lets Tap is probably the most interesting of Wii games, I got that on the cheap with the big box, the box IS NEEDED for the game, well ok maybe not, a cereal box will do.
Plonk the Wiimote on the box and tap
Sounds dumb, kinda is, is also fun

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Thu May 18, 2017 2:42 pm

DPrinny wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 2:32 pm
Gigifusc wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 2:20 pm
Don't be tempted with cheap wii games going for £1 because the wii had a ratio of something like 20/80 between good games and utter censored. This was just down to small publishers releasing quick cheap rubbish to make a fast buck from the unsuspecting new casual console demographic - aunts basically.
No

BUY THE CHEAP TAT!!

Actually Lets Tap is probably the most interesting of Wii games, I got that on the cheap with the big box, the box IS NEEDED for the game, well ok maybe not, a cereal box will do.
Plonk the Wiimote on the box and tap
Sounds dumb, kinda is, is also fun
the only wii game i hated was eidlons other than that the party games quizes and sports game still provide me hours of fun
This guy are sick

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu May 18, 2017 2:45 pm

DEFINITELY get House of the Dead Overkill. It's gory, it's foul-mouthed, it's disgusting and it's f***** up and that all adds up to FUN. It's hilarious.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Analog

Post by Analog » Thu May 18, 2017 3:42 pm

Megamixer wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 2:45 pm
DEFINITELY get House of the Dead Overkill. It's gory, it's foul-mouthed, it's disgusting and it's f***** up and that all adds up to FUN. It's hilarious.
how accurate is the wii mote for light gun games like these? I have the playstation 3 version and found the move controllers are utterly useless for light gun use. couldn't get through boss sections because they were so inaccurate and inconsistent with aiming.

Flint

Post by Flint » Thu May 18, 2017 3:59 pm

I loved the pointer stuff and think split controllers are the future.

Anyway I believe you can mod a lot of games to remove the waggle, Donkey Kong Country Returns probably benefits the most from it.

Rodea The Sky Soldier was one of the last decent games, it was a WiiU release of a crappy version that came with a better Wii version so is easy to overlook. Boom Blox is easy to miss too.

I never would have guessed I'd like Punch-Out!! so much either.

A Boy and His Blob has a hug button, just saying.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu May 18, 2017 4:01 pm

Analog wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 3:42 pm
Megamixer wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 2:45 pm
how accurate is the wii mote for light gun games like these? I have the playstation 3 version and found the move controllers are utterly useless for light gun use. couldn't get through boss sections because they were so inaccurate and inconsistent with aiming.
Not 100%, the Wii is a bit floaty on them all
On a lot of them you can have a target on screen, it helps

But not on Mad dog Mccgree
That game is arse on everything