Highly rated games that you do not like.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Rayne

Re: Highly rated games that you do not like.

Post by Rayne » Sun May 21, 2017 9:31 am

mrmessy wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 9:54 am
Rayne wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 9:36 am
The majority of the top-selling multi plat titles. Battlefield, COD are two particular series that I find rather dull (save for the recent COD in space, which was pretty cool).
Yes, that space based COD that all the hardcore COD fans were apparently "disliking" was the only one that has ever looked anything like interesting to me!
It was cool! You had a cyborg companion any everything.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Sun May 21, 2017 5:49 pm

Ecco the Dolphin - looked pretty and was certainly original, but no fun to play and completely unfair

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Mon May 22, 2017 1:08 pm

Ive tried to get into some GRand theft auto games, but the constant swearing and go fetch tasks are borderline tedious/annoying.

3d platformers. I love mario64 but the expanse of some titles is daunting. Sly cooper or ratchet and clank offerings being an example.

Analog

Post by Analog » Mon May 22, 2017 2:26 pm

Negative Creep wrote:
Sun May 21, 2017 5:49 pm
Ecco the Dolphin - looked pretty and was certainly original, but no fun to play and completely unfair
I kind of think of it as being a bit of a novelty game really. also agree about vectorman, that game seemed really overhyped. probably had a big budget at the time? considering all the mentions I see it get when people talk about md/genesis games I didn't rate it that high.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon May 22, 2017 6:11 pm

Analog wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 2:26 pm
Negative Creep wrote:
I kind of think of it as being a bit of a novelty game really. also agree about vectorman, that game seemed really overhyped. probably had a big budget at the time? considering all the mentions I see it get when people talk about md/genesis games I didn't rate it that high.
Probably because it was quite advanced-looking for the time. It's okay but not too exciting.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Analog

Post by Analog » Tue May 23, 2017 10:04 am

Megamixer wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 6:11 pm
Analog wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 2:26 pm
Negative Creep wrote:
Probably because it was quite advanced-looking for the time. It's okay but not too exciting.
yea I remember seeing it and thinking that looks kinda cool, when I played it later on though I wasn't quite as impressed.

mr jenzie

Post by mr jenzie » Tue May 23, 2017 1:03 pm

UNCHARTED

tomb raider derivative that's LESS open in game play
and no auto targeting either because i'm lazy :P

played the demos of the first three and simply wasn't impressed
there were a few more of that type that i did get into more of

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Tue May 23, 2017 11:10 pm

Final fantasy and most JRPG's I've tried many of them and I find them too tedious and time consuming.

stvd

Post by stvd » Mon May 29, 2017 9:35 am

Streets of Rage or anything remotely similar. Cadillacs & Dinosaurs, Final Fight. etc. etc.
Button bashing at it's worst.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Mon May 29, 2017 10:26 am

stvd wrote:
Mon May 29, 2017 9:35 am
Streets of Rage or anything remotely similar. Cadillacs & Dinosaurs, Final Fight. etc. etc.
This could be said for the scrolling beat-em-up genre in general though. The appeal comes from co-operative play with another person or more. On your own, they're not as interesting.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Mon May 29, 2017 10:27 am

stvd wrote:
Only on the surface and only to people who don't put time into the games.

Learning tactics to beat bosses and learning how to approach each enemy takes time and skill.

Its like with anything, have a button masher and an experienced player play streets of rage 2 side by side and you will see the difference. it takes as much skill to beat games like this on one life as it does with shooters etc.

just like games such as pacman and donkey kong etc seem simple on the surface, there is lots to learn.
Last edited by RodimusPrime on Mon May 29, 2017 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stvd

Post by stvd » Mon May 29, 2017 11:42 am

outdated_gamer wrote:
Mon May 29, 2017 10:26 am
This could be said for the scrolling beat-em-up genre in general though.
Absolutely, there's none that I can think of with any redeeming qualities except maybe The Simpsons at a push.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Mon May 29, 2017 4:34 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:
Mon May 29, 2017 10:27 am
stvd wrote:
Only on the surface and only to people who don't put time into the games.

Learning tactics to beat bosses and learning how to approach each enemy takes time and skill.

Its like with anything, have a button masher play side by side to somets of rage 2 side by side and you will see the difference. it takes as much skill to beat games like this on one life as it does with shooters etc.

just like games such as pacman and donkey kong etc seem simple on the surface, there is lots to learn.
Absolutely spot on.

Ferret Oxide

Post by Ferret Oxide » Mon May 29, 2017 4:53 pm

I forgot to mention Ocarina of Time.

Now, before anyone's head explodes at my wrongness, let me explain.

The game felt like such a disappointment at the time. The dialogue was awful, especially amything uttered by the Great Deku Tree or Mido. Hyrule field was a large, open space populated by a single Peahat. I used to love exploring the land in the earlier Zelda games, looking for secrets. But there was nothing here.

The characters were rubbish, too. Mido, Talin the Terrible Father, the Waluigi rip off at the ranch...

It all seemed so promising in that opening cut scene. Ganondorf was menacing, there was lots of atmosphere... and then I'm being shouted at by a fairy while I help someone cut a lawn for Mido, before meeting a narcissistic tree auditioning for a bad Shakespeare production.

By then, flashes of brilliance such as Link and Saria on the bridge just made it obvious how great the game could have been.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Mon May 29, 2017 5:03 pm

Here's a controversial one - Banjo-Kazooie/Tootie and Conker's Bad Fur Day. I never played them when they were new, so trying to do so for the first time now just shows how badly they've aged. I felt the Banjo games lacked charm and were awkward to control, and whereas the 15 ear old me would have found CBFD hilarious for all the rude stuff, it doesn't have quite the same effect when you're in your 30's.