What format do you play most games on?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Do you play most retro games on

PC based emulators
40%
Other platform based emulators
15%
The actual 'retro' machines
46%

Total votes: 48

thl

Post by thl » Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:09 am

Dudley wrote:You have a broken Master system? I didn't think that was even possible!
One of the circuit board was damaged. Was a bit puzzled about why the console isn't running at all. Expected the green light to come on, but nothing didn't happen. Was left gutted to found that it was dead. :(

The last time I play on that console was in 1994. Would went on and replace it with the Amiga 1200, SNES and Gameboy. Still hoping to get another Master System or probably the Power Base Converter.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:47 am

Well they're very easy to get hold of. I do recommend if you're buying from scratch you get hold of a Master system 1 and an RGB SCART lead. The SMS2 unfortunately can't support SCART.

The added benefit is, if you have a Mega Drive 1, they can use the same SCART lead.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

Frank Chickens

Post by Frank Chickens » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:17 pm

PSP and DS I use to play games and use emulators as I can't be bothered to do it on my PC. The PSP mainly gets used for emulators which considering the PC can run them full-screen and in greater variety is strange but I put it down to the portability.
"A cynic is what an optimist calls a realist"

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:49 pm

So more people are still playing on actual machines than any other single platform, although not by much!

Put the two types of emulation together and overall emulation is winning by a fair bit!

That's a compleat turnaround from the old Live poll that I remember :shock:

Wildnites

Post by Wildnites » Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:45 am

I use the retro machines, helps me go back to my childhood :)

Also if I play a game on the Speccy I have time to make a cuppa while it loads :lol:
Please Sir I cannot tell a lie......

8bitgamer

Post by 8bitgamer » Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:12 am

I prefer actual retro machines because of the controls.

http://brettweisswords.blogspot.com/

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:11 am

GarryG wrote:So more people are still playing on actual machines than any other single platform, although not by much!

Put the two types of emulation together and overall emulation is winning by a fair bit!

That's a compleat turnaround from the old Live poll that I remember :shock:
I would guess that when it comes to arcade retro-gaming 99% is done via emulation. Even guys ike Archer who have cash & space for cabs coudn't have all the originals they would like - and as for us mere mortals ,it's MAME or nothing
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

sonic91

Post by sonic91 » Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:30 am

it's always best to play the original games on the original hardware. emulation is good, but you can't beat the feeling of owning and playing the original.
Fight the good fight of faith,
Lay hold on Eternal life.

-1 Timothy 6:12-

michaelf

Post by michaelf » Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:18 am

It was a close call for me. I play a lot of Spectrum games on my iBook and I use my PSP for several of the retro compilations. BUT I still use my Spectrum and Amiga to play games on them.

I also use my Amiga to emulate the Spectrum and Master System - where's the option for "using retro systems to emulate other systems" ? :D

I think the main point is that people still get chance to enjoy yesteryear's games (in whatever format).

Mr. Pointless

Post by Mr. Pointless » Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:22 am

I don't have enough room for all the consoles I've played in the past, so emulation is something of a necessity, and the lack of room and the fact I have 2 current-gen consoles already means I can't get the Dreamcast out as often as I would like. That could change if I can get the damn telly moved today. Plus, on top of giving me room for the DC, it'll help my neck too. Two birds! One stone! :D
Amiga: "Insert Disk 7"
User: "When I work out how to magically pull that out of my **** I will, because it's not in the box."

Xbox 360: Mr Pointless | PSN: Mr_Pointless | Steam: Mr Pointless