The Rise and Fall of Command & Conquer

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

outdated_gamer

The Rise and Fall of Command & Conquer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sat May 06, 2017 9:03 am

Interesting video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ROk7Mgh13w&t=918s

I'm sure everyone here atleast heard of C&C, it used to be the premier real time strategy series on the PC but also got several console ports. Things started to go downhill once Westwood Studios was dissolved and culminated in C&C 4, the last and worst part of the series which also ended it.

Today, it's possible to get the later 3D titles (sans Generals) on Steam which I recommend when they're on sale but most would say the 2D ones were the best and for that there is a large C&C collection over on Origin, which is also one of the few desirable items for me in that store.

It's also worth mentioning that C&C Gold and Tiberian Sun with it's expansion were released for free at some point so getting hold of them would not be breaking any laws, but I do recommend running them via community programs like OpenRA which make them playlable on modern machines and enhance them in various ways (including a fully working multi-player with many players).

markopoloman

Re: The Rise and Fall of Command & Conquer

Post by markopoloman » Sat May 06, 2017 9:42 am

C&C as a series was fantastic - up to Generals. But yeah, RA and RA2 were brilliant multiplayer games.
TA took over for me though - but that was just one game (I don't count Kingdoms as it was a bit naff!).
Will watch the vid later.
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Sun May 07, 2017 4:14 am

Tiberium sun, and the Firestorm expansion, was the first game I picked-up when I bought my first PC (as apposed to a console) back in 2001-ish so I'm rather fond of it. I still have the music and sfx lodged in my mind, despite not having played it in 10 years.
Never really got-on with any of the others.

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Sun May 07, 2017 6:19 am

For me it's all about Red Alert 2 and Generals (which wasn't as good as RA2 but was still a good game). I couldn't get into any of the others.

Nikolai

Post by Nikolai » Sun May 07, 2017 10:34 am

First taste I had was RA1 I think, closely followed or predated by the original C&C1. Tiberian Sun was the first I owned myself though, and how I loved it! Played it so much, but never managed to beat the later levels. Loved the destroyable terrain, something many at the time critizised due to the hardware required to run that. My Pentium MMX 166 MHz did the job though!

RA2 I also loved, Generals was kinda meh for me. The later games was less fun, and C&C4 I never bothered with at all.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun May 07, 2017 5:33 pm

The 2d ones were really fun, but ruined it for me when they went 3d - totally unnecessary too.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Mon May 08, 2017 5:10 am

I loved the first few however by the time we got to 4 I was done :(
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Mon May 08, 2017 6:35 am

outdated_gamer wrote:
Sat May 06, 2017 9:03 am
Interesting video:

I'm sure everyone here atleast heard of C&C, it used to be the premier real time strategy series on the PC but also got several console ports. Things started to go downhill once Westwood Studios was dissolved and culminated in C&C 4, the last and worst part of the series which also ended it.

Today, it's possible to get the later 3D titles (sans Generals) on Steam which I recommend when they're on sale but most would say the 2D ones were the best and for that there is a large C&C collection over on Origin, which is also one of the few desirable items for me in that store.

It's also worth mentioning that C&C Gold and Tiberian Sun with it's expansion were released for free at some point so getting hold of them would not be breaking any laws, but I do recommend running them via community programs like OpenRA which make them playlable on modern machines and enhance them in various ways (including a fully working multi-player with many players).
For me it went downhill with Tiberium Sun, dodgy pathfinding and on one occasion a mission being uncompletable due to me finding a way to get to the objective without going across a particular trigger point on the map and setting off an enemy attack. The Red Alert games were always more fun and better balanced.

Goldenduster

Post by Goldenduster » Mon May 08, 2017 1:26 pm

I was particularly disappointed with the transition to touch screen.

It seemed made for iPad and the like but what I did manage to find over the years isn't even available in the store anymore and it just didn't "work"

On another subject I really enjoyed the Lord of the Rings games which were inspired by C&C - Battle for Middle Earth and the sequel. Being a C&C and LOTR fan it was like all of my Christmases has come at once! And the games were pretty decent too...

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Mon May 08, 2017 5:22 pm

Treguard wrote:
Mon May 08, 2017 6:35 am
outdated_gamer wrote:
Interesting video:

For me it went downhill with Tiberium Sun, dodgy pathfinding and on one occasion a mission being uncompletable due to me finding a way to get to the objective without going across a particular trigger point on the map and setting off an enemy attack. The Red Alert games were always more fun and better balanced.
Oh, what mission was that? I remember Firestorm being very unstable but I don't recall having any issues with the main campaign.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue May 09, 2017 6:38 am

Epic epic game. Was so addicted to Red Alert, bought my first PC (66mhz - 1600 quid !) mostly for that game !

We had it on every computer in our office so once the boss was gone we played multiplayer on the network, such good times. The add on packs werent too bad (I remember that 'green' box which was an expansion) but we never got into Tiberian Sun , mostly just Red Alert addicts.

Seeing screenshots or hearing the Tanya cackle brings back amazing memories. My trick was to put a boatyard in a 'pond' and bombard the opposition with battleships. But just great memories. Tiberian Sun i bought but just couldnt get into, dont know if it was because i had 'moved on' to other games but just never really liked that.

But good good times

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Tue May 09, 2017 8:39 am

Yeah, I loved Command and Conquer. Red Alert was superb - having those annoying Tanyas come and bomb your base. I loved the Tesla coils in that game. I often played as the Soviets - as I just loved their jets. Really good in skirmish mode and multiplayer.

I loved played Generals as well. Had some really great multiplayer times with that. Hell, there I was in London, my brother up in Derby, my Dad down in Kent and my uncle in Switzerland and we'd all link-up over the internet for a game! The wonder of modern technology. I often played as the GLA(I guess that game is a bit unPC - as they're obviously based on some sort of Middle East group) - I liked their vehicles the best(even though they had no aircraft) and the SCUDs and poison bombs. The laser beam superweapon of the USA was a real pain in the backside - that could wipe out a whole building - taking out a lot of stuff you needed! I even got a few extra maps for Generals.

Can't say that I played Tiberian Sun - I've heard of it though.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue May 09, 2017 8:54 am

So we used to do 4 players, one of my mates was like a hippy (Sure i've typed this a few times here at the forum before !) and used to just barricade himself in with tons of walls and teslas etc.

Then after the huge battle between the 3 of us we were all so weak he practically strolled out, killed us all and then won. Did that tactic many a time.

Another time we logged in on all the machines, secretly moved some Tanyas near my mates base and then saved the game and quit. That evening when we played i'm sure the whole of Berkshire could hear his scream/shouts when out of nowhere these Tanyas started blowing up the back of his base. Good times !

Red Alert was one of those 'gold' gaming moments you just remember/smile at years later.

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Tue May 09, 2017 9:35 am

SJ_Sathanas wrote:
Mon May 08, 2017 5:22 pm
Treguard wrote:
Mon May 08, 2017 6:35 am
outdated_gamer wrote:
Interesting video:

Oh, what mission was that? I remember Firestorm being very unstable but I don't recall having any issues with the main campaign.
The one where you have to rescue Tratos. basically I snuck round the bottom of the map, got across the bridge to the prison camp bit, then blew it up. But because I hadn't fought the other enemies on the map, the orca that came to rescue him landed, but I couldn't get him to enter it.