Has Competing Hardware simply become an annoyance?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

SJ_Sathanas

Has Competing Hardware simply become an annoyance?

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Sat May 06, 2017 9:36 am

Talking about the Xbox One and Playstation 4, is having two almost identical but competing hardware manufacturers counterproductive? Excluding Nintendo's push toward left-field alternatives, it seems to me we haven't had competing but actually different hardware since the N64/Playstation/Sega Saturn generation. I think it started with the Xbox and Playstation 2, where you had a lot of games available for both but (I think) enough exclusives to justify one or the other (or if you were lucky, both), but they converged with the 360 and PS3 and again with the One and PS4.

I have an Xbox One, but there have been a few Playstation 4 games of late that have made me consider getting a PS4 but I just can't be bothered buying another big black box for the sake of one or two games. If they were all on one platform I'd have bought the games already. If the PS4 were properly backwards compatible then I could "upgrade" the PS3, which is getting kinda old now, but it isn't.

I'll be honest I don't know what the situation is for the import "scene" and multiplayer as I don't really bother with them.

gunbladelad

Re: Has Competing Hardware simply become an annoyance?

Post by gunbladelad » Sat May 06, 2017 9:42 am

To be honest, the Xbox & Playstation markets are competing for the exact same crowd who want endless sequels, 50 billion more polygons per second to go with their extra 500 billion more shades of green & brown. Nintendo are - from what I'm seeing - completely acknowledging the fact that they're unlikely to ever attract those people so are simply doing things their own way - just as they have been since the days of the N64. Thing is though, the handheld market's always been Nintendo's stronghold, but it appears to be they're attempting to combine their console & handheld market into one with the switch. Time will tell how robust they are (probably pretty good since it's Nintendo) and how well they catch on.
Where logic won't work, I will

Flint

Post by Flint » Sat May 06, 2017 10:47 am

Yes but at least the competition keeps them in check, MS couldn't get away with their original XB1 plans and MS forced Sony to turn around the mess they made with the PS3 at launch.

It's a shame Sony seem to have given up on making handhelds, I liked the genuine differences between Sony and Nintendo there.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sat May 06, 2017 12:38 pm

Well, consoles need exclusives to sell. If you're talking about the hardware itself, the PS4 and XBO are very similar indeed, both using customized PC parts. But this is to be expected as the simplicity of collaborating with established hardware companies outweights the costs and complexities of developing own hardware. So what is actually happening is that we are getting more hardware choices rather than less. The PS4 Pro and Xbox Scropio could be considered new platforms, yet they are basically upgrades of existing ones. If so many choices is a good or a bad thing is up to the individual to decide.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat May 06, 2017 9:46 pm

...It's always been annoying ! :lol: Especially when younger, you have a system, family budgeting means you are lucky to have one, and of course exclusives will come out on other machines, to entice consumers. It's the name of the game, and how the school yard arguments came about, right back to Atari/Intellivision/O2 days- One gets an exclusive of some sort, which starts an argument of jealousy!

And C64 is still the best 8 bit computer :wink:

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Sat May 06, 2017 10:01 pm

gunbladelad wrote:
Sat May 06, 2017 9:42 am
To be honest, the Xbox & Playstation markets are competing for the exact same crowd who want endless sequels,
That's a load of generalising bollocks of course but even if it was totally true it would also apply to Nintendo anyway. Nintendo target the same crowd every single generation with the same stale franchises and the Nintendoid drones lap it all up in exactly the same way as the Sony and Microsoft punters do with the franchises on their respective platform of choice.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

killbot

Post by killbot » Sun May 07, 2017 5:41 pm

TBH gamers are their own worst enemies here. They moan that the Xbox and PlayStation are interchangable with largely identical libraries, but when a genuine alternative is available such as the Ouya or Wii U they don't buy it because they can't play CoD and FIFA on it.

I do remember the days when consoles had totally different libraries of games - and even distinct graphical effects so that when multiplatform titles did appear they looked and felt a bit different from one format to the next. But the PS2 era was probably the death knell for that.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Mon May 08, 2017 12:46 am

killbot wrote:
Sun May 07, 2017 5:41 pm
I do remember the days when consoles had totally different libraries of games - and even distinct graphical effects so that when multiplatform titles did appear they looked and felt a bit different from one format to the next. But the PS2 era was probably the death knell for that.
Yes, that time will never come back because hardware, and even software, is pretty homogenized now and there is not much room for wholly new things here. Maybe hardware-based ray tracing will become a thing but it still needs mammoth processing power to happen for what can nowadays simply be achieved with heavily tessellated polygons and traditional rasterization. That sort of rendering would make things like Hollywood CGI from Jurassic Park and Toy Story a thing in games, but to tell the truth outside of the fully curved surfaces in Toy Story, game graphics have already surpassed that sort of look via heavy shader usage. Plus if it does happen it will across all formats that will support it (i.e. have enough processing grunt).