Darksiders 3 announced

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

outdated_gamer

Darksiders 3 announced

Post by outdated_gamer » Tue May 02, 2017 2:30 pm

Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-QgJ-EFq7A

I still gotta get DS2 (I haven't yet because I heard of some problems in the PC port) but this is one of the cooler action-adventure series, kind of "Legacy of Kain" for present times. Seems like they're going for a all-new setting too, as expected since there are "four horsemen" which also indicates a potential fourth part.

ALK Temp

Re: Darksiders 3 announced

Post by ALK Temp » Tue May 02, 2017 2:48 pm

Have 1+2 on my 360 downloads waiting to be played (Along with 2 on Wii U. :lol: ). Shame there's no Switch version listed given how dedicated they are to porting the first game to Wii U even this late, but I'm one to talk given I've yet to play either. :lol:

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Tue May 02, 2017 2:50 pm

As part of the announcement celebrations there's a very good deal for the first two games on the Xbox One store.

The Darksiders Fury's War And Death bundle gets you the Darksiders 2 Deathinitive Edition and Darksiders Warmastered Edition for £16.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Tue May 02, 2017 5:46 pm

I really liked Darksiders 2 but for reasons I can't recall, I got distracted from it after about 20 hours and never went back to finish it.

I liked the art style, and the smooth combat. Seem to remember there were lots of barren open areas though, which were a bit dull.
Soon you will have forgotten all things: soon all things will have forgotten you. (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 7)

Analog

Post by Analog » Wed May 03, 2017 10:20 am

hmmm I thought ds 2 was a very average game. unless this improves it significantly I don't see what the big fuss is about? :?

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Thu May 04, 2017 4:08 pm

Well just got DS2 Deathinitive Edition as it was on a Steam sale so I'm looking forward to seeing how it's like. The art-style certainly appeals to me, with the gritty and "edgy" dark comic style and the idea of a Zelda/God of War hybrid so this should hook me before DS3 comes out the following year.

Gigifusc

Post by Gigifusc » Mon May 08, 2017 10:27 am

Loved Darksiders 1. War was such a great character and I used to love just walking around the landscape with his awesome skulking walk animation!
DS2 was ok, but not as good I felt.

This doesn't look that great so far if I'm honest. I just can't get my head around why you would create such as great character (War) and then throw him away for sequel games??

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Mon May 08, 2017 2:45 pm

Gigifusc wrote:
Mon May 08, 2017 10:27 am
I just can't get my head around why you would create such as great character (War) and then throw him away for sequel games??
Because there are "four horsemen of the apocalypse" as playlable characters in this franchise - War (first game), Death (sequel), Fury (replaced Pestilence, upcomming third game) and Strife (replaced Famine, potential fourth and likely final part of the series). Each game is thematically different as a consequence, but they're all connected with each other.

ps: Death is a cooler character for me, he's basically like a version of Raziel from Legacy of Kain. The visual aesthetics of DS2 are also superior to the first game in my view, with nice use of colder colour tones.

Gigifusc

Post by Gigifusc » Tue May 09, 2017 4:50 am

outdated_gamer wrote:
Mon May 08, 2017 2:45 pm
Gigifusc wrote:
Mon May 08, 2017 10:27 am
I just can't get my head around why you would create such as great character (War) and then throw him away for sequel games??
Because there are "four horsemen of the apocalypse" as playlable characters in this franchise - War (first game), Death (sequel), Fury (replaced Pestilence, upcomming third game) and Strife (replaced Famine, potential fourth and likely final part of the series). Each game is thematically different as a consequence, but they're all connected with each other.

ps: Death is a cooler character for me, he's basically like a version of Raziel from Legacy of Kain. The visual aesthetics of DS2 are also superior to the first game in my view, with nice use of colder colour tones.
Ok, so fair enough, the preference pf character is a personal thing (I think War was much better myself, but there you go). But I can't help but think the creation of a franchise character and possibly the franchise itself suffered heavily as a result of this character switching. By all means have the four horsemen characters in the game. It's a great core concept. But I didn't think it worked to totally switch characters between games. I loved the first game, loved War. Thought the second game wasn't as good, didn't like Death. I'm watching the video of 3 and I don't like it either.

The divisive nature of character switching causes problems in the player base. It rarely works. (Does sometimes, but not often).