What's your most played game this gen?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

outdated_gamer

Re: What's your most played game this gen?

Post by outdated_gamer » Tue May 02, 2017 5:19 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
outdated_gamer wrote:Well, we PC players don't really have generations or, to be more concrete, they happen much more regularly than on consoles (every few months)
I'm inclined to think the opposite. There's only been a couple of generations of PC. Old crappy DOS PCs. The 3Dfx era. Then a bit from that covers the whole Win9x to Win-7 ish. Then modern PCs.
I'd say those were "eras" rather than "generations". If you go from a early DOS game like King's Quest to a late DOS game like Quake there is a world of difference between the two technically speaking and still you would be setting the DOS environment as the basis for this "generation". There simply is no universal standard to what would account a "generation" on the PC, be it in hardware or software terms, as new hardware keeps comming up at a regular pace and so does new software.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue May 02, 2017 5:24 pm

Yet Quake doesn't require any particularly special hardware over King's Quest. Just a much faster CPU. It can all run very well in software, there's no need for dedicated 3D hardware or anything.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Tue May 02, 2017 5:33 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:Yet Quake doesn't require any particularly special hardware over King's Quest. Just a much faster CPU. It can all run very well in software, there's no need for dedicated 3D hardware or anything.
CPU-only rendering was interesting indeed, but eventually dedicated "3D accelerators" had to happen and become adopted for PC gaming to progress and not be stuck behind limited by pure CPU grunt. It's always better to have dedicated hardware to using work-arounds which software rendering sort of was.

Integrated graphics is a interesting topic on the PC though and I think they will be further improving, eventually offering "console quality graphics" for the average, GPU-less PC.

VirtuaMuser

Post by VirtuaMuser » Fri May 05, 2017 1:29 am

Animal Crossing New Leaf!

Home away from home :D Even more fun now with the new "quest" system :P

Flint

Post by Flint » Sat May 06, 2017 10:56 am

Spelunky. Mostly because I did the daily challenge every day for a long time. I'm over 2000 runs now even if that number is a little inflated by the quickly aborted speed runs.

Vita btw so I'm counting it as this gen.