GC and PS2 Emulation on an original Xbox

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

SJ_Sathanas

GC and PS2 Emulation on an original Xbox

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:42 am

As the advanced search function seems to be broken can anyone point me towards any sources where I might look into getting an original Xbox and emulating PS2 and Gamecube? I'm debating weather to get an Xbox or GC but a chipped Xbox capable of running both would be ideal. Do such emulators even exist?

Antiriad2097

Re: GC and PS2 Emulation on an original Xbox

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:50 am

Xbox isn't even close to powerful enough to emulate PS2 and GC.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:05 am

Maybe I'll just have to stick with Xbox One and PS3 updates? And just buy a GC. A Gamecube, One, PS3 and an original Xbox take up a lot of room, which is kinda why I was looking at emulation.

ANd there's a fair few missed titles too, of course.

aztecca

Post by aztecca » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:39 am

No way your gonna do ps2 and gamecube on xbox.Just pick up a wii for the gc games and an original 60 gb ps3 for ps2/1 games to save space.
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:53 am

PCSX2 and Dolphin work very well on modern PCs and laptops emulating PS2 and Gamecube respectively... try those out for size
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:51 pm

aztecca wrote:No way your gonna do ps2 and gamecube on xbox.Just pick up a wii for the gc games and an original 60 gb ps3 for ps2/1 games to save space.
Original PS3s were knackered 10 years ago. I'm not buying one now.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:01 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:Xbox isn't even close to powerful enough to emulate PS2 and GC.
The Xbox kicks up enough of a stink trying to emulate the PS1 and N64.

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Mon May 01, 2017 5:23 am

SJ_Sathanas wrote:Maybe I'll just have to stick with Xbox One and PS3 updates? And just buy a GC. A Gamecube, One, PS3 and an original Xbox take up a lot of room, which is kinda why I was looking at emulation.
That's nothing. I live in a bedsit and have pretty much every console/computer in the mainstream market from the Atari 2600 to the XBox 360. I average about 30/40 games and/or a flash-cart for each system.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Mon May 01, 2017 12:45 pm

You'd need some serious dark magic to get GC and PS2 emulation rolling on the original Xbox. :wink:

Generally speaking, you need atleast 10 times the hardware power for emulation to be feasible and the original Xbox, while a pretty capable entertainment system in it's time, was still no where close to being 10 times stronger than the PS2 and GC. There was even some scepticism that the Xbox One will be able to emulate the 360 and there's still no feasible PS3 emulation due to the complexity of the Cell CPU inside it. PCs can do it purely because of brute force hardware power (CPU speed is cruical) but even here software has to be optimized first.

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Mon May 01, 2017 12:53 pm

I have no idea how emulation works, as this thread demonstrates! So I'm left trying to decide between a modified xbox for the games that never got HD updates and emulation or a standard GC.

I think I'd prefer the 'Cube....but my girlfriend has made positive noises about some recent PS4 releases....

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon May 01, 2017 1:40 pm

As Aztecca says, the Wii is a great option for your GC needs. It runs GC games as standard, it has the ports for the regular GC pads and stuff so you get the full experience, and its easily soft modded to run stuff from HDD, emualtors etc. Since space is an issue, its probably a better system for you than the old XBox that fills half a room as the Wii has a tiny footprint. The Wii makes more sense than the GC for your needs, it covers more bases.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Tue May 02, 2017 4:07 am

outdated_gamer wrote:You'd need some serious dark magic to get GC and PS2 emulation rolling on the original Xbox. :wink:

Generally speaking, you need atleast 10 times the hardware power for emulation to be feasible and the original Xbox, while a pretty capable entertainment system in it's time, was still no where close to being 10 times stronger than the PS2 and GC. There was even some scepticism that the Xbox One will be able to emulate the 360 and there's still no feasible PS3 emulation due to the complexity of the Cell CPU inside it. PCs can do it purely because of brute force hardware power (CPU speed is cruical) but even here software has to be optimized first.

Doesn't the One run 360 games via emulation?

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Tue May 02, 2017 1:25 pm

Negative Creep wrote: Doesn't the One run 360 games via emulation?
It does and it's quite an achievement, seeing as the One is not quite 10 times stronger than the 360 (more like 5 times or so) so some good software optimization must have been going on in the background to make it happen. There still is no solid PS3 emulator though and it probably also won't happen very soon either due to the complexity of the CELL CPU (that CPU is actually more powerful than the PS4 CPU so good luck emulating it).

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Wed May 03, 2017 3:25 am

outdated_gamer wrote: It does and it's quite an achievement, seeing as the One is not quite 10 times stronger than the 360 (more like 5 times or so) so some good software optimization must have been going on in the background to make it happen.
This "ten times stronger" that you've now mentioned twice in this thread, is rather misleading and crude - I'd go as far as saying its just meaningless. There are plenty of host machines out there that are many many times stronger than the Sega Saturn, Atari Jaguar or N64, yet struggle with emulating those platforms, just as it takes a minimum 3Ghz processor to provide cycle-exact nigh on 100% accurate emulation for the Super Nintendo....which has a 3.58Mhz CPU!

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed May 03, 2017 4:18 am

Yeah, that's not really how the backwards compatibility on the XB1 works at all. It's far too slow to emulate the CPU of the 360 at more than a tiny fraction of that machine's speed, not least because the 360 is clocked nearly twice as fast and almost all its instructions can take as little as a single cycle to execute. Throw in that there are three cores, each capable of running two threads at once, and about a tenth as fast is as good as it's going to get even without allowing for synchronization between them. It's been speculated that it uses JIT (Just In Time) compilation which might improve things a little, but it certainly can't run 360 code at anything like native speeds.

Rather, it relies upon the fact that all the 360's hardware is abstracted behind DirectX interfaces, which can be virtualized and translated into equivalent calls on the XB1 and will sometimes be much faster than they were on the 360; most games spend far more time processing such calls than they typically do when running the game-specific parts of the engine, and the result is often something that runs at acceptable speed sometimes even better than the original. Not every game is going to work this way, as anything that constantly runs game-specific code on the CPU will be too slow, and anything that exploits bugs or unusual features of DirectX will need to be treated as a special case or won't work at all. However, it's offered a unique way to run the games on a system that wouldn't be capable of conventionally emulating them.

Such an approach could never work with consoles where you an program the "bare metal", so to speak, which is why things like the Saturn are still rather difficult to emulate even on much more powerful hardware.