What's Your Favourite Exidy Arcade Game?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Which one is your favourite?

Chiller
No votes
Venture
29%
Death Race
No votes
Mouse Trap
7%
Circus
14%
Pepper II
7%
Rip Cord
No votes
Targ
14%
Crossbow
21%
Other?
7%

Total votes: 14

The Laird

What's Your Favourite Exidy Arcade Game?

Post by The Laird » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:15 am

Exidy might not be the most famous arcade company out there but they created some very original, fun and often quite controversial games in the late seventies and early eighties. But of all the titles they produced which one is your favourite and why?

Full list of Exidy arcade games here!

Antiriad2097

Re: What's Your Favourite Exidy Arcade Game?

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:38 am

Boulder Dash. Because it's the only really good game they published. The rest are pretty ropey. We all gave Chiller a whirl for its novelty at the time, but it soon wore thin even then. Going back now, they just don't have much of a catalogue worth looking at.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:13 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:Boulder Dash. Because it's the only really good game they published. The rest are pretty ropey. We all gave Chiller a whirl for its novelty at the time, but it soon wore thin even then. Going back now, they just don't have much of a catalogue worth looking at.
I thought about including Boulder Dash but I decided to not to as it wasn't really their game, they just put it in the Max-A-Flex cabs.

I personally love quite a lot of these games - Pepper II, Mouse Trap, Venture and Targ are all favourites of mine but I gave the vote to the excellent Crossbow. Great in the arcades and one of the first 2600 games I ever owned.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:11 pm

Truthfully, I just don't have much experience with the games they made.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:17 pm

Venture is a brilliant game, bit like Berzerk. Used to love playing it on the 2600.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:43 pm

I voted for Targ. Played this a bit in the arcades, despite its very simple look I just found it hella addictive :)

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:47 pm

The Laird wrote:Exidy might not be the most famous arcade company out there but they created some very original, fun and often quite controversial games in the late seventies and early eighties. But of all the titles they produced which one is your favourite and why?

Full list of Exidy arcade games here!

Great site this links to! Will enjoy having a good sift through this later :)

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:09 pm

There's only two games on that list that I've played in the arcade - Bandido and Rough Ranger. Always thought Bandido was a Nintendo game, but I still play it now so my pick is Bandido. Rough Ranger after playing it recently I realised it's a 'Rolling Thunder' rip off even down to the animation and not as good as I remember.

I own the Colecovision carts of most of those games, Venture is superb good memory's of playing that down my friends house, doesn't end just loops the last dungeon. Mouse Trap I don't understand got the controllers overlay which uses every button, Colecovision Pepper 2 gets the most play from me. Not sure how they compare to the arcade versions. Got something on the Vectrex called Rip Off an Asteriods clone. Used to see people finish Crossbow down Porthcawl could never get on it (always crowds around it) I remember some demonic face
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:18 am

Wow, Exidy were complete also-rans judging by the games in the poll. There's absolutely nothing that's worth a vote. :lol:
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:16 am

Next poll: What is your favourite jobbie?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:13 am

Shinobi wrote:There's only two games on that list that I've played in the arcade - Bandido and Rough Ranger. Always thought Bandido was a Nintendo game, but I still play it now so my pick is Bandido. Rough Ranger after playing it recently I realised it's a 'Rolling Thunder' rip off even down to the animation and not as good as I remember.

I own the Colecovision carts of most of those games, Venture is superb good memory's of playing that down my friends house, doesn't end just loops the last dungeon. Mouse Trap I don't understand got the controllers overlay which uses every button, Colecovision Pepper 2 gets the most play from me. Not sure how they compare to the arcade versions. Got something on the Vectrex called Rip Off an Asteriods clone. Used to see people finish Crossbow down Porthcawl could never get on it (always crowds around it) I remember some demonic face
The Coleco versions of the Exidy coin-ops are really close to the originals. I interviewed Exidy founder Howell Ivy a few years back and he told me that he personally over saw all of the ports, so I guess that is why they turned out so well!

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:17 am

kiwimike wrote:I voted for Targ. Played this a bit in the arcades, despite its very simple look I just found it hella addictive :)
I only discovered it a few years ago, via the excellent Atari 8-bit port, and it's a really good game, definitely surprised me as, as you say, it looks really simple.
paranoid marvin wrote:Venture is a brilliant game, bit like Berzerk. Used to love playing it on the 2600.
I will never forget how scared my brother used to get playing it, every time the Hallmonster came into the room he would jump out of his skin :lol:

Greyfox

Post by Greyfox » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:22 am

Is this threat for an article in the magazine?
↓↓Click Link to See More
[url=http://www.greyfoxbooks.com[/url]

ianpmarks

Post by ianpmarks » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:33 am

Exidy weren't really very good were they.
I suppose if you played one in the day then you'd have an affection for it,but they don't really stand the test of time. Having just MAME'ed those on the list there are none I'd vote for. They all look a bt 'budget' rip off a like. The K-Tel of the arcade world.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:01 am

ianpmarks wrote:Exidy weren't really very good were they.
I suppose if you played one in the day then you'd have an affection for it,but they don't really stand the test of time. Having just MAME'ed those on the list there are none I'd vote for. They all look a bt 'budget' rip off a like. The K-Tel of the arcade world.
A lot of their games were very original actually, many of them broke new ground and several won awards too. But each to their own.