Are you backing the Spectrum Next

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Will you back the Spectrum Next?

Yes
16%
No
72%
Can't Decide
12%

Total votes: 25

Matt_B

Re: Are you backing the Spectrum Next

Post by Matt_B » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:08 pm

GameOver wrote:For an FPGA solution it's very hard to justify the price when a MiST costs around 20 quid more and implements Spectrum, C64, MSX, ST, Amiga and many other systems
Yeah, the MiST gets you a better class of FPGA - as it's designed for 16-bit systems - but it doesn't come with a custom keyboard and HDMI output which, as I said before, are the items that are pushing up the price of the Spectrum Next. You'd also have to hack your own expansion bus on if you wanted to get any non-trivial hardware working with it.

Also, the Next will support other systems. The ZX81 and Jupiter Ace are both confirmed and FPGA cores for most of the other popular 8-bit machines could be hacked over with a bit of work. Ultimately though, it's designed to be used like a Spectrum with a few modern added conveniences.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:24 am

ianpmarks wrote:I don't even know what FPGA is...
Isn't is a golf association for women? :P

stvd

Post by stvd » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:31 am

No.

ianpmarks

Post by ianpmarks » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:59 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:FPGA is just a chip that can be told to be like another chip - you configure it so the logic gates and stuff are the same as the chip you want it to be. The serious tech heads will try to convince you it isn't emulation, but it is, just emulated by the hardware rather than software. True, emulation usually refers to a translation of instructions from one system to another, but copying the inner workings of a chip is much the same thing imo. It still isnt really a Z80, it's another chip behaving like one.

So, expensive emulation.

That isn't really what the Next is about though. It's more of a 'what if' Spectrum, keeping some of the core elements that make the Speccy interesting, while offering some extra capabilites if you want them. Bit of a niche machine for the hardcore hobbyist, since there's only going to be the odd homebrew game for it. If I was making a Speccy game, I'd want it to run on a real Speccy. Adding support for the extra features might be a little extra, but its not something I'd be putting all my effort into.
Thank you, that makes it a bit clearer.
I agree about games for it though. There will never be many, as you rightly say most homebrewers will want it to run on a real Spectrum.

In the meantime I will keep looking for an affordable SAM Coupe for my expanded Spectrum fun.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:30 am

Swainy wrote:Guys, the Next is not just a Spectrum in a new case. It offers a lot more than what could be achieved on the original hardware. I think that you will be surprised once you see some software & games that have been specially written for the system.
Definitely not something for those of us just after a nostalgia hit then! It does sound very cool though.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords