Are you backing the Spectrum Next

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Will you back the Spectrum Next?

Yes
16%
No
72%
Can't Decide
12%

Total votes: 25

Darran@Retro Gamer

Are you backing the Spectrum Next

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:28 am

It's now on Kickstarter and is doing amazingly well.
Are you planning on buying one? Are you excited about it?

Let us know below.

The Laird

Re: Are you backing the Spectrum Next

Post by The Laird » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:35 am

I saw the live demo of it at Revival last year (Video Here!)

Its looks very cool and everything but I just don't really see the point in these modern versions of old computers. There is zero nostalgia attached and I can do all this on my PC without spending £175.

AceGrace

Post by AceGrace » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:27 am

No. I'll buy it when it is either in the shops or readily available to buy.

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:47 am

Looks like I'm going against the grain but I've backed it. I have a space ready for it in my retro corner, will load the sd card up with as many games as I can and enjoy some of my childhood favourites.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:03 am

The Laird wrote:I saw the live demo of it at Revival last year (Video Here!)

Its looks very cool and everything but I just don't really see the point in these modern versions of old computers. There is zero nostalgia attached and I can do all this on my PC without spending £175.
Much as I love the speccy, I find myself agreeing with Kieren. As soon as you take away the rubber keyboard and genuine thing from back in the day, I might as Well be on my laptop. However, if I ever see one in a shop...
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

ianpmarks

Post by ianpmarks » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:21 am

I also agree with this.
It looks lovely, but I can just fire up Fuse on my Macbook for the same experience.
If you really want an SD card loading system on a Spectrum buy a DivIDE... Now that's a great modern Spectrum peripheral, and you can pick them up for about £50 on eBay

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:25 pm

Same. Seems most are in this camp

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:21 am

AceGrace wrote:No. I'll buy it when it is either in the shops or readily available to buy.
Yeah, same here. I wish it's a huge success; they've already got the money and look good for several of the stretch goals too, and if the finished product delivers the good at a reasonable price, I'll be giving it a good look.

However, I'm feeling a little bit burned with the whole Vega+ shenanigans to put money down on anything at the moment. Obviously I don't want to imply anything about the team behind the Spectrum Next as they've no connection to Retro Computers, but it would seem that even a project with a mostly-working prototype can go pear shaped.
ianpmarks wrote:It looks lovely, but I can just fire up Fuse on my Macbook for the same experience.
That's not quite true. One thing it's got going for it over emulators is that it's an FPGA-based logic-level implementation of the Spectrum that supports cycle-level timing - where software emulators just sync everything to the nearest frame - and a full expansion bus, which would allow you to hook-up original peripherals.

That's going to be mostly lost on the people who view the Spectrum as a pure games machine - and a lot of the common peripherals can be emulated too - but there's a certain market for this that's only been served until now by small production run board-only machines, each with their individual quirks.

ianpmarks

Post by ianpmarks » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:18 am

Matt_B wrote: That's not quite true. One thing it's got going for it over emulators is that it's an FPGA-based logic-level implementation of the Spectrum that supports cycle-level timing - where software emulators just sync everything to the nearest frame - and a full expansion bus, which would allow you to hook-up original peripherals.

That's going to be mostly lost on the people who view the Spectrum as a pure games machine - and a lot of the common peripherals can be emulated too - but there's a certain market for this that's only been served until now by small production run board-only machines, each with their individual quirks.
You're right that's mostly lost on me... i do just use my Spectrum to play games.

I'm not against this machine, it looks gorgeous to be honest, but it just isn't something I'd use. I've got an original Spectrum and DivIDE for my ZX needs, plus emulators for those quick fix needs.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:14 am

I'd like one, but I know it would be just another dust collector, no matter how good it is.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:38 am

As a backer of the Vega Plus, I would have to see the Next in a shop or in stock on a website before parting with 180 quid, just could not back another project like this, when an already promising product has gone so awry, and I probably would not get one of these anyway, until all four of my genuine Spectrums have died.

Swainy

Post by Swainy » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:36 pm

Guys, the Next is not just a Spectrum in a new case. It offers a lot more than what could be achieved on the original hardware. I think that you will be surprised once you see some software & games that have been specially written for the system.
http://retroasylum.com
The UK's No.1 Retro Gaming Podcast

GameOver

Post by GameOver » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:37 pm

For an FPGA solution it's very hard to justify the price when a MiST costs around 20 quid more and implements Spectrum, C64, MSX, ST, Amiga and many other systems

ianpmarks

Post by ianpmarks » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:45 pm

I don't even know what FPGA is... so I'm guessing this isn't the Spectrum I'm looking for.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:50 pm

FPGA is just a chip that can be told to be like another chip - you configure it so the logic gates and stuff are the same as the chip you want it to be. The serious tech heads will try to convince you it isn't emulation, but it is, just emulated by the hardware rather than software. True, emulation usually refers to a translation of instructions from one system to another, but copying the inner workings of a chip is much the same thing imo. It still isnt really a Z80, it's another chip behaving like one.

So, expensive emulation.

That isn't really what the Next is about though. It's more of a 'what if' Spectrum, keeping some of the core elements that make the Speccy interesting, while offering some extra capabilites if you want them. Bit of a niche machine for the hardcore hobbyist, since there's only going to be the odd homebrew game for it. If I was making a Speccy game, I'd want it to run on a real Speccy. Adding support for the extra features might be a little extra, but its not something I'd be putting all my effort into.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.