ps4 or xbox1?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

flatapex

ps4 or xbox1?

Post by flatapex » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:45 pm

Hi all, hoping I can get some recommendations.

Basically I am going to leap into the 21st century, and am looking at one of the above consoles this summer. I initially want to play assetto corsa, rocket league and possibly goat simulator (yes really)

I have compared graphics and I can't see any difference. Which is better and why?

DPrinny

Re: ps4 or xbox1?

Post by DPrinny » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:54 pm

Want Japanese games and indie stuff PS4
Want American games and very little indie stuff XBox1

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:00 pm

Honestly, you will probably really enjoy either one. Both are great.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:14 pm

They're pretty similar machines, really. The base model PS4 does have a slight graphical advantage that allows it to render more games natively in 1080p, where upscaling from 900p or 720p is more common on the XB1, but there's nothing like the clear disparity in performance you'd have experienced in previous console generations. The situation is also likely to be reversed with the PS4 Pro and the Scorpio too, with the latter more likely to be able to offer games in 4K, although with all games still having to run on the base models for now, don't be expecting any huge differences there either.

Realistically, it's mostly going to come down to which one most of your friends have, whose ecosystem you're most invested in from previous generations, and the first party games you're most interested in. If none of those things matter to you, you could probably just go for whichever you can get the better deal on.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:20 pm

DPrinny wrote:Want Japanese games and indie stuff PS4
You really do talk a load of guff.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:24 pm

gman72 wrote:

Classic case of someone who thinks they are funny witty and quirky, but its tou forced and trying to hard and they become predictable and boring. Ironically the exact opposite of the image they are desperate to achieve.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:42 pm

flatapex wrote:Hi all, hoping I can get some recommendations.

Basically I am going to leap into the 21st century, and am looking at one of the above consoles this summer. I initially want to play assetto corsa, rocket league and possibly goat simulator (yes really)

I have compared graphics and I can't see any difference. Which is better and why?
Capability wise there doesn't seem to be too much between them. I personally prefer the Xbox achievement system to the Trophy thing, the PS4 has a cleaner more streamlined user interface. My PS4 - and quite a few of my mates PS4s - seems to go off like a mad hairdryer on certain games and can be very noisy.

Games wise the PS4 has had a good year for exclusives - as all the PlayStation fan boys can't wait to spout to anyone that will listen - but there's a great library of games on both machines and as has been previously mentioned it could boil down to getting what your mates have got so you can play with them online. Xbox Live is a better service than PSN in my opinion with very solid online multi-player.
Both consoles give away free games every month for those that subscribe. On Xbox Live you can keep what you've downloaded from the monthly freebies with PS4 you are only hiring the free games for as long as your subscription lasts - not so good.
Both machines have a big community fan base and game clip sharing etc. is available on both machines and can be entertaining. Both machines have decent pads but that PS4 D-pad is yet to be beaten. It should be said that backwards compatibility is very advanced on the One with many of your fave 360 games being readily available to download or play from disc.

As has been said it may well just boil down to games... do some research on titles and prices. There are a lot of bargains on both machines now.

Bottom line - do some research and make an informed decision. :D
Last edited by gman72 on Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:59 pm

I just own the PS4 as it has the most games that appeal to me, I've played on X Box one but other than Rare Replay, Killer Instinct and Raiden it doesn't have any exclusives that interest me. And this coming from somebody who loved the X Box 360.

My reasoning for choosing the PS4 is its exclusives Nier Automatia my game off the year I've spent 70 hours on it and got platinum -anybody who owns a PS4 needs to play this once in a lifetime game.. Other PS4 exclusives Until Dawn, Horizon Zero Dawn, Aragami(Tenchu for this gen), Valkyria Chronicles HD, God of War series, Last of Us 1 and 2, Uncharted games, Gravity Rush 1 and 2 and Wild Guns Reloaded really re-ignited my love for current gaming. You'd probably like Drive Club I'd say the One has more driving games.

I prefer the One interface and its backwards compatible with 360 games, having to be online to update trophies on PS4 annoys me for some reasons.
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:39 pm

I have both and enjoy both but with xb1 you get any 360 games you own its interface is better on ps4 you get longer dvr ps now and vr both have great exclusives i'd say get either you will enjoy any of the two but i'd say xbox1 has better options of both official and third party pads
This guy are sick

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:15 pm

360! I love my 360 :wink:

Seriously, know people with both, played both. I like both, and despite the technical talk of the guff under the hood, they both look the same to me! I prefer xbox controllers- but that's a personal thing.
Most I know have opted for PS4- and I think that's more to do with good deals with game bundles. If I was looking to upgrade, that would probably decide it for me as both have exclusives I like. And if you're like me, you'll already have a wish list of titles for each system! :lol: And that's a good way to judge, as at the end of the day the initial purchase isn't the big issue, the games are the thing. So what games are you most keen on for each system? And if it's quite even, which system has a better stock of second hand games (if you're into those) or better deals on titles? Because if both systems are close in specs to us gamers, and both have a similar number of titles you want, perhaps the best deal will decide for you. :)

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:47 pm

kiwimike wrote:360! I love my 360 :wink:

Seriously, know people with both, played both. :)
ive had ps4 since 2015 and xb1 since 2016 I love them but do still play ps3 wii and 360(still discoving new games on all 3 too)
This guy are sick

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:42 am

RodimusPrime wrote:
gman72 wrote:

Classic case of someone who thinks they are funny witty and quirky, but its tou forced and trying to hard and they become predictable and boring. Ironically the exact opposite of the image they are desperate to achieve.
When people cant handle others opinions they start acting like monkeys throwing poo, them more join in to

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:49 am

its not your opinions mate, its the sad way you have to try and be funny in every post you make.

Face it, you are nowhere near as funny as you like to think you are.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:09 am

Knowing you love your driving games you should definitely be choosing the Xbox One. There is nothing remotely close to the quality of the Forza series on the PS4, which IMO are some of the finest games ever made.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:21 am

The Laird wrote:Knowing you love your driving games you should definitely be choosing the Xbox One. There is nothing remotely close to the quality of the Forza series on the PS4, which IMO are some of the finest games ever made.

Good call, not only is there Forza 5 and 6 for track racing, but you also have Horizons 2 and 3 as well.