Is there any way to stop the rising cost of retro?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

n-g-m

Re: Is there any way to stop the rising cost of retro?

Post by n-g-m » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:13 pm

Wow - that is a lot of stuff mate! Collected before the price hikes I guess?

Difficult to know what to do. You'd certainly get a pretty penny for it all!

Having said that, there isn't a day that goes by where I wish I hadn't sold up. Not necessarily because of the cost to replace them in today's market, but the fact I just had a lot of really good quality stuff. I've never been one to go for complete collections and just buy a load of filler for the sake of it.

OcarinaOfTam

Post by OcarinaOfTam » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:27 pm

I abhor the insane "Buy it Now" prices that plague this magnificent hobby. However, there are ways to avoid these prices and great games can still be had for bargain prices. I have left a number of tips below.

Tip #1 Do not pay these extortionate prices.
This may seem a bit obvious. The value of an item is purely determined by how much people are willing to pay for it. Every time someone pays one of these sky high prices, it just enables them to carry on doing it. If no one buys them at these prices they will have no option but to lower the prices.

Tip #2 Be patient.
They say patience is a virtue, a statement that is all to true to video game collecting. Sometimes you might see a game you want with an insane price tag and you might be tempted to throw the cash so you can add it to your collection. But trust me, if you are persistent and patient you will see that elusive game at a charity shop or a car boot or maybe on ebay as an actual auction. It may take months, or even years, but your wallet will than you for holding out until the right time.

Tip #3 Choose your systems wisely
I don't have a massive collection of NES, SNES or N64 games. It's not because I don't like those consoles, I really do, I love them. They have loads of great games, Zelda, Mario, Metroid, the list goes on... But the price tags can be pretty insane, which puts me off a bit. It's a completely different story for Sega on the other hand, the Mega Drive and Master System are still really affordable consoles to collect for, and there are a ton of great games that could be yours for less than £10 each complete in box. Other consoles with mostly affordable libraries include the PS2, the Wii, the DS, the Sinclair ZX Spectrum and even the Atari 2600.

Tip #4 Price does not always equate quality
Just because a game is expensive doesn't mean it's great, and just because a game is cheap doesn't mean it's a load of rubbish. Just look at the Action 52 on the NES, a collection of terrible games that will cost you in the region of about £150 - £300; what a rip-off! On the other hand there are some all-time classics that can be yours for less than a fiver each, such as Sonic 2 on the Mega Drive.

Tip #5 Import from Japan
This probably won't help much for text-heavy RPGs, unless of course, you know Japanese. But for many genres of retro gaming such as platformers, fighting games and shmups, the language barrier is not so much of a big problem. Retro games seem to generally be a lot cheaper in Japan, and even with shipping included, there are many bargains to be had. Also, Japanese games usually have nicer manuals with lots of full-colour artwork, which is a plus.

I hope these tips help :)

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:53 pm

OcarinaOfTam wrote: Tip #5 Import from Japan
This probably won't help much for text-heavy RPGs, unless of course, you know Japanese. But for many genres of retro gaming such as platformers, fighting games and shmups, the language barrier is not so much of a big problem. Retro games seem to generally be a lot cheaper in Japan, and even with shipping included, there are many bargains to be had. Also, Japanese games usually have nicer manuals with lots of full-colour artwork, which is a plus.
The Google translate will help with some of that

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:20 pm

Some good tips there.

I don't really collect as such anymore, partly silly prices but mainly lack of space to store or display. I think my only real regret was the N64 collection, wish I'd held onto that.

Now and again I'll pick up another system for a while, to have a bit of fun playing classics, but not to collect for and certainly nothing that goes for nutty prices.

When I got rid of a lot of my collection, I donated to a tech/game museum. I can understand if someone has a system worth a fortune now and is on a budget- a lump sum could make a difference to a family. But if not-and my stuff was fairly common, it wouldn't make me a millionaire...if you're culling the collection a bit, for the space or to keep the missus happy- donating to a game museum is a feel good way to do it. It's quite nice if you see your old system being utilised in a open games day- Dads bringing their kids in to see the games 'back in their day' :)

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:24 pm

Like me Ace don't know where to put everything had a Colecovision and Tomy King Man get fried after storing in the attic(got damp) Top of my head

I have a boxed Vectrex 7 boxed games with overlays and everdrive
Colecovision with 30 games
3 x Commodore 64's
2 x C16 one working boxed recapped 1 knackered and a working recapped Plus 4
Megadrive Jap with Everdrive
Super Famicom with Everdrive
Famicom with Everdrive about 70 Famicom games and Maniac Mansion my only pal game
Wii X 2 one boxed
Wii U
Philips cdi recapped working battery so saves games could murder someone with this it's so heavy
PS2
PS4
PS Vita
DS Lite
Animal Crossing3DS
Super Gameboy jap lot of rare and boxed Gameboy games
Sakura Dreamcast
As well as tons of games I don't own consoles for as well as arcade pcbs of Cadillac and Dinosaurs and Rodlands(pig go store)
Also have a X box that is used for emulation other than Mame the emulation is poor.

The only good emulation is the Wii Colecovision emulator and Virtual arcade starblade and Shadow Warriors. I keep telling myself I should sell the Colecovision as it's RF and the controllers are awful - but I can't bring myself to part with it. Half my Colecovision games like Fathom,-Super Cobra & Burgertime I never see on EBay and Atari Age classes them as rare.

I just feel I will regret selling it as both games and working consoles will get more expensive, as most other gaming forums refuse to use emulators or buy repro carts. This is the only forum where people seem to prefer badly emulated Megadrive & Snes games on tablets with horrid controllers.

All the previously expensive 360 and PS3 games are now selling for peanuts so I just have to buy them as they're for about £1 or £2.
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:22 am

Shinobi wrote: Also have a X box that is used for emulation other than Mame the emulation is poor.

The only good emulation is the Wii Colecovision emulator

I just feel I will regret selling it as both games and working consoles will get more expensive, as most other gaming forums refuse to use emulators or buy repro carts. This is the only forum where people seem to prefer badly emulated Megadrive & Snes games on tablets with horrid controllers.
You had previously been positively glowing towards Xbox (original) emulation, including playing PS1 games on it (yuck! the emulation STINKS for the majority of PS1 games!) Even MAME emulation on Xbox is no guarantee of quality or consistency, and often uses frameskipping (and glitches, even on coinops). Its not bad, but its limited and certainly not for perfectionists.

Any half decent tablet released over the past few years with bluetooth connectivity, and you can pair it with a wii classic controller or PS3 controller, and it runs 16 bit titles pretty decently. Far better than the Xbox could ever hope to do with its ancient pentium 3 CPU.

The Wii also has a pretty decent and well supported/updated SNES9X emulator, a vast improvement if you're used to SNES emulation on Xbox (as the xbox SNES emulator uses the very poor, inaccurate and unsupported ZSNES emu).

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:07 am

Shinobi wrote:Like me Ace don't know where to put everything
I do chuckle, but then again, maybe my place is a little larger than some people? When you have the following (pretty much all boxed and complete): 1500+ C64 titles (and Japanese C64, MAX, SX64 computers), 500+ Vic20 titles, full NGPC sets, full Vectrex sets (and every single homebrew ever), 70-80 SNES games, 50-60 N64 games, 70+ DS games, 80+ Gameboy titles (across the formats), full 7800 sets, 2600 homebrew, tons of Club Nintendo promotional stuff... and I used to have N64DD, Jaguar stuff, Nuon, a full Gamecube set before I sold 80% of it, Cube prototypes and NR Reader, and more... yeah, it was a bit of a squeeze!
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

AceGrace

Post by AceGrace » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:31 am

n-g-m wrote:Wow - that is a lot of stuff mate! Collected before the price hikes I guess?

Difficult to know what to do. You'd certainly get a pretty penny for it all!

Having said that, there isn't a day that goes by where I wish I hadn't sold up. Not necessarily because of the cost to replace them in today's market, but the fact I just had a lot of really good quality stuff. I've never been one to go for complete collections and just buy a load of filler for the sake of it.
There is more that I haven't mentioned!!!!

Pretty sure I might regret getting rid of it all. The PS2 SNK compilations for example would be difficult to find again (Sengoku Trilogy) for example.

The problem with having so much stuff is that when I go to car boots etc.. I rarely find anything that I don't already have.

To clarify, there are a lot of systems I don't have and am not really interested in (NES) for example. Most of the stuff I have I did own years ago, when new but sold it all to get the latest and greatest.

And yes, most of the stuff was acquired before "retro" became a thing.

Grizzly

Post by Grizzly » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:35 am

The only solution is to stop buying the games at what people want for them. Lets face it, people wouldn't put the prices so high if people weren't paying it.
I write for...
Check us out for news, reviews and features on the blackest of consoles.Image

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:41 am

Yep, stop paying stupid money.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

Analog

Post by Analog » Fri May 05, 2017 3:04 pm

ebay is really killing this hobby, people on there are basically dictating the whole market.. if they feel like pricing a game which is terrible and incredibly common as expensive and "rare" then people follow and treat it as gospel. auction sites are the new religion!.. its crazy and it affects a lot of other areas, I am seeing the repercussions of unnecessary price hikes in charity shops and other places. the sellers there tell me they have "done their research" and checked prices on ebay.. then decided to sell them to the public according to what ebay dictates, they know jack censored about retro game collecting, they just price according to what they see is trending.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri May 05, 2017 8:38 pm

Well, I had a look for some game and watches last week, just to watch some auctions to see what they go for.

When things I was buying at op shops and garage sales for local currency of anywhere between $5 to $15 are going for $100 in censored condition, or good to boxed for $200+ and beyond...it just isn't fun anymore.

Re-release could help. Rare CDs drop dramatically when a reissue comes out with bonus tracks etc. There is a real market for decent flashbacks, of fair quality and price with built in games. It won't solve all the problems but will help.
I also believe there is an untapped market for Nintendo, Bandai, Casio, Coleco etc (and whoever has the licences) by produce a monthly mag & handheld game thing to subscribe to. Perhaps it's unrealistic, I just think if they did some marketing on it they'd find a lot of interest in say subscribing to collecting the Game and Watch library, each with it's own little colour mag with design work, boxart, sales stats etc. And maybe not 'first edition' , but it'd be wonderful to have a mint in box example of each that hasn't spent years thrown in a schoolbag or toybox :)

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Sun May 07, 2017 4:37 am

I had a decent SNES collection but sold it all about 5 years ago- haven't missed it. Selling the remnant of my PS2 collection as I just don't use it. I rearely have free time nowadays, and when I do I don't always feel like playing games.

I find it very liberating to get rid of all the stuff I've surrounded myself with that I don't have use for. I also like emulation- it means less physical stuff knocking about in the house but the games are there if I want them.

I saw this in Cex yesterday. Seems relevant;
Attachments
IMG_0886.JPG
Cex n64
IMG_0886.JPG (2.06 MiB) Viewed 164 times

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sun May 07, 2017 6:04 am

My local CEX has loads of retro stuff now, but I couldn't believe some of the prices. A very yellowed SNES, with no games or anything, on its own for £85 :shock:

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Sun May 07, 2017 8:34 am

I do my retro shopping at my local indie. Prices are lower than Ebay, they guy who runs it is friendly, and I can actually browse the products.
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb