Is there any way to stop the rising cost of retro?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

User avatar
Sephiroth81
Posts: 4579
Joined: Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:35 am

Re: Is there any way to stop the rising cost of retro?

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:39 am

DPrinny wrote:
Bollocks to emulation, it will never be perfect
Hmmm, what about official emulators like on PSN, XBL and most notably Virtual Console? I think on a decent powered system, combined with an advanced and well developed emulator (usually 16 bit era and prior), then emulation can be nigh-on perfect for the absolute vast majority of games.

Although I have noted that F-Zero X (n64) even officially emulated on the Wii's Virtual Console does glitch and slow down at times (that never occurred on the original) Looks quite nice though upscaled to 480p. Perhaps its improved on the Wii U now at this stage, having a much more powerful host system...

User avatar
DPrinny
Posts: 24668
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Super Mancyland

Re: Is there any way to stop the rising cost of retro?

Post by DPrinny » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:39 am

Sephiroth81 wrote:
DPrinny wrote:
Bollocks to emulation, it will never be perfect
Hmmm, what about official emulators like on PSN, XBL and most notably Virtual Console? I think on a decent powered system, combined with an advanced and well developed emulator (usually 16 bit era and prior), then emulation can be nigh-on perfect for the absolute vast majority of games.

Although I have noted that F-Zero X (n64) even officially emulated on the Wii's Virtual Console does glitch and slow down at times (that never occurred on the original) Looks quite nice though upscaled to 480p. Perhaps its improved on the Wii U now at this stage, having a much more powerful host system...
theirs probably a full on blog/forum post on some site somewhere that goes into almost insane detail on why official emulators are pants, usually it has to do with slowdown and glitches

N64 is ment to be the hardest machine to emulate
The problem is a lot of people that make hacks of N64 games only make them for emulators, whats the bloody point of making a ROM hack that wont run on original hardware?


Are there any decent Jaguar ones knocking about?

User avatar
Sephiroth81
Posts: 4579
Joined: Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:35 am

Re: Is there any way to stop the rising cost of retro?

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:20 am

DPrinny wrote: theirs probably a full on blog/forum post on some site somewhere that goes into almost insane detail on why official emulators are pants, usually it has to do with slowdown and glitches

N64 is ment to be the hardest machine to emulate
The problem is a lot of people that make hacks of N64 games only make them for emulators, whats the bloody point of making a ROM hack that wont run on original hardware?


Are there any decent Jaguar ones knocking about?
Yeah many emulators (including official) are clearly not 100% accurate, even on reasonably powerful host hardware. I think the bsnes/higan one emulating the Super Nintendo/SFC is mean't to be 100% compatible and most crucially accurate, and requires a fairly powerful CPU to achieve it (so absolutely no chance of 100% cycle exact accuracy on a Wii or original Xbox). Its only available on PC's though from what I gather. I tend to just use SNES9X and its various console/android ports as it is pretty competent (and I steer clear from the very old and inaccurate ZSNES).

N64 emulation does appear to be really challenging, so the Everdrive 64 was the first flashcart I ever got, as it makes perfect sense. The other cartridge everdrives are not so compelling as emulation is pretty decent for 16 bit machines and prior (and can be run more than acceptably on lower spec host consoles). I do have an Everdrive GB, but lets face it, even a Nintendo DS with its puny 60mhz ARM processor can emulate original GB games very proficiently (although i've noted some glitches on GBC games on DS!)

As for the Jaguar, i've used Virtual Jaguar on PC with mixed results, on a reasonably powerful i7 laptop. Seems a but unoptimised, as I guess the desire to play Jag games isn't that high, plus it may be a bit of a complex system to emulate. Maybe our resident Atari man Laird can suggest some! :D

User avatar
Megamixer
Posts: 14953
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:18 am
Location: Staffs, UK

Re: Is there any way to stop the rising cost of retro?

Post by Megamixer » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:45 am

Can they just sort Saturn emulation out properly and get the games up PSN, XBLA etc. It's all I want!
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

User avatar
DPrinny
Posts: 24668
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Super Mancyland

Re: Is there any way to stop the rising cost of retro?

Post by DPrinny » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:54 am

Megamixer wrote:Can they just sort Saturn emulation out properly and get the games up PSN, XBLA etc. It's all I want!
Its ment to be mostly ok now, theres something about missing source codes for a lot of Saturn games

Thats what happens when you let the work exeprence lad keep an eye on them

User avatar
Megamixer
Posts: 14953
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:18 am
Location: Staffs, UK

Re: Is there any way to stop the rising cost of retro?

Post by Megamixer » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:55 am

DPrinny wrote:
Megamixer wrote:Can they just sort Saturn emulation out properly and get the games up PSN, XBLA etc. It's all I want!
Its ment to be mostly ok now, theres something about missing source codes for a lot of Saturn games

Thats what happens when you let the work exeprence lad keep an eye on them
I want to play PDS most of all but I'm sure that was one of the games they lost the code for wasn't it?
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

User avatar
DPrinny
Posts: 24668
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Super Mancyland

Re: Is there any way to stop the rising cost of retro?

Post by DPrinny » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:17 am

Megamixer wrote:
DPrinny wrote:
Megamixer wrote:Can they just sort Saturn emulation out properly and get the games up PSN, XBLA etc. It's all I want!
Its ment to be mostly ok now, theres something about missing source codes for a lot of Saturn games

Thats what happens when you let the work exeprence lad keep an eye on them
I want to play PDS most of all but I'm sure that was one of the games they lost the code for wasn't it?
https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/198258- ... a/50653668

Apparently you can emulate that one

The annoying one is House of the dead, all that gets ported is the s**te Saturn version

Imagine the amount of elation if someone finds these source codes

Or if Sega let fans try to port them with upgrades (like actually having the end of PDS ACTUALLY HAPPEN!!) but no, they wont

User avatar
Sephiroth81
Posts: 4579
Joined: Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:35 am

Re: Is there any way to stop the rising cost of retro?

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:26 am

DPrinny wrote: https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/198258- ... a/50653668

Apparently you can emulate that one

The annoying one is House of the dead, all that gets ported is the s**te Saturn version

Imagine the amount of elation if someone finds these source codes

Or if Sega let fans try to port them with upgrades (like actually having the end of PDS ACTUALLY HAPPEN!!) but no, they wont
The Saturn port of House of the Dead just looks a bit rubbish, but plays perfectly fine. I think the sequel is better anyway (and has a decent port to DC) but I've not played the original arcade HOTD for a long time.

As for Saturn emulation, yea, its another iffy one with mixed results. I heard a while back that a device for the saturn was made to store and run ISOs on to SD cards although hadn't gone into production yet, but worked. The other way of course to play PDS (without compromise of emulation glitches) is to burn the ISO files to 4 CD-Rs and a flashed Action Replay Cartridge in the memory slot. Or just pay £250+ on ebay, play it "officially", then resell it on ebay for hopefully the same or more once you've finished it.

User avatar
aztecca
Posts: 5216
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:18 pm
Location: http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Re: Is there any way to stop the rising cost of retro?

Post by aztecca » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:44 am

Re:censored saturn house of dwad port.Im sure that the xbox version had unlockable versions of hotd and hotd 2 coinop versions I may be wrong though.
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

User avatar
DPrinny
Posts: 24668
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Super Mancyland

Re: Is there any way to stop the rising cost of retro?

Post by DPrinny » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:51 am

Sephiroth81 wrote: The Saturn port of House of the Dead just looks a bit rubbish, but plays perfectly fine. I think the sequel is better anyway (and has a decent port to DC) but I've not played the original arcade HOTD for a long time.

As for Saturn emulation, yea, its another iffy one with mixed results. I heard a while back that a device for the saturn was made to store and run ISOs on to SD cards although hadn't gone into production yet, but worked. The other way of course to play PDS (without compromise of emulation glitches) is to burn the ISO files to 4 CD-Rs and a flashed Action Replay Cartridge in the memory slot. Or just pay £250+ on ebay, play it "officially", then resell it on ebay for hopefully the same or more once you've finished it.
Slowdown, loading times, MID LEVEL LOADING TIMES!

This is what you mean
http://ppcenter.webou.net/pskai/
Been meaning to flash an Action replay as I have the means to do so, but I cant be bothered

You can get mod chips for it (still)

User avatar
Sephiroth81
Posts: 4579
Joined: Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:35 am

Re: Is there any way to stop the rising cost of retro?

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:18 pm

aztecca wrote:Re:censored saturn house of dwad port.Im sure that the xbox version had unlockable versions of hotd and hotd 2 coinop versions I may be wrong though.
I don't think it did but would be nice to hear if anyone can confirm! The Wii had Hotd 2/3 on one disc, but think HOTD 3 on Xbox was just the one game.
DPrinny wrote:
Slowdown, loading times, MID LEVEL LOADING TIMES!
Ah, fair enough, re HOTD Saturn - was a bit grizzly to look at, I admit. Its visually disappointing, especially given what was achieved with earlier lightgun games on the Saturn, but it was rushed. Still was quite good fun, but yea, would be nice to have the original arcade version re-released on Xbox Live/PSN etc.
Last edited by Sephiroth81 on Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
DPrinny
Posts: 24668
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Super Mancyland

Re: Is there any way to stop the rising cost of retro?

Post by DPrinny » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:21 pm

Only the 2nd one it seems

Panzer Dragoon Orta you could unlock Panzer Dragoon

User avatar
Megamixer
Posts: 14953
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:18 am
Location: Staffs, UK

Re: Is there any way to stop the rising cost of retro?

Post by Megamixer » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:05 pm

I may be wrong but I think Saturn games that were unlockables on later games were the PC editions which were just ports of ports.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

VirtuaMuser
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:45 pm

Re: Is there any way to stop the rising cost of retro?

Post by VirtuaMuser » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:45 am

Megamixer wrote:I may be wrong but I think Saturn games that were unlockables on later games were the PC editions which were just ports of ports.
You're correct, MegaMixer.

Same with DC re-releases sadly... based on PC ports.

AceGrace
Posts: 1365
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:51 pm
Location: West Sussex
Contact:

Re: Is there any way to stop the rising cost of retro?

Post by AceGrace » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:32 am

I agree that emulation is the way forward.

I have an attic and a bedroom (under the bed) full of computers, consoles and games I will never probably never play before I die!

I have a GPD XD, GPD Win, M.O.J.O, Shield TV plus Alienware PC that are all very capable of emulation.

I keep thinking that I should sell all the physical stuff.

The trouble is, I don't know what to get rid of.

For example.

I spent a couple of years collecting all the best C64 games. I have 3 machines/

I have all spectrum models with loads of games.

These two above I owned when I was in my teens so have a real emotional tie to them.

A BBC Micro B and a Master with loads of decent games.

I have a very good 3DO collection with 3 machines.

I have a Neo Geo AES with 21 games and a Neo Geo CD with about 50 games.

5 PS1's with loads of really good games.

A PS2 with the the very best games including all SNK compilations, all JRPS including all .Hack games, and all the Disgaea etc.. games.

An Xbox (original) with the very best exclusives.

A gamecube with superb games.

A Wii with tons of decent games

A PS3 collection that is utterly superb.

a 360 collection of games that were not on PS3.

An Amiga 1200 with CF card and accelerator

A CD32.

Dreamcast.

Saturn

N64 collection bought when everything was new so all boxed.

I don't think I could part with any of those.

Things I could possibly part with.

3 Amstrad CPC's (2 464's and a 6128) with a couple of tubs of games.

5 Atari ST's and a Mega ST.

Atari Jaguar with CD add on (possibly).

Turbo Grafx with PCEngine converter.

The trouble is, the stuff I may want to get rid of doesn't really make a dent.

If you put a gun to my head of what stuff I had to keep it would be

Spectrum, C64, Neo Geo AES, Neo Geo CD, 3DO, PS3/360, PS2, Amiga 1200 and probably all the Android boxes.

No to mention the Wii U, PS4, Xbox One and Switch.

(Note, This is probably only scratching the surface).

I don't know why but this causes me considerable stress.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests