Is there any way to stop the rising cost of retro?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

n-g-m

Is there any way to stop the rising cost of retro?

Post by n-g-m » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:24 am

I know this has probably been discussed many times before and on many different websites, but nothing seems to be stopping prices going higher and higher.
This thread doesn't necessarily apply to the truly rare and highly sought after titles that will always at least hold value, but more to the everyday common titles that are always easily sourced from a variety of sites or shops.
Take for instance the SNES. Games such as Zelda, Metroid and the Mario's are very common and there is always plenty available. In 2010(ish) you could pick up any of these titles for £10 or less fairly easily. Now Zelda and Metroid go for £40+ just carts. I know they are brilliant games but I just don't get why they keep on rising. Who is actually buying them at these prices? I seriously doubt it will be the serious collector. It is also pretty expensive for the gamer that has a casual interest in retro.
It has been discussed many times that our hobby is in serious jeopardy because of the cost. It seems like you either have to have a £100k a year job or extremely rich parents (if you are younger) to have enough spare cash to fund collecting these games today. But what is the cut-off point? When does it just get too expensive that no-one in their right mind will buy them?
My only suggestion to answer my original question is for the bulk of the gaming world to boycott buying. However, I doubt that would ever happen unless there was a worldwide petition of some kind on sites such as these and social media.
What are other people's thoughts?
People like the infamous "Spence" started this. Hoovering up titles and trying to dictate the price. Nowadays though you get 0 feedback sellers on Ebay charging stupid BINs because they see prices like his. I'm pretty sure if this carries on though one day the likes of Spence will regret it because although they may have all these so-called rare and valuable titles, no-one will be able to afford them and he will be left with over-priced unsellable goods - unless he actually considers dropping his prices (which we all know will never happen)!

DPrinny

Re: Is there any way to stop the rising cost of retro?

Post by DPrinny » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:53 am

Dont pay the prices?

If you want to play it other means exist and they are almost exactly the same, well flash carts are, only difference is you dont have to change carts

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:07 am

Maybe at some point the likes of Nintendo will realise that there is a whole pile of cash to be earned from re-releasing classic carts in their original packaged conditions. Then prices may reduce.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:12 am

paranoid marvin wrote:Maybe at some point the likes of Nintendo will realise that there is a whole pile of cash to be earned from re-releasing classic carts in their original packaged conditions. Then prices may reduce.
Maybe if they made a smaller version of a console and have said games on it

gunbladelad

Post by gunbladelad » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:39 pm

You mean the very ones they're discontinuing...?
Where logic won't work, I will

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:26 pm

gunbladelad wrote:You mean the very ones they're discontinuing...?

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:03 pm

DPrinny wrote:
paranoid marvin wrote:Maybe at some point the likes of Nintendo will realise that there is a whole pile of cash to be earned from re-releasing classic carts in their original packaged conditions. Then prices may reduce.

But there are lots of people who prize the box above the game and collectors seem to have bigger wallets than players!
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:42 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:
DPrinny wrote:

But there are lots of people who prize the box above the game and collectors seem to have bigger wallets than players!
Never rest a box on a game, its a stupid ting to do

At least its not as bad as sealed game collectors,

Basically people with more money than sense

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:57 pm

I'd pin the blame on shelves. If people didn't have them, and the uncontrollable urge to pile cardboard and plastic boxes that they'll probably never open on them, all retro games would be dirt cheap.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:46 am

Matt_B wrote:I'd pin the blame on shelves. If people didn't have them, and the uncontrollable urge to pile cardboard and plastic boxes that they'll probably never open on them, all retro games would be dirt cheap.
Give it a few years, when these hoarding collectors start to die the prices will tank

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:50 am

It is sad. I have mentioned many times I used to enjoy finding G&Ws in op shops for a few bucks. Now I can get almost any G&W I want online...if I'm prepared to pay the three figured asking costs.

Some have suggested that retro consoles etc are the antiques of the future- and to a degree I accept that premise. But the passion of retro gamers has also fuelled the greed in opportunists who have the theory that these fans will pay whatever the asking cost- Case in point the Recent Mini NES. We also see that in the numerous retro machines kickstarted in recent times, or things like the Neo Geo X. Because of the passion of fans for retro games, these things have a retail/asking cost way higher than they should. Cheap made products with a premium price tag. And because of this I have no qualms in buying cheap knockoffs from the likes of Ali express.

Things are worth what people are prepared to pay. I'm not prepared to pay it, neither are many here. But many others are.

I think flashback type products are a great way to go. That said, are consumers that buy flashbacks the sort that will buy original consoles anyway...or just emulate?

Looking through the pages on ebay at retro gear, some of the asking prices are insane.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:51 am

DPrinny wrote:
gunbladelad wrote:You mean the very ones they're discontinuing...?

Nicely put :lol:

sscott

Post by sscott » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:59 am

Car boot sales used to be great 10 years ago and then everyone got savvy to ebay.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:29 pm

DPrinny wrote: At least its not as bad as sealed game collectors,

Basically people with more money than sense
Worse are people who stockpile multiple sealed copies of LE's etc. Absolutely pointless and just stops others from getting hold of the game(s) and enjoying them (or the contents of an LE). Those who do this to intentionally increase the value of their own collection are a toxic, greedy blight on the retro gaming scene.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:34 pm

It just seems to be the case nowadays. Things are getting rarer and as such, they are getting more expensive. I can't see any solution in sight.