Rally De Africa + Rally De Europe on playstation 1

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Post Reply
User avatar
RodimusPrime
Posts: 4141
Joined: Sat May 25, 2013 12:16 pm

Rally De Africa + Rally De Europe on playstation 1

Post by RodimusPrime » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:28 am

love these 2 games and still play them on a regular basis.

Japan only ( I think ) and basically as close as a rip of to sega rally as you can get. The controls handle just like Sega rally and the first game ( Africa ) even has a course exactly like the original desert course on Sega rally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57NlHBS ... fkrLC0QGFf

Has more courses and a lot more cars than sega rally and is well worth picking up for Sega rally fans.

User avatar
Analog
Posts: 749
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:28 pm

Re: Rally De Africa + Rally De Europe on playstation 1

Post by Analog » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:38 am

this is one I need to check out, cheers for mentioning :)

Gigifusc
Posts: 538
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:02 pm

Re: Rally De Africa + Rally De Europe on playstation 1

Post by Gigifusc » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:50 am

You guys might like a racer I worked on many years ago.

Quite similar in nature to Rally De Africa but a little more fantastical. Wasn't a AAA game so is a bit rough around the edges (crash physics weren't great) but is a pretty decent mid priced PS2 arcade racer I think.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... ySqQA-C-I6

:)

User avatar
batman877
Posts: 1601
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:53 am
Location: Derbyshire

Re: Rally De Africa + Rally De Europe on playstation 1

Post by batman877 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:34 am

Gigifusc wrote:You guys might like a racer I worked on many years ago... https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... ySqQA-C-I6
I've got 'Ford Off Road Racing' for the PS2 and Wii - it's quite fun a short time, but the motion controls on the Wii version feel broken.

Nice to hear from programmers on the forum though!! :D

'Rally De Africa' on the PS1 looks great, shame it's Japan only!
Image

User avatar
Sephiroth81
Posts: 4592
Joined: Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:35 am

Re: Rally De Africa + Rally De Europe on playstation 1

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:41 am

RodimusPrime wrote:love these 2 games and still play them on a regular basis.

Japan only ( I think ) and basically as close as a rip of to sega rally as you can get. The controls handle just like Sega rally and the first game ( Africa ) even has a course exactly like the original desert course on Sega rally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57NlHBS ... fkrLC0QGFf

Has more courses and a lot more cars than sega rally and is well worth picking up for Sega rally fans.
It does look quite cool and clearly influenced by Sega Rally. Cheers for the recommendation! Looks like you can obtain the pair on ebay for around £25....i'll be doing the cheapskate thing and just downloading the eboots and playing it on PSP....

User avatar
RodimusPrime
Posts: 4141
Joined: Sat May 25, 2013 12:16 pm

Re: Rally De Africa + Rally De Europe on playstation 1

Post by RodimusPrime » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:53 am

I have a real thing for old school arcade racers.

Sega rally and ridge racer kicked it all off for me along with Screamer on the PC. At the time the value was questionable due to these games only having a handful of tracks and cars, but now I find I really enjoy them ans are perfect for quick blasts trying to unlock the extra stuff and beating times. Have been recently playing on the PS1 again and enjoying them all over again.

Also been playing Burning Road

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qs0PFF5osek

The superb Ray Tracers which might as well have been called Chase HQ 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sKtKb-zYu4

Side by Side special 2000

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyM1yoKEfHA

User avatar
Sephiroth81
Posts: 4592
Joined: Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:35 am

Re: Rally De Africa + Rally De Europe on playstation 1

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:03 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:
Also been playing Burning Road

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qs0PFF5osek
Ahh yes! Burning Road. I used to own that game back in the 1990s! It was kind of like the Playstations answer to Daytona. Wasn't too bad, a bit wacky, but fluid and colourful.

I agree, the 1990s arcade style racer with just a handful of tracks and cars are fondly remembered. I guess it peaked with Outrun 2 (although that obviously came a bit later on consoles).

Gigifusc
Posts: 538
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:02 pm

Re: Rally De Africa + Rally De Europe on playstation 1

Post by Gigifusc » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:04 am

batman877 wrote:
Gigifusc wrote:You guys might like a racer I worked on many years ago... https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... ySqQA-C-I6
I've got 'Ford Off Road Racing' for the PS2 and Wii - it's quite fun a short time, but the motion controls on the Wii version feel broken.

Nice to hear from programmers on the forum though!! :D

'Rally De Africa' on the PS1 looks great, shame it's Japan only!
The mid and later tracks were better than the initial desert ones I think.

The Wii version was done very late on. I don't remember any problems with the controls though, so that's interesting??

I was the lead designer on it btw. Not clever enough to be a coder. :)

User avatar
Negative Creep
Posts: 3842
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:59 am
Location: Rochester, Kent

Re: Rally De Africa + Rally De Europe on playstation 1

Post by Negative Creep » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:35 am

Total Drivin was a favourite of mine, with a big variety of cars and tracks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDZBL1dj9rg
Image

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests