LiquidSky - Cloud-based streaming PC gaming platform

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

outdated_gamer

LiquidSky - Cloud-based streaming PC gaming platform

Post by outdated_gamer » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:51 pm

Looks like the idea behind OnLive didn't quite die off - new cloud based platform, LiquidSky:

https://liquidsky.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMkOKBKrQbM

Haven't tried it myself yet (I don't have to tbh) but seems like the idea of a streaming platform will keep being tackled.

As always, the problem will be connection speeds and input lag, and to be fair I don't think it will really take off, but there's always a small chance that it could.

If anyone tried it out, feel free to share thoughts.

markopoloman

Re: LiquidSky - Cloud-based streaming PC gaming platform

Post by markopoloman » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:32 pm

I'd love to give it a go on the highest settings to see what it was really like... BUT no.
If it works well, then it could be a great way to play games on their highest settings with a hefty upgrade.?
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

killbot

Post by killbot » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:25 am

I for one thought OnLive worked really well, letting me play brand new AAA games on my old second hand PC without an upgrade. The concept was genius but there's a huge problem - if the company folds and the servers are turned off, you lose the games you paid hundreds for. This seems to be going with more of a subscription model which somewhat negates that but I'd still be wary.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:36 am

markopoloman wrote:I'd love to give it a go on the highest settings to see what it was really like... BUT no.
If it works well, then it could be a great way to play games on their highest settings with a hefty upgrade.?
I guess, but seems that will be reserved for the "elite" subscription model. Also some quality will probably get lost unless you have a really good connection speed.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:40 am

killbot wrote:I for one thought OnLive worked really well, letting me play brand new AAA games on my old second hand PC without an upgrade. The concept was genius but there's a huge problem - if the company folds and the servers are turned off, you lose the games you paid hundreds for. This seems to be going with more of a subscription model which somewhat negates that but I'd still be wary.
Personally, I prefer to own the hardware than to be dependant from some service, however I do think some cloud-powered stuff would be nice in multiplayer-focused titles for things that would otherwise overload a normal system, for example having lots of dynamic AIs on a large map at the same time or advanced physics and terrain deformations outside of player's view. For these things, a normal CPU might not quite cut it but a high powered server or server network could help here a lot. But as said this is more in regards to MMOs and such, i.e. perma online games.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:53 pm

Yeah, to get a good service out of this you'd need single figure ping times to their servers and the sort of download speeds that you'd require for 4K Netflix. That combination is a lot more common than it used to be, but even then you're not going to get anything like the experience you can have when streaming between machines in the same house.