Poor sequels

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

the_hawk

Re: Poor sequels

Post by the_hawk » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:00 pm

Some great examples here, Renegade 3, Bomb Jack 2, Spyro Enter the Dragonfly & i would agree that Chuckie Egg 2 was pretty disappointing.

I'd throw Football Manager 3 in as well, everything that made the first two so addictive was completely absent.

Also Jet Set Willy 2, what, a handful of extra rooms? Big whoop.

I know there's been a lot of duff Sonic games over the years, but Sonic 4 part 1 was a massive let down. The world was ready of a big 2d Sonic comeback & they completely fluffed it.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:35 pm

the_hawk wrote:Also Jet Set Willy 2, what, a handful of extra rooms? Big whoop.
That was basically just the Amstrad CPC version of JSW ported back to the Spectrum and released as a sequel. It was pretty cheap from a marketing perspective, but I'd struggle to call it a bad game when it's better than the original in pretty much every way that it's different.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:44 pm

Treguard wrote: Bomberman Act Zero. Because what the world really needed was a gritty 3D Bomberman game.
I thought they just wanted to reboot the original... :wink:

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:19 pm

Treguard wrote:GTA: San Andreas. WHY AM I SPENDING MY TIME TAKING MY CHARACTER TO GET HIS HAIR CUT AND MAKING SURE HE DOESN'T SKIP LEG DAY?
I've always felt this game was over-rated. I had a lot more fun with Vice City and I don't particularly like the RPG elements they put into SA. Vice City and GTA V are the ones I enjoy the most. Can't really call SA one of the worst sequels ever though because Rockstar did everything right in terms of improving the depth of GTA, it just wasn't in a way I particularly cared for.

My nomination is Lemmings 2: the Tribes - insanely hard and complicated gameplay that obliterated everything that made the first game so special.

LAIS

Post by LAIS » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:21 am

Sonic 3D - I was massively excited to play this. I shouldn't have been. It was absolutely abysmal, and a fitting start to Sonic's disappointing relationship with 3D gaming.

Soul Calibur 3 - I really enjoyed Soul Calibur 2 and devoted hours of time to it. This game didn't mesh with me.

Final Fantasy XIII - Unlucky 13 indeed. This game was so bad it killed my entire enthusiasm for the franchise.

James Pond in the Deathly Shallows - Disappointingly bad. Sad to see a franchise I loved so much so badly handled.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:11 pm

Virtua Athlete 2K - took practically everything that made Athlete Kings such a joy and threw it in the bin. Customisation? Big whoop when I can't create anything with a billionth of the personality and charm of AK's rogues' gallery. No style, no colour, no character and worst of all you can't even do a proper decathlon - there's only seven events!

sscott

Post by sscott » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:07 pm

Does Jet Set Willy 2 count as a sequel? Cynical cash in at the very least!

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:37 pm

English Invader wrote:
Treguard wrote:GTA: San Andreas. WHY AM I SPENDING MY TIME TAKING MY CHARACTER TO GET HIS HAIR CUT AND MAKING SURE HE DOESN'T SKIP LEG DAY?
I've always felt this game was over-rated. I had a lot more fun with Vice City and I don't particularly like the RPG elements they put into SA. Vice City and GTA V are the ones I enjoy the most. Can't really call SA one of the worst sequels ever though because Rockstar did everything right in terms of improving the depth of GTA, it just wasn't in a way I particularly cared for.
I love the setting of Vice City but it's hard to go back to now with the completely flat landscape and limited stuff to do. I also couldn't be bothered with all the stat-building stuff in San Andreas but the scale of the map and the variety of terrain (countryside, mountains, San Francisco-style hills etc.) were so much fun at the time.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:59 pm

Matt_B wrote:
the_hawk wrote:Also Jet Set Willy 2, what, a handful of extra rooms? Big whoop.
That was basically just the Amstrad CPC version of JSW ported back to the Spectrum and released as a sequel. It was pretty cheap from a marketing perspective, but I'd struggle to call it a bad game when it's better than the original in pretty much every way that it's different.
Oh absolutely, as an "expanded version" or enhanced or remixed or something, decent enough...But to be marketed as a full blown sequel...Grrrrr!
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:56 pm

Earth Defence Force: Insect Armageddon. All the chore of an EDF with none of the fun.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:41 pm

Bluce_Ree wrote:Earth Defence Force: Insect Armageddon. All the chore of an EDF with none of the fun.
Whilst It wasn't quite as good as the game before I still enjoyed it... its all subjective though
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:54 pm

Jimmy Corkhill wrote:Probably gonna get stick for this, but I found Super Street Fighter II on the Snes to be very disappointing!

Compared to Street Fighter II Turbo, the graphics were ugly (at times, I liked the new levels, and the character select screen), the sound effects and music are atrocious.

I've never played the Megadrive version.
But so far as poor sequels are concerned, do you see SFII to be inferior to SF?
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Jimmy Corkhill

Post by Jimmy Corkhill » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:14 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:
Jimmy Corkhill wrote:Probably gonna get stick for this, but I found Super Street Fighter II on the Snes to be very disappointing!

Compared to Street Fighter II Turbo, the graphics were ugly (at times, I liked the new levels, and the character select screen), the sound effects and music are atrocious.

I've never played the Megadrive version.
But so far as poor sequels are concerned, do you see SFII to be inferior to SF?
Ha ha! Good point, I've still never played the original Street Fighter.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:16 am

Not a bad game in itself but as a sequel Streets of Rage 3 when you consider that Streets of Rage 2 is one of the best Mega Drive games of all time. Also 'Yuzo Koshiro' icon soundtrack which still sounds amazing and has never been bettered. Shinobi 1 & 2, Streets of Rage 2, Act raiser Koshiro is a musical genius (cd's of his Megadrive music commands insane prices) his only bad piece of music was Streets of Rage 3. It's not bad it's just Poor compared to his other work:(

Then again the jap SOR 3 was a far better game then the version we got, everything that made the Japanese version stripped away and the UK Easy setting being as hard as the Jap 'Mania setting'

The other Sequal is Act Raiser 2 and overly difficult action game all style over substance which is almost impossible to complete and lacking the charm Of Act Raisers mash of Populous god sim and hack & slash
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:00 pm

[quote="The Laird"]
Kick Off 3 [/quote

no disrespect to steve screech but all the later anco kick offs(including the ones that dropped the ko name) were playable at best and the player manager sequels were great in terms of playing like premier manager but missed the usp of player manager
This guy are sick