Poor sequels

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

markopoloman

Re: Poor sequels

Post by markopoloman » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:24 pm

The Beans wrote:Add Wizkid and Serious Sam 2 to the list.
Wow! I loved both as sequels!
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:27 pm

Total Annihilation: Kingdoms - took an amazing, the best RTS and ruined it with Dragons. It just didn't work.
Flatout 3 - written by a different team to the first two (and the new FL4TOUT). It was rubbish.
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:58 pm

The Beans wrote:
paranoid marvin wrote:
The Beans wrote:Add Wizkid and Serious Sam 2 to the list.

Nooooop! Wizkid was all kinds of brilliant
It's a decent game in its own right but a poor sequel to Wizball. Put it this way, anybody playing it and expecting more Wizball is going to be sorely disappointed. I know I was.

Yep, anyone expecting something similar to Wizball would have been disappointed, and the game is so different to the original that it can barely be called a sequel.

But for me it was one of the most inventive, imaginative and humorous games on the Amiga and was proof that 16 bit computers could offer so much more than their counterpart consoles.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:37 am

Mayhem wrote:IM2, it's a great game imo, just not quite as good as the original.
IMO it totally missed the point about the original. If I didn't know anything about the games and looked at them I'd assume the first was the improved sequel.

killbot

Post by killbot » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:05 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:It's worth remembering that all lists are subjective so we won't all agree :)
The general concensus is that it's one of the weakest games in the franchise.
It might not even make our final list, but it's one that stuck in my mind when I started playing Chuckie Egg II :)
Though it's not bad, I'd agree Zelda II is probably the weakest mainline Zelda. The CDi games are much worse by all accounts, if you'd actually count them for the purposes of this thread.

I'd add Star Fox Zero. I played the game enough to beat it and really wanted to like it but the control scheme wrecked it, the game always feels like it's fighting you rather than enabling you. Duke Nukem forever has to warrant a mention, surely?

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

NickThorpe

Post by NickThorpe » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:38 am

Megamixer wrote:Valkyria Chronicles II - I personally like this but you cannot deny that the reliance on loads of grinding + shift to a more anime-inspired school/academy setting were two things that really ruined the fantastic tone set by the original.
Oh man, yeah. I beat it, but it was a real slog. The third game includes many of the same maps, a much more streamlined promotion system and a more interesting plot concerning a penal unit known as "The Nameless" - if you're only playing one handheld Valkyria Chronicles, make it that one.

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:27 am

Cannon Fodder 3. Made by a random Russian developer with no ties to the original creators, with none of the wit, charm or playability of the original.

Bomberman Act Zero. Because what the world really needed was a gritty 3D Bomberman game.

Prince of Persia: Warrior within. The reboot is one of my all time favourite PS2 games, with a genuinely appealing and sympathetic character. So obviously for the sequel they made him an Aldi own-brand Kratos from God of War.

GTA: San Andreas. WHY AM I SPENDING MY TIME TAKING MY CHARACTER TO GET HIS HAIR CUT AND MAKING SURE HE DOESN'T SKIP LEG DAY?

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:49 am

Didnt actually mind Chuckie Egg II, more places to explore etc rather than a single screen

Glad you mentioned Renegade III, didnt they have QA teams back then to say 'this isnt good?'

My nomination is...

Bomb Jack II - This wasnt even an arcade conversion, just a dire 'sequel'. Why didnt they just create a similar game to the original but with new platforms etc ? Mighty BombJack on the NES isnt bad, but Bomb Jack II on the 8 bits is terrible. I bought that and felt so letdown !

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:27 am

psj3809 wrote:Glad you mentioned Renegade III, didnt they have QA teams back then to say 'this isnt good?'
Didn't help that Crash gave it a Smash and 91% !!!! Never trusted them after that, very dodgy to say the least, wrote them a stinking letter about it, funnily enough it was not published in the mag.

Such a terrible, monotonous disgrace to the first two games.

merman

Post by merman » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:17 pm

Matt_B wrote:
paranoid marvin wrote:Magnetron took everything that was great in Quazatron and threw it out
I wouldn't say it threw out everything that was good, but it'd have been way more fun if they'd kept the circuit minigame and built upon it rather than going for a different kind of puzzle entirely.
I'm going to stick up for Magnetron here. The weight and charge mechanics are an interesting addition. And the minigame let's you make a tactical choice. Either disarm the detonator only (bottom row) to get a power recharge (destroying the other robot) OR take it over.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:02 pm

NickThorpe wrote:
Megamixer wrote:Valkyria Chronicles II - I personally like this but you cannot deny that the reliance on loads of grinding + shift to a more anime-inspired school/academy setting were two things that really ruined the fantastic tone set by the original.
Oh man, yeah. I beat it, but it was a real slog. The third game includes many of the same maps, a much more streamlined promotion system and a more interesting plot concerning a penal unit known as "The Nameless" - if you're only playing one handheld Valkyria Chronicles, make it that one.
Yeah, I've beaten all three. I think VCIII is still mired by anime cliche characters (and some of the most ridiculous in the series so far!) but the gameplay is definitely a lot better. I did enjoy the story, love interest aspect and being able to actually use a Valkyria though. Was definitely worth the messing about setting up CFW and getting a patched copy! I own it physically too.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Jimmy Corkhill

Post by Jimmy Corkhill » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:28 pm

Probably gonna get stick for this, but I found Super Street Fighter II on the Snes to be very disappointing!

Compared to Street Fighter II Turbo, the graphics were ugly (at times, I liked the new levels, and the character select screen), the sound effects and music are atrocious.

I've never played the Megadrive version.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:39 pm

The Chaos Engine II. Everything that was great in the original is missing here. The major change to the gameplay mechanic is just a disaster. Playing against one another just isn't as fun as the predecessor's co-operative gameplay. It's also really difficult.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:02 pm

Renegade 3 is the clear winner when it comes to rubbish sequels, a true abomination of a game, ghastly in every way.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:53 pm

So many good games mentioned so far. Standard stuff really. The first few people list a few genuinely poor sequels then people just start listing decent games to try and trigger other folk
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD