Bayonetta now on PC

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

outdated_gamer

Bayonetta now on PC

Post by outdated_gamer » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:27 am

Well, sort of:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/567090/

For those who don't really celebrate April the 1st, here's a count down to some sort of reveal (Bayonetta "8-bit" 2... :wink: ):

http://www.sega.com/14111219

Havantgottaclue

Re: Bayonetta now on PC

Post by Havantgottaclue » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:50 pm

Turns out you were right. It's just been released for the PC. Very reasonably priced at £15, I'd say.

Time to double-dip ... apparently it has 4K support but I'll need one of those 1080Ti beasts to run it at that res.
Soon you will have forgotten all things: soon all things will have forgotten you. (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 7)

killbot

Post by killbot » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:08 pm

That was it? After the days of hype building I thought it was going to be Bayonetta 3 on Switch rather than a belated PC port of the years-old original. Still, it's a good game so pleased for non-360/PS3/Wii U owning PC gamers.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:36 pm

Great news. Hopefully it paves the way for more PC Sega ports like Vanquish and the Yakuza series :mrgreen:
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:20 pm

killbot wrote:That was it? After the days of hype building I thought it was going to be Bayonetta 3 on Switch rather than a belated PC port of the years-old original. Still, it's a good game so pleased for non-360/PS3/Wii U owning PC gamers.
Well, my fingers are still crossed for that - plus of course an NS port of Bayonetta 2, which I have never played.
Soon you will have forgotten all things: soon all things will have forgotten you. (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 7)

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:39 pm

killbot wrote:That was it? After the days of hype building I thought it was going to be Bayonetta 3 on Switch rather than a belated PC port of the years-old original. Still, it's a good game so pleased for non-360/PS3/Wii U owning PC gamers.
Yeah, my idea was also either Bayonetta 2 PC port (which unofficially runs on CEMU btw) or Bayonetta 3 announcement for modern platforms, but a solid port of the original game at a discount price is also fine. Maybe a bit too much hype though.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:42 pm

Havantgottaclue wrote:Turns out you were right. It's just been released for the PC. Very reasonably priced at £15, I'd say.

Time to double-dip ... apparently it has 4K support but I'll need one of those 1080Ti beasts to run it at that res.
I doubt you'd need a top card to max that out in 4K, something like a 200 bucks RX 480 should do the job just fine, maybe even a slower/older card.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:11 am

Someone's got it running in 4K on a GTX 970. I'm not sure if that's at max settings or not though as, from my own experience, you'll rarely much above 30fps on most games that way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xUDTww4XvQ

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:54 am

Matt_B wrote:Someone's got it running in 4K on a GTX 970. I'm not sure if that's at max settings or not though as, from my own experience, you'll rarely much above 30fps on most games that way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xUDTww4XvQ
It's a port of a last gen console game, it should be possible to run well in 4K even on a GTX 1050 Ti, i.e. a budget/mid range card.

If you're talking about 4K in general then yeah, you should aim atleast for a GTX 1070 if you want to run modern games in 4K at decent speeds.

If you have the money for a 4K monitor you also have the money for a graphics card that will run stuff on it, but I must say I always prefered higher framerates over just higher resolutions and would personally rather play a game at 120 fps @ 1080p than 30 fps @ 4K.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:02 pm

Yeah, it's a port but they've added extra graphical options and let's not forget that it runs at stuttering frame rates - even the Wii U version dips to the mid 40s when the action hots up - and 720p on consoles. A current mid-range card will probably get you any two of 60fps (it appears to be locked and won't go higher), max settings and 4K but you'll still need a rather high-end card to get all three. That the 970 can do it tends to suggest that it's a well-optimized port, as it's a bit of a glass-half-full card when it comes to 4K generally.

Anyway, at the other end of the scale, I'd be interested to know how it does on the Surface Pro and the GPD Win. They're both somewhat below the minimum recommended spec, but so are a lot of other games that can be made to work on them.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:02 pm

Matt_B wrote:Yeah, it's a port but they've added extra graphical options and let's not forget that it runs at stuttering frame rates - even the Wii U version dips to the mid 40s when the action hots up - and 720p on consoles. A current mid-range card will probably get you any two of 60fps (it appears to be locked and won't go higher), max settings and 4K but you'll still need a rather high-end card to get all three. That the 970 can do it tends to suggest that it's a well-optimized port, as it's a bit of a glass-half-full card when it comes to 4K generally.

Anyway, at the other end of the scale, I'd be interested to know how it does on the Surface Pro and the GPD Win. They're both somewhat below the minimum recommended spec, but so are a lot of other games that can be made to work on them.
That card still tears thru games in 1080p but it's true it's not really ment for 4K or just for older/less demanding games. If you want 60 fps 4K in demanding modern games, you really do need a GTX 1080 Ti.

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:58 pm

You are all of course absolutely right that a 1080ti is overkill for Bayonetta - but I want to be able to play The Witcher 3 in 4K as well!

I have been wavering over whether or not to go with an entirely new system for months - in particular, waiting for Ryzen to show itself to see whether or not it would be worth saving up for a new system.

Every indication seems to be that there is probably little reason not to just carry on with my i7-3700k for a bit lonoger. It has a modest overclock that puts it at more-or-less the performance of a stock Skylake i7 so I think it will probably do me for another year or so.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:14 pm

Yeah, the 1080Ti is a 4K beast at a much more reasonable price than the Titan cards. That said, I've not been too disappointed with the 970, and it's usually just a case of dialling the graphics down a bit to get 4K and 60fps so any of the cards with intermediate performance should be worth a look if you see a good deal on one.

Sadly, it looks like it's an utter dog when running on Intel GPUs though, and that seems to have put paid to any hope of seeing it run with playable frame rates on the GPD Win or the Surface Pro. About 15fps on the former and 20 on the latter is about as good as it gets, and with serious stuttering at that.

Anything with an Nvidia GPU seems to love it though, so that bodes well for future Switch ports and sequels.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:34 pm

Well apparently the port sold well enough so there's hints about Vanquish now too. It seems Sega is porting more of their formerly console-only backlog over to PC/Steam. I personally hope Virtua Fighter 5 Final is next in line, but I wouldn't mind Afterburner Climax and OutRun Arcade (although that was a cut-down version of Coast to Coast and the car licensing might be an issue) either.

p.s.: speaking of 4K - 8K is now a thing on PC too, only for the best possible systems though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNz-CLzEcCs

There's vids of people pushing resolutions like 16K at playlable framerates too but those resolutions are not well supported and there's no single screen that could output it yet (it needs a multi-monitor setup currently).

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:21 am

I hope this happens, Vanquish is one of my top 3 Xbox 360 games of all time.