persona 5

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Analog

persona 5

Post by Analog » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:21 pm

reviews are in, it's very good! looks like another goty candidate, anyone picking up a copy?

ShadowMan

Re: persona 5

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:30 am

Yeah, I'm picking it up. I love the look of the game, not played any of the series before (despite owning 3 and 4 on my PSP/Vita). I'm looking forward to starting the game next week when my copy arrives.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:47 pm

Having put 200+ hours into Personas 3/P3P & 4G, I pre-ordered the Collectors' Edition with Shopto a couple of months ago.

However, I unfortunately lost my wallet recently and had to order new cards.

When I received the new card I updated my Shopto account to remove the old card and register the new one.

Cut to a few days ago, when I was reading excited comments from excited people that they had been sent an e-mail confirming their booking, and I thought - where's mine?

Logged onto Shopto - no sign of the preorder. The store page was sold out.

So I wrote an e-mail to them and they said that as soon as I cancelled my first card, the pre-order was cancelled. Apparently there is a warning, but I guess in my haste I missed it. It wouldn't have crossed my mind that cancelling a card and registering a new one in the same login session would have the consequences it did - and no e-mail confirming the cancellation either.

I do have a functioning sense of perspective but I was massively disappointed by this. Copies of the CE are of course going for £130+ now.

In any case I have Nier: Automata to get on with right now so I think I will just hold off on buying it for now.

EDIT: praise be! Zavvi have new stock in.
Soon you will have forgotten all things: soon all things will have forgotten you. (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 7)

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Tue May 02, 2017 3:48 pm

Aaaand, after a mere 100 hours of play ... I've finished it.

Finally, I get my life back!

Oh wait, new game plus ... :D
Soon you will have forgotten all things: soon all things will have forgotten you. (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 7)

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Tue May 02, 2017 4:47 pm

I've put about 30 hours into the game. Most of the way through the 3rd palace so far. I love the different designs of each palace, plus all the social bits outside of the dungeon crawling battles. Only thing I don't like is losing all my progress if the main character dies. I've thankfully avoided losing 1 hour + of progress so far, but its bound to happen sooner or later. Otherwise its excellent, I've not touched the series before but I'll be sure to try at least P3 and 4 after I finish 5.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Tue May 02, 2017 5:44 pm

Oh yes ... I lost an hour's progress a couple of times while playing the game - once it was on the very last enemy between me and the save room. Why didn't I just avoid the damned thing?!!

Problem is that combat seems a bit too straightforward sometimes - then all of a sudden, if you miss an ambush or have an unlucky dice roll, you can get knocked down unexpectedly quickly! Forgetting to check the affinities of the protagonist's equipped persona can be fatal too, if you inadvertently leave yourself weak to the enemy's main attack. I fell once or twice to that sucker punch ...

Analog

Post by Analog » Tue May 02, 2017 6:33 pm

looking forward to checking this out. good to hear people are enjoying it, I played 3 and saw the appeal immediately, its definitely a brand apart to a lot of the jrpg genre a great battle system and enemies, great story. the only thing about 3 that I don't like is the tedium with the dungeons, you might find that a bit of a grind coming from 5 as I hear they addressed the dungeon crawling complaints and made them a bit more varied, challenging and interesting.

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Wed May 03, 2017 1:36 am

The dungeons are definitely a high point, and Mementos is there if you want to grind away. Though I haven't had to grind once so far, everything feels challenging but fair. The only thing I don't really care for so far is Morgana, he's kind of a censored at times.

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Wed May 03, 2017 3:30 pm

@Sel Feena - I agree 100% that the dungeons are really good this time around - a vast improvement on earlier iterations. I enjoyed working out the various puzzles - none are especially difficult but they just make the experience a bit more coherent I think.

Mementos is, as a procedurally generated dungeon, somewhat reminiscent of earlier games in the series, but that is just the arena for side quests now.

For those looking to dip into other games in the series, the obvious place to start is Persona 4 Golden. This does have randomly generated dungeons, which can get repetitive. However, it does at least have combat bonuses that you earn through improving your social links (aka confidants).

By comparison, Persona 3 is a bit dated now, although a Golden-esque revamp wouldn't go amiss - if they perhaps streamlined the dungeons and added combat bonuses, it could work quite well. In many ways I like the moody setting best out of all of the modern Persona games.

Would a port of Persona 5 to the Vita be out of the question? It doesn't seem a massive step up technologically over P4G, although I gather that PS3 performance is very jittery in busy areas. In any case, I would think twice before firing up a game of P5 on the train - I'm not sure I'd like anyone to glance over at my screen only to see me doing battle with a giant todger (of which there are several in the game ...)

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Wed May 03, 2017 6:38 pm

Havantgottaclue wrote:Aaaand, after a mere 100 hours of play ... I've finished it.

Finally, I get my life back!

Oh wait, new game plus ... :D
I've not started it yet as I'm told that you need to level up in the real world as well as in the horror/alternative world. Would I need to do all the side quests in school and hang around with the kids after school before tackling the dungeons? I've played the PS Vita version briefly when you get sucked into the TV and kids are turning up dead in the morning hung on upside down crosses(I assume this is Persona 4) So just wondering how easy is it to get to grips with for a novice Persona player?
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Fri May 05, 2017 6:51 am

@Shinobi

You do the two in parallel, basically, mixing up day-to-day activities with exploring either the main target's "palace" or seeking out treasure/minor targets in Mementos. Developing social links can help you to improve your personal stats (knowledge, kindness, guts, charm and proficiency), and you can also improve those by undertaking certain activities or working a part-time job.

Improving your relationships with party members makes them more powerful in combat, so it's important to balance dungeon crawling with the real-world activities. You'll get a feel for it. A lot of the time, you will get a message from a confidant if they are ready to be ranked up, so to an extent the game will nudge you gently to move at an appropriate pace.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri May 05, 2017 5:22 pm

I found its worth exploring the palaces (RPG dungeons) early on when you get access to them, just so you aren't rushing at the end of the time limit each one has. I almost messed up the first palace because I left it to the very last moment! I'm now at the 3rd boss with plenty of time to spare and loving the game. Its really easy to pick up and play (this is one of a very small number of RPG's I've ever played).

HisNHer_LP

Post by HisNHer_LP » Sat May 06, 2017 11:02 am

Going to pick this up but never played a persona, I have one on the vita that I have yet to play, I have decided to download all of them and start from the beginning, I'm told the story's don't link so it's not a problem but it will be fun seeing how each game has changed with each new release