Your fave Mortal Kombat

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

is

The original Mortal Kombat - a bloody Kung Fu movie turned into a game
19%
Mortal Kombat II - the upgrade that almost everyone remembers the best
46%
Mortal Kombat 3/Ultimate - a good ending of the original trilogy
5%
MK Trilogy - a mix of all the old MKs and the end of an era
8%
MK4/Gold - the first 3D entry
No votes
Deadly Alliance - the reboot of the series that revamped the fighting system
3%
Deception/Unchained - upgrade to DA
5%
Armageddon - final upgrade of DA/Deception
No votes
Mortal Kombat 2011/Komplete - HD reboot
3%
X/XL - modern-gen MK
11%

Total votes: 37

stayAwhile

Re: Your fave Mortal Kombat

Post by stayAwhile » Wed May 24, 2017 11:24 am

ShadowMan wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:32 am
MK Vs DC is kinda a main game in the series and a spinoff at the same time, its technically the 8th mainline MK game - since Mortal Kombat (on PS3 and 360) is MK9. Always found that depressing since I hate MK Vs DC - terrible controls just ruined the game for me, pretty disappointing roster as well. At least Injustice and MK9 were both far better!

As for the question at hand - I really like MK2, MK Trilogy and the two newest entries - MK9 and MKX.

2 is a favourite of mine just because I love the roster, look of the game, backgrounds and soundtrack. I'm still not very good at it, but I enjoy playing a couple of rounds from time to time.

Trilogy is a guilty pleasure since it has every character from MK1-UMK3 playable. Its hilariously unbalanced but I never cared, just being able to have Goro or Shao Kahn playable was awesome. Difficulty is hilariously broken after the first couple of fights though which kills my fun a bit.

The newer games - MK9 and MKX (as well as Injustice) are great fun though. While not feeling quite as slick (controls wise) as some other fighters I still have a great deal of fun with the games, tons of fun content and a return to 2D fighting (I never enjoyed the 3D games as much as the older ones). I'm really interested to see where they go with the eventual MK 11 (and I'm very hyped for Injustice 2).
vs dcu was fun and controlled better than the ps2 trilogy but was let down by lack of dlc. mk2 was the best followed by 1 3 and trilogy just a shame the hd remakes got cancled
This guy are sick

stvd

Post by stvd » Wed May 24, 2017 11:59 am

Deception on the Xbox.
Purely because it had chess built into it. A distraction from the actual MK fighting which is possibly one of the worst fighting games of all time.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Wed May 24, 2017 1:07 pm

stvd wrote:
Wed May 24, 2017 11:59 am
Deception on the Xbox.
Purely because it had chess built into it. A distraction from the actual MK fighting which is possibly one of the worst fighting games of all time.
I sort of liked the first few, but the series has always been 2nd tier in terms of actual fighting to me. especially the original 2d games.

How some people were saying it was the best fighting game is beyond me. the characters were all literally the same person with different looks. the only thing to distinguish them was special moves. apart from that they all had literally the exact same moveset.

I got caught in the hype for a bit and enjoyed trying to pull off fatalities for each character in the first game but that was it.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed May 24, 2017 1:10 pm

I really enjoyed MK9 and the extreme-ness of the x-ray moves, fatalities etc. It actually felt decent to play as well unlike the PS2 games which I thought were awful (I'm mostly recalling Armageddon as a clunky, boring experience).

Still got MK XL sealed on the shelf but it looks great from what I have seen online.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Wed May 24, 2017 4:22 pm

stvd wrote:
Wed May 24, 2017 11:59 am
Deception on the Xbox.
I went from being a huge MK fan boy as a kid to liking Street Fighter more due to more technical gameplay, now I went back to preferring MK over SF again. :wink:

Then again, I'm not a "serious" competitive fighting game player and don't give a crap about what is hip in the fighting game community and play the MK games because I find them fun (cool lore, interesting characters and gory, accessible fighting).

stvd

Post by stvd » Wed May 24, 2017 4:52 pm

I'm no fighting game "pro".
I've enjoyed SF, Tekken, Dead or Alive in the past but never seen the appeal of MK.
I always thought the gameplay was sub part and the animation was poor and most folk played it because of the gore.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:16 pm

Another really cool-looking fan game that wasn't released:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVJMcTKp-AU

If I was told this is a new MK title in the PSX times, I'd believe it. It certainly would be more appealing than the somewhat disappointing MK4.

Snakeeyes

Post by Snakeeyes » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:10 am

Not really a big fan, the over the top violence seemed unnecessary and all the blood made me a bit queasy. I like how they have a broad range of characters from every nationality throughout the series and some really strong female characters.

LAIS

Post by LAIS » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:33 am

I thought Deception was great, I put hours into that. The originals were fun, but they haven't aged well. I also really like the reboots, but Deception edges it for me. It's packed with great content. Puzzle Kombat is genius.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:12 am

I voted MK2 as it's the only one I can actually 1cc and have good memeries off playing MK2 and Killer Instinct in Stardust all the competition my friends and I had playing then.

Pick Scorpion jump back, they jump towards you spear, uppercut teleport punch rinse and repeat.

Also liked the PS2 version with that Vampire woman my friend unlocked everything on that can't recall what MK it was called, does anybody know? I think there was also a scrolling beat em up and this guy who grew old as the game went on...
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:42 am

MK3 is the one I have the best memories of, though the sampled speech was very iffy, me and my mate were convinced that people trapped in Cyrax's electric net were saying 'oh no, not the shed!'

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:05 pm

Gave MKII a vote. Not surprisingly, it's leading in the poll, it really was a monstrous game in it's time, especially for impressionable young persons (Ed Boon has avoided the media and censorship bodies accusations - the MK games were certainly controversial due to the violence once upon a time). Although I like the "Kung Fu movie" feel of the original game too. There's tons of fan MK games out there by the way, I suggest to fans of the series to check them out as some are really creative or interesting (e.g. MK vs Killer Instinct, MK vs SF and so on).

stejay007

Post by stejay007 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:46 pm

The first two for me, with Mortal Kombat 2 edging it

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:57 am

Has to be MK2 for me. The look of the first with more playability. And the MD version, with cheats etc! :)