Your fave Mortal Kombat

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

is

The original Mortal Kombat - a bloody Kung Fu movie turned into a game
19%
Mortal Kombat II - the upgrade that almost everyone remembers the best
46%
Mortal Kombat 3/Ultimate - a good ending of the original trilogy
5%
MK Trilogy - a mix of all the old MKs and the end of an era
8%
MK4/Gold - the first 3D entry
No votes
Deadly Alliance - the reboot of the series that revamped the fighting system
3%
Deception/Unchained - upgrade to DA
5%
Armageddon - final upgrade of DA/Deception
No votes
Mortal Kombat 2011/Komplete - HD reboot
3%
X/XL - modern-gen MK
11%

Total votes: 37

outdated_gamer

Your fave Mortal Kombat

Post by outdated_gamer » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:23 pm

Mortal Kombat, the gory fighting game series that once sparked a controversy about video game violence which is now much more acceptable in the main-stream. But gore was not all it had going for it, it also had a very interesting lore dealing with ancient Chinese mythology and other-worldly dimensions that threaten our world, memorable, charismatic characters and a solid fighting system. When it comes to pure depth and complexity of the fighting system, Mortal Kombat was never quite comparable to it's closest rival, Street Fighter, but it made up with accessibility. While many other Western-made fighting games sort of died out over the course of the years (sans Killer Instinct, which was rebooted for the Xbox One and PC), Mortal Kombat presisted till modern times, as a still active fighting game franchise. And although it might not be as popular as it once was, it kept the "spark" that made the originals so addictive and praised back in the days.

Which is your fave game in the series and why?

Personally, I'd go for the original Mortal Kombat, which, although superseded by it's successors, felt like a real revolution back when it came out in terms of violence (blood and executions - fatalities) and realistic visuals (filmed characters - digitized graphics) and felt like a genuine Kung Fu movie turned into a game. Mortal Kombat II would be a close second, often praised as the best of the bunch and it's not hard to see why, whereas the third one was a bit of a let down but it got the pretty solid "Ultimate" upgrade which fixed a lot of shortcommings. Trilogy was more of the same, MK4 was a pretty weak jump into the 3rd dimension, Deadly Alliance brought the series back and revamped the fighting system, Deception and Armageddon were a upgraded Deadly Alliance, the 2011 reboot was the series' first proper "HD" entry, X and XL upgraded the series for a modern generation and brought back the gory legacy. But I still give the original game and the second one the biggest props and would love to see them remade with "HD" filmed visuals.

p.s.: note that spin-off titles (e.g. Sub Zero Mythologies, Special Forces, Shaolin Monks, MK vs DC, etc) were not included in the poll.

ShadowMan

Re: Your fave Mortal Kombat

Post by ShadowMan » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:32 am

MK Vs DC is kinda a main game in the series and a spinoff at the same time, its technically the 8th mainline MK game - since Mortal Kombat (on PS3 and 360) is MK9. Always found that depressing since I hate MK Vs DC - terrible controls just ruined the game for me, pretty disappointing roster as well. At least Injustice and MK9 were both far better!

As for the question at hand - I really like MK2, MK Trilogy and the two newest entries - MK9 and MKX.

2 is a favourite of mine just because I love the roster, look of the game, backgrounds and soundtrack. I'm still not very good at it, but I enjoy playing a couple of rounds from time to time.

Trilogy is a guilty pleasure since it has every character from MK1-UMK3 playable. Its hilariously unbalanced but I never cared, just being able to have Goro or Shao Kahn playable was awesome. Difficulty is hilariously broken after the first couple of fights though which kills my fun a bit.

The newer games - MK9 and MKX (as well as Injustice) are great fun though. While not feeling quite as slick (controls wise) as some other fighters I still have a great deal of fun with the games, tons of fun content and a return to 2D fighting (I never enjoyed the 3D games as much as the older ones). I'm really interested to see where they go with the eventual MK 11 (and I'm very hyped for Injustice 2).
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:52 am

Deadly Alliance.

The 2D ones were fun but always felt a bit stiff and very cheap IMHO.
4 is frankly a bit crap.
I've not played enough of the later ones to judge them fairly.

DA just seemed to get the balance right between over-the-top indiscriminate violence and actually being a fun, playable fighting game. Changing kombat styles on the fly, the controls, the presentation and the fanservice - all combined together in a very satisfying manner.

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:01 am

I started with MK1 on the Amiga and then bought a SNES just to own MK2. MK Trilogy was great on the PS1 was the best until MK XL came out. The old 2D ones have aged badly. MK XL is easily the best one by a clear margin.

Jimmy Corkhill

Post by Jimmy Corkhill » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:15 am

Not sure if It's my favorite, but I love.......and I know a lot of people hate it, but I absolutely love Mortal Kombat Gold on Dreamcast.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:07 am

Trilogy on the playstation

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:08 am

ShadowMan wrote:MK Vs DC is kinda a main game in the series and a spinoff at the same time, its technically the 8th mainline MK game - since Mortal Kombat (on PS3 and 360) is MK9. Always found that depressing since I hate MK Vs DC - terrible controls just ruined the game for me, pretty disappointing roster as well. At least Injustice and MK9 were both far better!

As for the question at hand - I really like MK2, MK Trilogy and the two newest entries - MK9 and MKX.

2 is a favourite of mine just because I love the roster, look of the game, backgrounds and soundtrack. I'm still not very good at it, but I enjoy playing a couple of rounds from time to time.

Trilogy is a guilty pleasure since it has every character from MK1-UMK3 playable. Its hilariously unbalanced but I never cared, just being able to have Goro or Shao Kahn playable was awesome. Difficulty is hilariously broken after the first couple of fights though which kills my fun a bit.

The newer games - MK9 and MKX (as well as Injustice) are great fun though. While not feeling quite as slick (controls wise) as some other fighters I still have a great deal of fun with the games, tons of fun content and a return to 2D fighting (I never enjoyed the 3D games as much as the older ones). I'm really interested to see where they go with the eventual MK 11 (and I'm very hyped for Injustice 2).
MK vs DC might not be a bad game (would like to see a MK vs SF game personally), but it's simply not what the fan-base wanted. It were better if it was a spin-off title that would be made after the reboot.

Agreed about MKII, the look of the game, the stages and the music are all still top notch, if you look past the lower resolution (which can be somewhat compensated with good edge-smoothing filters like xBRZ). I like the look and feel of the original MK too, it has that "Kung Fu movie" vibe to it with more Earthly stages.

Trilogy was indeed pretty unbalanced, but as you say being able to play with the boss characters and on all stages was attractive in itself.

Well put about MK 2011 and MKX going back a bit more to the 2D roots, I also like the fighting systems of the original trilogy best and these two games bring back more of that than Deadly Alliance had. Of course DA was not bad, but it does feel a bit more "Tekkenized" compared to the other games.

Bluce_Ree wrote:I started with MK1 on the Amiga and then bought a SNES just to own MK2. MK Trilogy was great on the PS1 was the best until MK XL came out. The old 2D ones have aged badly. MK XL is easily the best one by a clear margin.
SNES' version of MKII was pretty great, true. The first game was a bit censored and stiff but the sequel felt like a proper port.

I don't agree that the old 2D games aged badly though, they still are very playlable and look pretty good too with the realistic, filmed characters and well drawn backgrounds.

The competitive fighting game community might look down on the MK series, but to be fair I don't really care about what they have to say because I play games for personal enjoyment rather than "just to win". And the MK games can still be pretty fun in a competitive, non-cheating environment.

gunbladelad

Post by gunbladelad » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:06 pm

I'll go with the original Mortal Kombat - I've never played the others enough to be able to judge them properly.
Where logic won't work, I will

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:04 pm

I'll go with the first one; the follow ups obviously got a little more refined in terms of the gameplay but none of them had anything like the same initial impact.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:56 pm

The movie, one of the rare times a film is better than the game

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:15 pm

I think that X is far more playable than any of the previous games in the series. The original titles feel awful now and are very much style over substance. The gore, fatalities etc. all stand out about the games, but in my opinion, for the most part they are fairly awful fighting games.

More recently the developers seem to have greater focus on the game mechanics and balances.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:04 pm

DPrinny wrote:The movie, one of the rare times a film is better than the game
But the MKII commercial looked better than the movie... :wink:

Black Ridge wrote:I think that X is far more playable than any of the previous games in the series. The original titles feel awful now and are very much style over substance. The gore, fatalities etc. all stand out about the games, but in my opinion, for the most part they are fairly awful fighting games.

More recently the developers seem to have greater focus on the game mechanics and balances.
MK1 is actually pretty interesting on a competitive level:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahoWFu4h7Ns&t=400s

Although I would agree that the Street Fighter series are much more tournament-friendly.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:50 pm

Black Ridge wrote:I think that X is far more playable than any of the previous games in the series. The original titles feel awful now and are very much style over substance. The gore, fatalities etc. all stand out about the games, but in my opinion, for the most part they are fairly awful fighting games.

X is definitely really fun to play, and I prefer the more realistically proportioned characters. Only thing is the fatalities went from being over the top funny to in many cases just plain nasty, and even worse when you consider half the cast are now related.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:06 am

UMK3 for me, I clearly remember buying it for the Saturn from Dixons when they were doing some kind of limited weekend offer (buy 1 get one half price I think) and I played it far more than I did the original on the Mega Drive.

SpecChum81
Location: London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wubble!!

Post by SpecChum81 » Mon May 22, 2017 5:00 pm

I voted for the original, but I loved the additional moves and characters in MK II, especially Kitana and Mileena! :wink:
Press Play On Tape