Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

ALK

Re: Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild

Post by ALK » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:54 pm

One player makes a Guardian and a Stone Talus fight one another. :lol:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/0 ... f_the_wild
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:04 pm

JamesC wrote:Well they would say something like that. They're not going to say "we're altering the Wii U version to make it easier to cross develop with Switch. This means removing touchscreen functionality".
I can't see how touch screen integration could possibly take you out of the game more than having to pause into an inventory screen every time you want to pick up a new weapon and your inventory is full. Or having to do the same to eat food or take elixirs.
Well the bottom line is that you have a major first party release that doesn't even attempt to use any aspect of the console's USP (the pad). It's pretty pants to be honest and I was initially quite mystified as to why the Gamepad was relagated to displaying the game's logo.

I can live with it but like JamesC said, I'd still rather have the option to pause then switch between items on the touchscreen. After all, you do the same on-screen when swapping weapons/bows if you don't use the quick commands.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:09 pm

Yeah, but let's face it. The USPs of the Wii U are moot at this point in this time because there's nobody really interested in selling it any more.

Once the Switch became the lead platform the chances of it having anything left in it at the time of release that made use of anything the Wii U has that it doesn't was pretty much zero. Much like with Twilight Princess, the game is about selling an entirely different product to the one it was originally designed for. The difference, I suppose, is that the Cube doesn't really have any significant features that the Wii lacks.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:18 pm

Matt_B wrote:Yeah, but let's face it. The USPs of the Wii U are moot at this point in this time because there's nobody really interested in selling it any more.

Once the Switch became the lead platform the chances of it having anything left in it at the time of release that made use of anything the Wii U has that it doesn't was pretty much zero. Much like with Twilight Princess, the game is about selling an entirely different product to the one it was originally designed for. The difference, I suppose, is that the Cube doesn't really have any significant features that the Wii lacks.
I understand that Nintendo might not "be bothered" about shouting about the USP of a dead system but I still think it's pretty poor (by their standards) to have a useless second screen. It just reminds me of lazy third parties in the DS days when they didn't bother with the second screen. I know this is an entirely different scenario but those are the memories it evokes for me.

Even if it permanently displayed the map...anything to cut down on entering menus. It's just an overall waste whatever the reasons and I really hope the cynical theory of slightly nerfing the Wii-U edition to not make it appear superior to the Switch edition isn't true. I mean, I doubt it would have impacted much on sales between the two platforms anyway.

None of this is killing my love for the game itself by the way. I just find it a semi-interesting discussion point...
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:53 pm

I'd think the most likely candidate would be that they were very tight on RAM. We know that the Switch has 4GB, while the Wii U only has 2GB and half of that is normally reserved for system use. As evidence of this, you can see that the behaviour of the game on the Wii U when paused using the home button is a little different to most, in that there's a long pause when you resume. We obviously don't know exactly what's going on but it's been theorized that it's sneakily using the system memory while the game is running and only releasing it when required for other things. Also the large "install" required when you first run it is effectively setting up a large cache of data that would most likely be held in RAM in the Switch version, so performance could be impacted if memory was diverted from that to other features.

That said, we know that Xenoblade Chronicles X also uses similar tricks and that does make better use of the touch pad.

pratty

Post by pratty » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:03 pm

Jim's entitled to his oipinion but I thought he made too much of the game's niggles, especially the weapons. I had the same issue with Resi Evil games, finishing with powerful weapons I never ended up using. Losing weapons isn't completely unlike running out of ammo and switching weapons in shooting games, nobody says that's bad design.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

ALK

Post by ALK » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:57 pm

Annnnnd that's the game beaten today. Onto more exploring the stuff I missed till Mario Kart.... :lol:
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

Analog

Post by Analog » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:31 pm

the ddos'ing thing was ridiculous,it annoys me when fans go to this length. I suspect though its not just because it made the game drop one point on metacritic, but based on js's recent video's on the topic of nintendo where he has consistently stuck his fingers up at the company and their fans. that doesn't make it excusable of course or justifiable, just think people might be missing some context.

sscott

Post by sscott » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:14 pm

Gonna sink some proper time into this over the weekend. Half an hour here and there not enough. Couple of beers and a pizza will see me through!

killbot

Post by killbot » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:40 pm

Well, I now have all four Divine Beasts and the Master Sword, so I guess I'm off to fight Ganon. I might try to find the Hylian Shield and the traditional Link outfit first, it feels appropriate to take on Ganon with the proper gear. Wish me luck!

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:27 am

Finished this afternoon. Had a very late session into the small hours this morning. While that's mostly a good sign - it is very addictive - I was beginning to get quite cheesed off with the last Divine Beast. I did Rudania last and I walked around countless times trying to find out how to switch off the fire columns, trying some really outlandish things and numerous times ending up in the lava. The solution, of course, came easily when I opened my eyes.

I never really quite got to grips with the combat. The flurry attack is really handy but I just didn't get good enough at timing dodges to make it a dependable plan. Still, it's really just that I was a bit crap at it - it was fluid enough.

Breakages tend to be less of a problem later in game, although I did have one moment of frustration when an Ancient Broadsword decided to shatter 1 strike into a flurry attack on a Lynel. Things did not go well after that.

I did enjoy going around farming lots of hearty veg, luminous stones, getting decent armour, upgrading it, getting the house in Hatona etc. It really works well. The final assault on the castle is actually quite a bit easier than it at first looks, if you use your nous. Most of the nastiest creatures can be avoided, and it's well worth it just to save your resources for Ganon. (It is, however, worth getting to the guard room where there are some decent bits of kit). The final battle itself is really good - well, the second half is anyway - the first bit had me scratching my head at times (while also getting roasted) but I managed to spam my way through.

I actually quite liked the stamina system - yes, running is very restricted but I like the way it forces you to choose between climbing early on and finding another way around - because the other way is always interesting too. There were a few times where I thought I could do nothing right - getting zapped by lightning one second, chased by Yiga warriors the next (the really big ones, not the rubbish disappearing archers) - but you can always choose to find a safe spot to cook up some Ironshrooms!

So all in all I think it's a fantastic game, although perhaps not in my very top tier. Top 10 probably. Now it's done it's done, although there's probably a lot more I could do (not that you can go back to the world post-final-battle mind you) I will wait now until the DLC arrives.
Soon you will have forgotten all things: soon all things will have forgotten you. (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 7)

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:00 am

I think the thing with the combat is that there are always lots of different ways to fight and you don't have to master all of them. So yes, you can win all fights in melee mode, taking little or no damage, with a series of perfect dodges and flurry rushes. However, you can also pick enemies off at range with bows and runes, or take a more strategic approach and tool up with the right weapons and equipment to make your attacks deadly while your opponents are at their least effective. Whichever way, once you can beat the toughest regular enemies - Guardian, Lynel, Hynox, etc. - on a regular basis, you're pretty much set to take on the finale.

I think the stamina wheel works well for most things. When you're running along, you can generally just sprint and then coast a bit to keep it from exhausting entirely, and with a bit of jinking you can throw off most arrows shot in your direction into the bargain. When climbing, it's usually possible to stage your ascents with rest stops, and just letting go and skidding back down a little is rarely catastrophic when you do hit a dead end. Even when gliding, you can master the art of releasing and just opening it back up just before you hit the ground so as not to take damage. The one area where it feels a big let down for me is swimming; Link has gone from an Olympic endurance athlete in that regard to being someone who'd drown in a garden pool if he couldn't touch the bottom. I guess they wanted the lakes and rivers to be natural boundaries, although you can still brute force across most of them with a few upgrades, but it's something of a departure from his prowess in previous games.

ALK Temp

Post by ALK Temp » Mon May 01, 2017 9:34 pm

The first of the DLC Packs has been detailed,

http://kotaku.com/zelda-breath-of-the-w ... 1794821521

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Tue May 02, 2017 2:06 am

ALK Temp wrote:The first of the DLC Packs has been detailed,

Are they really charging for a Hard Mode and some extra fast travel? Say it ain't so! :lol:
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

ALK Temp

Post by ALK Temp » Tue May 02, 2017 12:34 pm

The Beans wrote:
ALK Temp wrote:The first of the DLC Packs has been detailed,

Are they really charging for a Hard Mode and some extra fast travel? Say it ain't so! :lol:
Well you can't buy any of it separately, so it's all pretty much a package for your £18 extra Season Pass. The 2nd pack will contain an all new story campaign with a new dungeon so hopefully that'll make it all worth it.

They've also updated the game with a free new feature where you can change the vocals to one of 9 languages, including Japanese.