Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Megamixer

Re: Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild

Post by Megamixer » Tue May 02, 2017 5:29 pm

There's a story in the game? :shock:

In all seriousness, haven't played it for a good few weeks now. I'm getting that daunted feeling of not remember where I was/what I was doing and so I keep putting off making a return. This happened when I played Dragon's Dogma too and I never went back to it :oops:

Will definitely have to get back to it...

...and buy Dragon's Dogma again at some point!
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue May 02, 2017 11:42 pm

I'd say that it's got a story in the same sense that Rashomon or Citizen Kane has. I.e. you're presented with a series of fragmentary flashbacks in a seemingly random order, and it's pretty much down to you as the viewer to fit them together. Ah well; if you want a totally open game where no events bar the beginning and the ending are fixed in the narrative, I suppose that's about the only way you can tell a story.

And there's no need to worry about where you were either, as most of the game is pretty much optional; you can do the shrines and the divine beasts in any order, or not at all and just head straight for the castle to kick Ganon's backside with weapons you can find lying around the floor of it. Indeed, I'd recommend going for the end-game sooner rather than later, as if you wait until you can take down three lynels before breakfast it's all going to feel rather anti-climactic.

I'm passing on the DLC for the moment. I just don't think there's enough on offer, although the third tranche might yet make it worth the money. I'm just wondering what an extra dungeon will be in a game that doesn't really have dungeons in the usual Zelda sense. An extra shrine wouldn't really be that much, as even the more involved ones only take around fifteen minutes, while the divine beasts aren't that much bigger. An addition on the scale of Hyrule Castle, with all its accompanying loot, would be worth splurging on though, and there are a couple of suspiciously empty areas on the map where they could plonk it. Also, I'm contemplating buying the game again on the Switch when I eventually get one, so it might make more sense to buy it there.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Wed May 03, 2017 3:05 pm

I'd say that the real beauty of this game is that you make your own story! Yes, there's one there and the characters are certainly cool...but for me the best moments are stumbling across mysterious ruins or massive mountains and exploring.

The most epic moment to date was me fighting a Lizzard thing at the top of a volcano, massively under-leveled I was one hit away from being killed. My sword broke so I switched to a spear and noticed that one hit caused him to stagger. I jumped forward with three quick strikes, got him near the edge and then threw the spear, sending him tumbling over the edge of the volcano. Totally unscripted but that fight has stayed with me more than any of the other story elements in the game.

Reminds me of Skyrim in that respect!

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed May 03, 2017 4:39 pm

I was being a little sarcastic with the story comment, guys :wink:

My real issue is that it's the kind of game where I've been spending several hours at a time just immersed in exploring and I haven't had that sort of time lately. Bah.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

VirtuaMuser

Post by VirtuaMuser » Fri May 05, 2017 1:32 am

I don't think I will ever beat this game, it's obvious how it ends, I'm just having too much fun relishing the journey in between :)