Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

kiwimike

Re: Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild

Post by kiwimike » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:36 pm

HEAVYface wrote:it's deffo BOTW i'm playing...open world games....pah! if one game was going to sell the open world idea to me it would be a Zelda or Nintendo developed title. open world - Its just not my thing, just like hyrule warriors didn't sell me on those one dude twatting an entire army games either.
Totally fair enough, if a game aint your thang it ain't. If you don't like open world games as a style it'd almost impossible for one game to change your mind about it :)

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:48 pm

Matt_B wrote:I thought Jim Sterling's review was fair. He raises a lot of good points about the game some of which I'd agree with him on (e.g. the weapon's durability system) and some that I wouldn't (he didn't like the shrine puzzles, where to me they're an essential part of what makes it a Zelda game) but overall, he still liked the game. The backlash seems to be purely about the number he scored it with.

And really, the problem here is the ridiculous emphasis some people will place on metascores. They're not some immutable standard by which any two games can be compared, but rather an extremely coarse metric that's both dependent upon who reviewed a game and their individual scoring system, as well as how well received it is. So, never mind that Jim's review knocked Zelda down a point; that's utterly meaningless. The important point for me is that it's the game that's given the Zelda franchise the biggest kick up the backside since Ocarina of Time, and you can't really put a number on that.
Fair points. There's a number of problems with reviews. At the end of the day, they are a single gamers opinion, one the person is entitled to. That's it. Nothing more or less. And it doesn't matter whether you're talking games, movies or music. Music especially is subjective- Someone with a strong Metal taste is unlikely to rate a country music album highly :lol:
Then there's the fans. And it doesn't just relate to Nintendo, it's any who are so passionate about one game system, or music genre, or movie, they act personally butthurt should a reviewer not give something they love it's perfect score they see it deserves.

I think there is something to be said about not rating a game/movie/album at all- Just give an honest account. I guess then people grumble there isn't a lazy read-the-end-percentage-at-the-end-of-the-review option.

It's amusing the review of BOTW is getting slated when it is actually a favourable review, and a very high pass mark. Not every game or movie has to be a work of art masterpiece; just enjoyable entertainment. People tend to forget when all is said and done- it's just fun entertainment. And this particular review makes me want to play the game :)

JamesC

Post by JamesC » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:04 am

I've played a bit more of Breath of the Wild and I'm enjoying it more than I was - it definitely gets better as it goes along.
The game has some undeniably high highs - it's just a matter of how much you let the myriad minor lows drag the whole thing down.
I think I can quite safely say that this is one of the most fiddly and irritating games I've played. Sometimes I'm feeling like I'm enjoying the game despite its controls rather than because of them.

Here's an example of one of the poor control set ups:

When you go to take control of the Elephant Divine Beast in Zora's domian you have to use the Cryonis Rune to destroy various flying targets.
You have to press L1 to activate the rune, aim with the R stick and 'fire' with 'A'. No one's going to convince me that it's a good control layout to make you target with 'R' stick and fire with 'A'.

ALK

Post by ALK » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:17 pm

Returned today after some visits from the plumber (I know, insert Mario joke here.) taking up time and even though I'm pretty far along (3 Beasts down, 1 to go), I still had a great time exploring looking for new cooking ingredients and new weapons after running low on both. Stop reading if you don't want slight spoilers.

Had one of those funny deaths where I was chasing a bear thinking arrows would take it out only for it to eventually get fed up of me by tackling me off the mountain to my day. :lol: I also got most of the map filled with the last tower being the one that looked like it was on-top of castle ground and guarded by those Guardian Drones (I did have the arrows for them but it seemed those Assassins kept showing up at the worst time. That was when I came up with a great plan, make many stamina refills and fly off the top of Death Mountain to the Tower. I was convinced there was no way this was going to work whether a sky enemy or something blow would hit me or the game saying no, but sure enough as my last refill was used and running out, I made a gentle landing on the final tower and got it registered. God I love the freedom in this game. :lol:

Best crack on with the final beast tomorrow, then a Rocky montage of training for Ganon. :lol:
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:31 pm

I swear the weapons in this game are made from bone china... really annoying :shock:
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:21 pm

gman72 wrote:I swear the weapons in this game are made from bone china... really annoying :shock:
Yeah. Nothing worse than finding a couple of decent metal swords and having them break fairly quickly. I suppose it's all part of being thrown into the wild and having to survive on whatever you find but even so, proper forged weapons should last longer. I find myself using bombs as much as possible to weaken enemies so that I don't have to use a sword too much on them.

Still really enjoying it any case - journeying into the distance and simply climbing over anything that's in the way before gliding off the other side feels like a real adventure. Can't get enough of the green vistas that are sometimes so vibrant that they are blinding. Proper beautiful stuff.

Had a few more amusing moments when fighting enemies today. Dismounted from a horse to fight another horseback enemy from the ground (because it's just easier) and my horse randomly kicked the enemy off theirs and killed them outright :lol: The other little gem was going in for the kill against a moblin at a camp only for the enemy to run straight into its own campfire and finish itself off :lol:
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

ALK

Post by ALK » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:35 pm

gman72 wrote:I swear the weapons in this game are made from bone china... really annoying :shock:
Nah, they were all made by this guy.

Amazing all the connections to past games. :lol:
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:50 pm

There is one weapon in the game that you can't break, and that's the Master Sword. It does have a rather long recharge time though and isn't particularly powerful against regular enemies, so you've still got to carry a fair number of alternates.

JamesC

Post by JamesC » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:13 am

I have a feeling the weapon changing and inventory decisions were made back when this was going to be Zelda WiiU. I can't help but feel this was designed to be handled by the touchscreen.
I think when they changed it to a Switch launch game they disabled the touchscreen integration on the WiiU version so the reviews wouldn't say that the WiiU version was better.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:21 pm

JamesC wrote:I have a feeling the weapon changing and inventory decisions were made back when this was going to be Zelda WiiU. I can't help but feel this was designed to be handled by the touchscreen.
I think when they changed it to a Switch launch game they disabled the touchscreen integration on the WiiU version so the reviews wouldn't say that the WiiU version was better.
That's the one thing I'm disappointed with on the Wii-U - the completely useless touchscreen when it should be used for inventory. I actually find it completely unintuitive to be holding down d-pad buttons and flicking through different weapons with the right stick, especially in the middle of a battle when I forget which directional button I need etc.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:49 pm

the d-pad quick selection is more trouble than it's worth, the amount of times I have tried to sneak up on an enemy, run out of an arrow type and want a different one but accidentally hit the down on the d pad to whistle -ffs- therefore blowing my cover and making my sneaking around total waste of time - I can't count how many times this has happened.

really annoying if you are fighting those lizards that are super quick because they get straight on top of you.

also was halfway through a really difficult fight at a lizard outpost near garudo desert, managed to kill all but the last lizard guy and got a blood moon, instantly bringing back those lizardy-bastards and wasting the last 20 mins or so of gameplay/potions/food/weapons/arrows.

i'm trying to like this game, it's just really irritating.

Grizzly

Post by Grizzly » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:37 am

I see what you are saying about the lack of touch screen. But imagine this.

Weapon/shield breaks during combat with a large enemy, you look down at your touch screen and then let go of either the direction stick or dodge button to tap on the touchscreen. Link gets walloped in the process, ending in your death.

A touch screen interface only really adds benefit if the game plays out in real time. See Twilight Princess HD for an example here where the touchscreen was handy for changing into iron boots on the fly. It wouldn't do so well in Breath of the Wild for the above reason.
I write for...
Check us out for news, reviews and features on the blackest of consoles.Image

JamesC

Post by JamesC » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:18 am

Grizzly wrote:I see what you are saying about the lack of touch screen. But imagine this.

Weapon/shield breaks during combat with a large enemy, you look down at your touch screen and then let go of either the direction stick or dodge button to tap on the touchscreen. Link gets walloped in the process, ending in your death.

A touch screen interface only really adds benefit if the game plays out in real time. See Twilight Princess HD for an example here where the touchscreen was handy for changing into iron boots on the fly. It wouldn't do so well in Breath of the Wild for the above reason.
I don't buy that at all. You could still use the + button to pause to inventory the way you do now - at least during combat. The touchscreen would still make it much easier to switch weapons. Likewise for eating, taking elixirs etc during combat.

There's absolutely no way that this - or something similar - wasn't the original plan. There's no way touchscreen integration (in quite an important way) wasn't being built in when this was planned as a flagship Wii U release.

Grizzly

Post by Grizzly » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:30 am

JamesC wrote:
Grizzly wrote:I see what you are saying about the lack of touch screen. But imagine this.

I don't buy that at all. You could still use the + button to pause to inventory the way you do now - at least during combat. The touchscreen would still make it much easier to switch weapons. Likewise for eating, taking elixirs etc during combat.

There's absolutely no way that this - or something similar - wasn't the original plan. There's no way touchscreen integration (in quite an important way) wasn't being built in when this was planned as a flagship Wii U release.
They said in a recent interview that it was planned but they were going to scrap it anyway as it took players out of the game. Being released on the Switch also probably exacerbated things but it wasn't the sole reason.
I write for...
Check us out for news, reviews and features on the blackest of consoles.Image

JamesC

Post by JamesC » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:39 am

Grizzly wrote:
JamesC wrote:

They said in a recent interview that it was planned but they were going to scrap it anyway as it took players out of the game. Being released on the Switch also probably exacerbated things but it wasn't the sole reason.
Well they would say something like that. They're not going to say "we're altering the Wii U version to make it easier to cross develop with Switch. This means removing touchscreen functionality".
I can't see how touch screen integration could possibly take you out of the game more than having to pause into an inventory screen every time you want to pick up a new weapon and your inventory is full. Or having to do the same to eat food or take elixirs.