Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Havantgottaclue

Re: Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild

Post by Havantgottaclue » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:24 pm

Matt_B wrote:It's worth remembering that you can almost always teleport to the safety of the nearest shrine or tower. That's not always going to get you out of the middle of a fight, but it certainly does help when you find yourself stranded somewhere and unable to get out. Getting a good network of teleport locations unlocked will save you on a lot of back-tracking too, plus you can definitely use the extra hearts.

As for the graphics, I'd think they're maybe 10% hardware limitations and 90% artistic decisions, as opposed to Skyward Sword where it seems like they had Hobson's choice but to go for something very low-fi. Give it another five or ten years and they'll still look great, where other games will be very obviously showing their age.
Ooh, very clever ... I'll try that next time I get into a spot of bother.

I think you're absolutely right about the graphics, I expect them to stand the test of time.

At the minute I am rather worried that I blew my good swords on a side quest that wasn't worth it, by beating a group of pig-troll thingies down on Hateno Beach in order to stop them from rustling some sheep owned by one of the villagers. And all for what? 10 bottles of milk and the crappy loot the baddies left behind. Still, it was a good test of the Ironshroom skewer I cooked - when it says your defenses are up, it really means it! I just don't know at the moment when I'm going to get more decent weapons ... I suppose I will just have to be patient.

Also encountered a shrine last night where you roll a ball around a maze using motion controls. I guess it's nothing new really, but it just shows how the game keeps throwing up new surprises and game styles.

Restless crickets though? Struggling to find any of those to be honest even if I creep around in the long grass.
Soon you will have forgotten all things: soon all things will have forgotten you. (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 7)

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:02 pm

ok I've put about 12 hours into this and i'm bored rigid by continuous insta-death, I've kept playing in the hope something fun will happen, it has not. I've not tried any open world games before, I've watched people play them and noted how they are not my cup of tea, Zelda does nothing to change my mind, it's too sprawling and tediously trial and error. heres my main gripes:
-hate the breakable weapons, shields and bows. it's just not a fun system.
-crafting is annoying and boring - trial and error. it doesn't add depth to the game, just the illusion of choice. and is wasteful of hard won items leading to frustration. takes ages even if you skip the stupid animation.
-befriend a horse, tame it, register a name for it, look after it and then find a loads of places on the map a horse can't travel so you have to leave them behind anyway. pointless.
- super powerful enemies one hit killing you without warning.
- auto saves at locations where there's an enemy ready to one hit kill, and they do so every time you restart the game. you so you have to go back through the saves and lose progress (seriously this has happened 3 or 4 times)
- attacked by characters for just talking to them, leading to death multiple times early on in the game
-no charm to the game, no memorable characters (yet?) actually the great fairy is a brassy lady and a bit disconcerting but that's it
-game starts out rock hard and gets easier to the point where dying is just annoying and pointless.
-stamina wheel needs to sod off.
-for me having loads of procedurally generated terrain and some systems which interact is not as engaging as crafted story and memorable characters
-illusion of freedom and living world is illusion and I don't buy it, just find it tedious.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:10 pm

careful now boys, some of these posts are getting far too negative, are you sure it's botw you are actually playing?

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:25 pm

it's deffo BOTW i'm playing...open world games....pah! if one game was going to sell the open world idea to me it would be a Zelda or Nintendo developed title. open world - Its just not my thing, just like hyrule warriors didn't sell me on those one dude twatting an entire army games either.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:14 pm

I died for only the third time tonight (was scaling a cliff when I slipped off a part where two different faces joined together...) though came close another time when I got caught in a monstrous explosion at an enemy camp when a load of barrels went off. Somehow limped out with half a heart intact and managed to heal up quick with food.

Still really enjoying it. For me at least, I think the game just doesn't stop looking beautiful. I love standing atop a high ruin/wall and just looking at the scenery for a bit.

Had an entertaining moment when shooting a bee's nest out of a tree and watching from a distance as the bees attacked an enemy camp and caused enough chaos for me to swoop in and finish them all off :)
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:06 am

The general consensus seems to be that the weapon durability system is just bad design. Sure, in theory it should mean that you save your best weapons for the key fights that matter, while using inferior ones for the random ones while you're getting around the landscape. However, in practice you'll likely end up finishing the game with a spiked boko club because you know you'll always be able to pick up another one from a respawning enemy, while all the really good weapons sit in your inventory unused, because you're never really sure how many more boss battles you are from the end.

Horses are a liability, but then again they are in pretty much every other Zelda game. If you need to travel a long way either teleport or climb a mountain and use the hang glider. Maybe train one up for fun and name it after your favourite brand of glue. Don't take one into a fight or anywhere dangerous because it'll probably die.

The stamina wheel sucks initially, but at least it can be upgraded. Indeed, once you've accumulated enough hearts to avoid being one-hit killed by most of the enemies you come across - about eight or so should suffice - I'd concentrate on doing that. The natural obstacles of the map pretty much go away at that point; you can climb any mountain, swim any river, glide vast distances, etc. as well as being able to run away from any fight except the aforementioned one-hit kills. There are some recipes you can make to give you a temporary stamina boost too, but it's much easier to replenish hearts with food.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:01 am

Matt_B wrote:Horses are a liability, but then again they are in pretty much every other Zelda game. If you need to travel a long way either teleport or climb a mountain and use the hang glider. Maybe train one up for fun and name it after your favourite brand of glue. Don't take one into a fight or anywhere dangerous because it'll probably die.
Mounts are pretty much the same in every rpg I've played apart from Trove so it's not something unique to Zelda. They're fun for about ten minutes then they're usually rendered useless by fast travel (every rpg ever). It's always easier fighting on the ground than on horseback in my experience (Witcher 3). At best they might serve as handy extensions to your inventory (Skyrim).
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

Trixta

Post by Trixta » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:56 pm

I think some of the criticisms in this thread are valid.

The reason for people dying so much is down to equipment durability. In most situations you die from running away, unlike other zeldas where you would stay and fight. I can see why they added durability, but they could've at least been sensible about it. "Most" items break after 2 fights, later in the game you start to get weapons drop with a stat that gives a little more dura. Theres also links staple weapon, which does not break, but you wont be getting that until late in the game.

As for cooking, Ive NEVER mixed any different ingredients together, I also stick with x5 of the same to avoid failure. I know the cook books that you read will give you recipes, but I finished the game never needing any.

Also it seems as tho some enemies scale as your character becomes more powerful. Its not uncommon for me to still get 1 shot by most monsters with 15+hearts.

The stamina wheel I dont really have any issue with, infact I find it pointless. Any large cliff you climb always has spots you can stop at to regain. You can get armour and food that increase your climb speed. Is also "something" (to avoid spoliers) that you get from completing one of the divine beasts that also helps.

If your finding the game to hard, Defeat the divine beasts in the following order, elephant, lizard, bird and camel (not telling you why to avoid spoilers).
psn- jason_trixta
wii u - trixtaa
twitter - @jason_trixta

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:20 am

Jim Sterling is getting some major flack for daring to give it 7/10. The perfectly rational response of the fanboys was to DDOS his site and send a load of death threats

http://www.polygon.com/2017/3/13/149128 ... ng-opinion

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:50 am

Negative Creep wrote:Jim Sterling is getting some major flack for daring to give it 7/10. The perfectly rational response of the fanboys was to DDOS his site and send a load of death threats
His follow-up video about all this was pretty funny.

But it's just that same old minority element of the Nintendo fanbase that always embarrasses itself with lunatic fervour. The slew of 10/10 reviews must have got them even more giddy than usual. Most people are just getting on with enjoying a good game and really strong launch title I think.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:54 pm

Negative Creep wrote:Jim Sterling is getting some major flack for daring to give it 7/10. The perfectly rational response of the fanboys was to DDOS his site and send a load of death threats

http://www.polygon.com/2017/3/13/149128 ... ng-opinion
doesn't surprise me at all, the swivel-eyed nintendo fanboys have never been able to deal with criticism, 7/10 is a perfectly reasonable score, it's probably a little generous if the truth be told.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:42 pm

Problem is scores have been distorted by the likes of IGN and Gamespot constantly giving every major release an 8 or 9. Most games I play I would rate as a 6 or 7, decent but with noticeable flaws that detract from the overall experience

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:58 pm

I've actually got a lot of time for Eurogamer's decision not to score games at all. Then it basically all comes down to the quality of the review. There are plenty of 9/10 games that I will never play because I just don't like the style or execution of the game.

It seems a shame to choose now to complain when there is a glut of really good games to choose from. If you don't like Zelda, play HZD. Or Nier: Automata. Or Nioh. Or Mass Effect: Andromeda.

(etc.)
Soon you will have forgotten all things: soon all things will have forgotten you. (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 7)

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:44 pm

I thought Jim Sterling's review was fair. He raises a lot of good points about the game some of which I'd agree with him on (e.g. the weapon's durability system) and some that I wouldn't (he didn't like the shrine puzzles, where to me they're an essential part of what makes it a Zelda game) but overall, he still liked the game. The backlash seems to be purely about the number he scored it with.

And really, the problem here is the ridiculous emphasis some people will place on metascores. They're not some immutable standard by which any two games can be compared, but rather an extremely coarse metric that's both dependent upon who reviewed a game and their individual scoring system, as well as how well received it is. So, never mind that Jim's review knocked Zelda down a point; that's utterly meaningless. The important point for me is that it's the game that's given the Zelda franchise the biggest kick up the backside since Ocarina of Time, and you can't really put a number on that.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:25 pm

Thing is, a 5/10 is now seen as a bad score when in fact it's just average i.e. neither spectacular nor rubbish. In that context, a 7 is a very good score.

But who cares anyway. Somebody could give the latest FIFA or Call of Duty a 10/10 but I still wouldn't be interested.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.