Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

killbot

Re: Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild

Post by killbot » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:16 pm

ShadowMan wrote:Played a couple of hours of the Switch version, mainly just wandering around the starting area (looking for raw meat to make a specific recipe to acquire a specific item). I like it a lot so far - combat is very fun - the powers you get let you approach combat a number of different ways (such as using remote bombs and very simple stealth to pick off archers) and the actual hand to hand combat feels nicely polished over the last couple of Zelda's I played. Exploration is really fun as there is something fun to explore in any direction you go, and it looks pretty nice as well to boot (some of the environmental effects look top notch).
Yeah, I'm on the same bit! Good so far but the change in structure is a massive wrench if you're used to the old games. This still feels like Zelda, but Zelda crossbred with Elder Scrolls and a big dose of Assassin's Creed. It reminds me of Xenoblade X a bit, as well.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:11 am

And....Amazon haven't despatched the guardian amiibo either!

They really have had a bit of a mare.

It's annoying cause no one will be home to receive it.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:58 am

I ordered 2 copies for the Wii U from Amazon, one for me and one for my Dad.

Mine turned up yesterday, his got delayed until today. Then last night I got an email saying they weren't sure when it was going to arrive.

Used the app and got them to call me. Got an additional £10 promotional credit on top of the £5 they'd already given me plus an extra months prime. I've ordered him another copy elsewhere to be delivered to him Momday. Complaining does work occasionally!

I've played about 7 hours so far, this is so good. I've done the 4 shrines on the Great Plateau and since then I've just been wandering. I have died lots. I keep getting myself into areas that I definitely should not be tackling yet but I don't care. Luckily I've been doing loads of cooking and have tasty meals to keep my health topped up. So far I've unlocked one extra tower and completed 3 more shrines, got myself a horse and some fairly decent weapons. I only had 1 rupee to my name for the first 6 hours!!

I'm just about to head to my first proper mission since leaving the plateau. To be honest I was seriously worried about the Zelda formula being messed with so much, but it still feels like a Zelda game. There's been a few frame rate drops when spinning the camera around but during combat and shrines it's been solid. I was concerned that the Wii U version would be inferior and I'd have to stump up for a Switch but thankfully I won't have to do that until there's more games I'm interested in.

Overall this is looking to be a fantastic game, and quite possibly THE best Zelda game I've played. And I've played them all(including the CDI ones, which are obviously the best...)

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:10 am

killbot wrote:
ShadowMan wrote:Played a couple of hours of the Switch version, mainly just wandering around the starting area (looking for raw meat to make a specific recipe to acquire a specific item). I like it a lot so far - combat is very fun - the powers you get let you approach combat a number of different ways (such as using remote bombs and very simple stealth to pick off archers) and the actual hand to hand combat feels nicely polished over the last couple of Zelda's I played. Exploration is really fun as there is something fun to explore in any direction you go, and it looks pretty nice as well to boot (some of the environmental effects look top notch).
Yeah, I'm on the same bit! Good so far but the change in structure is a massive wrench if you're used to the old games. This still feels like Zelda, but Zelda crossbred with Elder Scrolls and a big dose of Assassin's Creed. It reminds me of Xenoblade X a bit, as well.
So far it feels like Zelda crossed with Shadow of the Colossus for me - I fought an optional boss that felt very much like something you'd meet in SOTC, and managed to take it down without too much hassle. Awesome fun so far!
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:16 pm

I've done an hour or so on the wii u. It's really good although the lack of inventory space is a bit irritating.

Having seen a lot of switch footage, the wii u is a pleasant surprise, I thought it may look a little rough in comparison but it doesn't.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:31 pm

The wife's been playing this pretty much non stop the entire day.

I haven't seen her this engrossed in a new game in over a decade.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:25 am

Played the Wii U version with a mate for a couple of hours and it's not a bad game at all. I do feel the game is being overrated simply because it's Zelda though.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:18 am

The Beans wrote:Played the Wii U version with a mate for a couple of hours and it's not a bad game at all. I do feel the game is being overrated simply because it's Zelda though.
Absolutely its not a bad game by any stretch but it's not 10 out of 10. That's a laughable review score. It's an 8.5. Good, well made open world RPG. Simple as that.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:26 am

gman72 wrote:
The Beans wrote:Played the Wii U version with a mate for a couple of hours and it's not a bad game at all. I do feel the game is being overrated simply because it's Zelda though.
Absolutely its not a bad game by any stretch but it's not 10 out of 10. That's a laughable review score. It's an 8.5. Good, well made open world RPG. Simple as that.
But surely the word Zelda would add at least 1% though? The video that I watched did look good though.
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

sscott

Post by sscott » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:42 am

Really enjoying it. Me and son gonna have seperate play throughs. It's quite hard isn't it! Lol
As a side issue 1-2 switch is a right rip off but the whole family did have laugh out loud moments playing it as a family this morning!

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:27 pm

I don't know, the more I play it the more I discover lots of clever little things. The way stuff interacts sometimes is ridiculous and the more I play it the more I'm loving it. I'm a big fan of the likes of Skyrim but this is on another level in terms of having a living breathing world. It's quite possibly the best Zelda game I've ever played, too. Expect a high score from us along with seemingly everyone else.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:06 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I don't know, the more I play it the more I discover lots of clever little things. The way stuff interacts sometimes is ridiculous and the more I play it the more I'm loving it. I'm a big fan of the likes of Skyrim but this is on another level in terms of having a living breathing world. It's quite possibly the best Zelda game I've ever played, too. Expect a high score from us along with seemingly everyone else.
That's what I've been finding. It makes exploration and encounters really exciting, as I can tackle them in any way I please. Plus it just feels very fun to play, which is always a plus!
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

pratty

Post by pratty » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:31 am

Not played as much of this as i would have liked but enjoying it so far, the feeling of freedom to explore is much stronger than previous games.

My only disappointment is the lack of touchscreen use on the Wii U gamepad, it would be perfect for maps and sorting through all your inventory items.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:44 am

I played it a fair bit over the weekend and I'm liking it so far. A big plus is the art-style; it's easily the most consistent looking Zelda since Wind Waker, and I reckon it's going to date far more gracefully than a lot of the games that would currently pass for having a more realistic look. The slow downs aren't too bad and definitely don't seem game-breaking so far; they are noticeable though and, while I appreciate what they're trying to get out of the hardware of the Wii U, they could probably have cut back a bit on the whistles and bells to get a more consistent frame rate without losing too much.

I don't see it as a radical departure from the Zelda formula in terms of the way it plays, although there's obviously some rather different stuff going on under the hood than with, say, Skyward Sword. That rather telegraphed the linearity of its plot more than usual, although it has to be said that Breath of the Wild is far from the first series that's given you some choice of where to go next and how to get there. There'll definitely be people out there who'll see this as a big thing and go off exploring, although I reckon I'll just play it like a regular game; I'm rarely one to go off and do all the side quests anyway.
Last edited by Matt_B on Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nautical Rudie

Post by Nautical Rudie » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:57 am

My girlfriend picked me a copy up after my Amazon order got delayed, spent a chunk of the weekend playing it (Wii U), absolutely loving it so far. 19hrs in and I've just mostly been exploring, theres so much to do and so many distractions and it looks and plays wonderfully. Only complaint is that the touchscreen stuff that they were obviously testing with Wind Waker HD has been scooped out during the Switch port.
3DS Friend Code: 0130-1873-6926. Give me a shout if you add me!