Bad postal experiences with retro games?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

RodimusPrime

Re: Bad postal experiences with retro games?

Post by RodimusPrime » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:00 am

Treguard wrote:
RodimusPrime wrote:I will not send anything to Italy. Tracked or otherwise.

It has a horrendous reputation for a corrupt inept postal service and so many problems.

I also agree with the above, people who sens cardboard box games in nothing but a jiffy bag.
You're not wrong about the Italian postal service, you'd be as well dropping it into the sea with an address label on it and hoping it gets there. Any Spanish territory that's not on the mainland is about the same too.
I used to think it was Italian buyers causing the issues, but after checking with other sellers and people in Italy, it seems that the Postal service is Part corrupt / part inept and completely unreliable.

It seems they view an address on a parcel as a suggestion rather than any form of instructions and will use any slight misspelling or issue as an excuse to not deliver it and then it dissapears never to be seen again.

I have sent parcels to people in Peru, South africa etc. Russia and Italy are top of my list to never send to. ( apart from obvious countries )
Last edited by RodimusPrime on Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:02 am

Yep. I've only ever shipping twice to Italy, and both times it was because I trusted the person, and hoped the packaging/insurance would see me through okay to them. Otherwise I don't ship there on eBay etc. Likewise Brazil for the same reasons.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:15 am

Mayhem wrote:Yep. I've only ever shipping twice to Italy, and both times it was because I trusted the person, and hoped the packaging/insurance would see me through okay to them. Otherwise I don't ship there on eBay etc. Likewise Brazil for the same reasons.
Brazillian customs officials are the most officious people in the universe. The amount of paperwork you have to fill out to ship anything there is insane. Then you have to make sure you do it at a point where the customs officials aren't all on strike so there's actually someone there to process it...

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:58 pm

davyK wrote:I've had the direct opposite experience. I once bought a Super Famicom game from a Japanese seller (the wonderful Tetris Battle Gaiden) and the seller had carefully folded the empty game box flat and mailed it between 2 pieces of cardboard along with the insert (S Famicom games have a plastic tray insert) , game manual and cartridge packaged as if it was a valuable antique. Was the most impressive piece of packing I have ever encountered.
When i sold my GB, GBC, GBA collection i posted every single game that manner (as some of you lot will already know) :) . Not only is it more effective in preventing damage.....its a hell of a lot cheaper to post as it fits through the slot as a large letter. :wink:
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

dste

Post by dste » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:05 pm

Once had a GC game arrive just wrapped in an A4 sheet of paper, didn't even fully go round the box. Luckily it somehow made it through the post OK.

Not gaming but once bought a US Con exclusive Buffy comic which the seller wrapped and posted in a 'Fragile, do not bend' envelope. Couldn't fault them, could fault the Postie who decided to ignore that and who folded it in half to get through the letterbox. Was straight round the Post Office kicking off about that.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:09 pm

Well there was this time with an arcade PCB
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Q_YJ9cOX7w

Did see someone post photos on Facebook of a boxed N64 cart that somebody had put masking tape all over in a way that there was no way of it ever coming out untorn to smeg

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:37 pm

Before somebody asked me to do buy it now for a cib Donkey Kong Game and Watch and I said "No I will let the auction run" they sent a message back "I kill you".. Different person won payed straight away and the sent the message "I kill you"

They left me positive feedback and stopped wanting to kill me so all good:)
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:09 pm

Only one bad trader who never sent the item. Just a common PS2 game I think it was, so not a big deal, just annoying. Hard to chase those small claims if the seller has just been banned/shut down. Other than that, no problems. I generally only deal with those with a good feedback history and paypal transactions.

Had a couple that looked like courier van had run over it for a laugh, but luckily didn't damage the insides, just the package, although had many DVDs CDs turn up with damaged clamshells. It's the reason I've never risked buying a Vectrex online despite how keen I'd be to get one :lol: