Biggest surprise/thing you learnt from reading Retro Gamer?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

space_ace

Biggest surprise/thing you learnt from reading Retro Gamer?

Post by space_ace » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:14 am

Growing up, I believed that companies like Microsphere and Digital Integration were massive corporate companies that had huge glass tower blocks in Canary Wharf and such like; it’s hard to believe that so many games which have influenced popular culture and the market going forward were made in people’s bedrooms, basements and homes.

I always had an enormous fondness for that era but even more so after reading those stories over the years; just people, everyday people, weaving tales of wonder and intrigue that went on to be played by hundreds of thousands, if not millions. I think this is the problem with the industry today, it’s all enormously insular – certain ideas would not be accepted now, originality is strangled, humour is largely frowned upon, and people like Jeff Minter would be ushered out the door with a soft broom.

outdated_gamer

Re: Biggest surprise/thing you learnt from reading Retro Gam

Post by outdated_gamer » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:17 pm

Well, that's why the indie scene exists and continues in the footsteps of creativity, originality and restoration of abandoned concepts. :wink:

I think what you're referring to is the "AAA" industry in which case I'd agree, but it's not like they're the only ones around. And sometimes, having a polished unoriginal product is also fine. There's still a lot of work that goes into the creation of high budget games and not all of them are soulless cash grabs that bet all money on production values (although most are and the DLC schemes and compromises to "suit everyone" show it's face in most of today's main-stream AAAs).

thebear

Post by thebear » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:26 am

space_ace wrote:Growing up, I believed that companies like Microsphere and Digital Integration were massive corporate companies that had huge glass tower blocks in Canary Wharf and such like; it’s hard to believe that so many games which have influenced popular culture and the market going forward were made in people’s bedrooms, basements and homes.

I always had an enormous fondness for that era but even more so after reading those stories over the years; just people, everyday people, weaving tales of wonder and intrigue that went on to be played by hundreds of thousands, if not millions. I think this is the problem with the industry today, it’s all enormously insular – certain ideas would not be accepted now, originality is strangled, humour is largely frowned upon, and people like Jeff Minter would be ushered out the door with a soft broom.

we're closer to that period now then we have have been since
one of the biggest collections of classic 70's, 80'S and on wrestling and boxing around - http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee

AceGrace

Post by AceGrace » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:47 am

That Mire Mare doesn't exist. :(

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:35 am

Probably all the stuff in the Live Publishing era on the Konix Multisystem...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

The Hardest of All Freds

Post by The Hardest of All Freds » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:49 pm

That Corpsie can sneak in anywhere....
Going Solo...................