Retro Arcades in Budget Holiday Camps/Parks

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

space_ace

Retro Arcades in Budget Holiday Camps/Parks

Post by space_ace » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:38 pm

I remember about seven years ago that I went on the cheapest of cheap “Sun £9.99” holidays to Caister in Norfolk; we got our money’s worth, just about…

But, in the midst of all that tedium, there was an arcade, one which looked like it hadn’t been tampered with for many years – this man proudly opened it up every morning and it was like a treasure trove of classics; Paperboy, Gauntlet, Dig Dug, Gorf, Out Run, Battlezone, Crossbow, sit-down Space Invaders and Moon Cresta (all original cabs), plus many more. Since speaking with other retro-minded folk, it seems that this is more common than you would think; many of these places have been in the same families for donkeys years and wouldn’t spend any real money on new ones, other than some generic fruit machines.

It’s a bit on the frustrating side because they are often out of bounds for visitors, so tracking them down and encouraging others to visit (unless you holiday there) is not something you can really do, but it does seem there are quite a few of these places out there – you can imagine how many of these parks there are across the UK.

Kaptain_Von

Re: Retro Arcades in Budget Holiday Camps/Parks

Post by Kaptain_Von » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:29 am

About six years ago we went to the Beverly caravan park in Paignton. The arcade there was like stepping back in time to various eras with stuff like Super Hang On, Defender, Virtua Cop, Xevious and even a collection of electromechanicals from the Edwardian era to the 1960s. For someone into that sort of thing I was like a pig in the proverbial for our five day stay.
Cue the music, fade to black...
----------------------------------------------------------
http://kaptainskonfessions.blogspot.com/

AceGrace

Post by AceGrace » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:07 am

There is a really good arcade on the seafront in Hayling Island. 18 Wheeler, Sit down Star Wars cabinet.

lupogtiboy

Post by lupogtiboy » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:15 pm

I found a really good one on the Isle Of Wight at Ryde on the seafront, ironically whilst on a Sun £9.50 holiday in 2015. Here's a youtube video (not mine!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-IVOn9Q7sk

Had quite a few 'older' games, I have a video somewhere of my son playing Ms Pacman2 very badly!
Its small, its fast, its just gone past! www.clublupo.co.uk

its not a proper job, and you can never go too far