Happy Birthday MAME 20 today.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

goldenone

Re: Happy Birthday MAME 20 today.

Post by goldenone » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:38 am

I got given a MAME disc for my original Xbox several years ago and spent hours playing through the classics before the console got relegated to the loft in the upgrade to the 360.

Really miss this & have been desperate to play some MAME recently as I love the old arcade games.....Happy Birthday MAME!!!!

Greyfox

Post by Greyfox » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:33 pm

silvergunner wrote:
Did you ever release the arcade book that we all voted on the cover we liked best? I know it was put on hold but that is the last I remember.
Sorry for diversion here, yes the book has being completed a while now with a great many editions to the book spanning it over 200 pages since I last spoke about it at the RG forums, I've have suffered the misfortune of not being able in locating a printer the can accommodate the quality of the book under a semi handbook format at the correct pricing I want it to be, I don't really like the paperback route or the pricing in the ISBN barcodes aren't cheap, shipping and logistics of a mass production run as well as pricing for the bespoken perks I've envisioned for the book, secondly I work a 40 hour week, so it's a so tight to dedicate time to the book. Believe me I want this book to be a reality more than everyone after putting in about 300 hours plus into it over 4 years with such image heavy content it's crazy. I can only imagine what the ink percentage would be lol.. So this is the reason why it's struggling to suface , I have many things in place for it for, it's simply about the wall blocking logistics :cry:
↓↓Click Link to See More
http://www.greyfoxbooks.com

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:56 pm

In case someone doesn't know - there's a cool filter that makes MAME games look "HD" out there called xBRZ. Here's the site with links:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/xbrz/

It's also available for DOSbox, SNES9x and ePSX and as a plug-in for other emulators out there and it makes the games look a lot more curved. Don't expect miracles with those small resolutions but this is the closest it currently comes to a "HD filter", especially in "cartoony" games. It's quite CPU demanding though, on my non overclocked i5 I can push up to 4x but 5x and 6x both run too slow so forget about running this on some older, below 2 GHz CPUs. What looks better, this edge-smoothing filter, the scanline/CRT shaders (which are more GPU dependant) or the base unfiltered look is, of course, a matter of taste.

edit: oh and xBRZ is also in GZDoom where it makes the textures and sprites look nicely curvy instead of pixely.

stvd

Post by stvd » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:18 am

outdated_gamer wrote:there's a cool filter that makes MAME games look "HD" out there called xBRZ.
"HD"? Does that stand for hugely disappointing? :?

binaryRooster

Post by binaryRooster » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:29 am

I remember a friend asking me if i'd seen Mame. I had no idea what he was talking about and he produced a disc with "Gauntlet" written on it. He loaded it and suddenly the game appeared on the screen. "So...someone's written a version of Gauntlet for the PC?" i asked. "No" he replied "This is the arcade game code. We can download other old arcade games for it was well."

Mind absolutely blown.

For me that's one of my all time great gaming moments when i realised i could play all of those old arcade games again.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:14 pm

stvd wrote:
outdated_gamer wrote:there's a cool filter that makes MAME games look "HD" out there called xBRZ.
"HD"? Does that stand for hugely disappointing? :?
Like I said, you shouldn't expect too much and it's best for cartoony games with clear colours. Here's some shots I took:

SMW

SMW 2

Final Fight

DKC

Doom

Doom pic 2

As you can see, it looks great in cartoony games and gives them a proper, curvy "HD" look, in some other cases like DKC, it doesn't look all that good, but truth be told DKC is actually best with the "composite" filter because a crappy picture makes it look best, as funny as that may sound. Doom looks good too, with curved edges, textures, sprites and all.

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:52 am

My first experience with MAME was a major eye opener - I'd heard of emulation prior, but arcade games on my PC? What black magic is this? MAME's influence is huge, it gave incentive to coders to emulate anything and everything, to publishers seeing a potential market in the retro scene, to giving the scene huge exposure, to companies creating dedicated units using emulation in custom made hardware e.g. the Mini NES.

And that I can play Mr. Do on the bog!